Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940

Thread: Who's Who in Boat Racing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric Wolf region2N.Y State,Phil VanSickel Region 6 Michigan,Myself James Lee 79CE,John Webster Region 2 Toronto,Ted Abel Region 2 Toronto,here is some others

Post Thanks / Like

Default Phil Van Syckle

Vice President at Kensington Advisors and Managing Director at KMF Senior Housing Investors

Studied at Western Michigan University

Lives in Chicago, Illinois

He's a Facebook member, but doesn't seem to post.

We first met Phil and his mom and dad, on our way home from the Stock nationals, August, 1956. We raced in Michigan that day and we were in a restaurant. The Van Syckle's came in the restaurant. We got to talking and bought an "A motor from them. Then, we spent the night at their cottage on some lake. I saw Phil in Worchester, Massachusetts, 1957 but didn't see him again til 1974 Dayton where he had a very fast D Hydro, BeZoats Boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mark75H;150532]Stig Olaf Fagerstrom

A rough translation of the article of the Flying Finn

https://translate.google.com/?hl=en&...C3%A4%20kaasua.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default "PEP" Hubbell Was the Senior AAU Hammer Thrower for years

Quote Originally Posted by trepanned23 View Post
    My dad and Pep were good friends going way back to outboard races in the Midwest just after WW2

Our machine shop was in South El Monte Calif. about a mile from Hubbell Racing Outboards ca. mid to late 1960's 'Pep" as dad called him, was usually hunched over a mill or lathe and was a quiet and humble type. I only saw him get upset one time. . . a mid level driver came by with a sad story about not having much money and wanted some sponsorship consideration. Pep kind of thought about it for a moment and said "Nah - you're a not good enough driver kid, what else can I do for you?"

Whenever we went over to the Hubbell shop, Mr Hubbell let me look at the 53 Corvette Roadster that he had under a tarp in the garage out back. I wonder whatever happened to that car?

My first car was a 1963 Buick Special that we bought from Mr. Hubbell's wife. This was 1973 and the car had 10,000 miles on the odometer - just broken in! It was a fine car. One day Mr. Hubbell walked me over to a shelf in his shop, looked all over the racks lined with racing parts, reached up and grabbed a pretty good looking exhaust stack (megaphone) It was a Saturday and we had my minibike in the station wagon, heading off to the desert. . . Mr. Hubbell walked over to another parts bucket, grabbed a 45 deg 1/2 inch pipe fitting and welded it into the small end of the stack. Said . . "take off that mini bike muffler and screw this in" - Wow! Now I really had a racer.

It was always our pleasure to run into "Pep" at the Outboard World Championships in Havasu. He would bring his wifes little dog and truthfully, this is the only dog that has ever bitten me in 51 years. It was an angry, yappy little brute

I miss those days hanging out with really, really smart people (small businessmen)who were dedicated to their craft and talked absolutely NO BS. What a bygone era.

I joined the Navy in 78 and lost track of Mr. Hubbell's whereabouts or when he finally passed away.

He was a good guy.
    My father had lots of friends, but Pep was one of his closest. My dad sold Pep his pattern for the KR "A" Johnson Lower Unit. The price....my first bicycle, I was 5.

My brother worked for Pep til he went in the Army, 1953.

My dad helped Pep design the lower Unit that broke the outboard speed record.

Pep rode his bicycle to work everyday. He had one of the first Corvette's, yes, 1953. But he seldom drove it.

Into his 60's and maybe 70's he was the Senior AAU Hammer Throwing Champion.

He didn't get mad, but once in desert Center he ate a piece of pie and ice cream. He asked who made this pie, as he had eaten every bit of it. Several ladies came out of the kitchen and said, "They made it it." He said, "How did you do it? This was the worst pie and ice cream I every ate."
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-27-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My good friend and fellow motor enthusiast had just met with Jim Merten. He doesn't live too far from us, heard he is a real stand up guy. Turns out my buddy may be building a "new" not so new Merc with his help.

Thread Information