Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Douglas Willey

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Douglas Willey

More sad news for all those that knew one of the great characters in boat racing. I have just been informed by his daughter, Kim, that Douglas died in his sleep over the weekend. He will be missed. He has invited me on many pheasant shoots over the years with his and Jane's hospitality at their 300+ year old manor house. I will never forget his many stories and trips to boat races when we had to stop every couple of hours to have a cop of tea.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Douglas Willey

Douglas, Jane never liked for him to be called Doug, Pip was OK, began racing in the early 60s in the 350H. Later went into the 500 & 700 classes. He had many English championships and speed records. He also competed on the continent and was on the podium many times, but I don't believe he was ever first. He quit in 1986 after stuffihg his 700 into the Danube and spending a week in the hospital in Vienna. There will be more info on him on his club website. www.lobmbc.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Pip" Willey

Ralph, I will always remember Pip Willey telling all the Americans at the World Championships or anywhere else that we saw him, he would always say, "I will never understand why you Colonials wasted all that tea in that harbor." We would always have a big laugh. He was a great guy to be around and an asset to boat racing.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear of the passing of Pip Willey. There are too many funny stories to remember. I wish Chris Applebee would get on here and tell a few. I think it was traditional with him at many races to put a tablecloth on a small table and sit down to have a drink of tea when the five minute gun fired. He was well known as a "guide?" (I forget his name for it) for pheasant hunting. Do I remember correctly Ralph, that one of his famous hunters was Nikita Kruschev or was it Leonid Brezhnev?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Memories of Douglas

It was with much sadness that I learned of Douglas' death.

As a fellow Brit, and someone who has been involved in hydro racing for many years, Douglas was a legend and a true inspiration for many up and coming drivers. The reports of his racing in Europe were the stuff of legends and eagerly awaited by all concerned. Plus of course there were the tales and anecdotes that always accompanied Douglas wherever he went

I'm sure that Ralph, Steve and others that ventured across this side of the pond have many stories to tell of Douglas - it would be great to hear them. There are no doubt many to tell, not only about his love of tea (or as he would put it "a bloody cuppa tea luv") but other 'scrapes' and 'adventures' he got himself into

One that springs to mind is an occassion when his horse was ill and Jane, upon returning home, found that Douglas had moved the horse from the stables into the front room of the house to nurse it back to health.....

He will be sadly missed, but never forgotten, by so many people

Post Thanks / Like

I found it guys. I wish there was a way to transfer what you Steve and Ralph have already started regarding that trip, but anyway, I think this should be the repository for the Douglas Willey stories and pictures. Last time I saw him was at Lakeland in 1993.

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So if you will Steve and Ralph, continue on here so we can here ALL the stories. I have some more, but they are on different threads, so I will retell them here. Just refer back to Dale's thread if you want to start at the beginning, but I think you guys could add a little bit more if you started it over again here. I know Steve can, but Ralph doesn't type as much as he can tell.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I found it guys. I wish there was a way to transfer what you Steve and Ralph have already started regarding that trip, but anyway, I think this should be the repository for the Douglas Willey stories and pictures. Last time I saw him was at Lakeland in 1993.
    Well in 93 was when I got my butt cut and other parts as well. Douglas and I shared a room. Every morning we had to go to Krystal for a sunriser. He said it is a heavenly bit of a sandwich. Then every night it was Outback Steakhouse. I told him that eating that much meat and no salad, he wouldn’t be able to crapfor a week. He said ahh don’t worry Yank, I worry about crapping when I get back to England. Last time I saw Douglas was in 97 at the 0700 Worlds in Cypress Gardens. The first time I met Douglas was in Brussels as said in other post. He was with Paul, and when we got to Grein he introduced me to Bev and Chris as well as Andy Chessman as well as Mike Ward and countless others. They later found out I was working at factory and helped them with their repairs which Deiter really appreciated as it did not take Uli’s time away from factory work, so it all worked out great. One time on a visit to the UK, we visited Douglas at his house in Mumford. This is were I stayed at the bed and breakfast I told about. Douglas showed me around and told me his hose was built in something like 1200. Then he says we had a new addition to the place in 1250. Very old place and very cool. He then took me out in a field to show me his horse. Now I was expecting a pasture like we have here and be able to see the horse. The grass was taller than me! I’m 6’3, he says yes walk about, will find him. So were walking through this tall thick grass and Douglas says, I know he’s close, here some fresh Sh. After a good chuckle, we did find the horse. I still have the hat he gave to me the first time I met him. I think he tried to make me a subject and always told how we Yanks were so rough and crude. I had to remind him often as I did before with,” Sir, I’m not a Yankee, I’m a Southerner!” This brought much amusement to him and other Brits whenI told him that.

Post Thanks / Like

I first met Douglas in Berlin 1976. He and Chris Applebee drove over in his Citroen to race in the World Cup. There was a little round table for two by his pits. When the five minute gun fired in his class he threw a small table cloth over the table, set a small vase with a single rose in it, placed a teacup and saucer on it and poured himself a cup of tea. Then he pulled up a chair and sat down to sip it. Later, Douglas conked out in one heat and drifted against the shoreline. He spotted an old rusted bicycle laying in the grass. While they were towing him back to the pits, he had place the bicycle in his cockpit (no tires) and was sitting on the seat and pedaling.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just now saw this, go back to the other post for the airport explanation.

Thread Information