Page 1 of 40 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Who in Boat Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's Who in Boat Racing

See new Who's Who
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-29-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile The Hardin's

Tom and Malcolm Hardin. Multi-time National Winners in 250, 350 and 500.

Until Tim Brinkman won the 125 title at Lakeland, I believe that Malcolm was the only US driver to win a World (UIM) Championship in an Alky or "O" class. He won the 250 title at Dayton one year.

Tom was a wonderful machinist and could set-up an engine with the best of his contemporaries. His ALKY lower units are pieces of art and many were made following a stroke that left him with one working arm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default R. Allen Smith

Rusty Rae wrote a short book about "PAPA", it can been seen of the Seattle Outboard Web Page...

Papa and I only started dealing in about 1961. We became close friends.

In my opinion he was the greatest propeller man to ever live.

He made my three blade blanks, which I made the molds and casting. He and I traded casting for props for years...

I only met him face to face once, that was at Atlanta, Georgia, 1976.

Here is a picture of us together...this picture hung on our wall from 1976, until we moved here three years ago...

Miss the signatures on all his notes.......

Regards,

RAS and Mama

Every note ended that way!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default 60's & 70's in Florida

Ed & Mark Hauptner, Homer Greene, Christy Powers the entire Titus family, Orange Bowl Regatta, Gold Coast Marathon, Mercury’s LAKE “X”, Billy Martin, Bahama 500 & Miami Nassau

Just a few of the names and places I am lucky enough to have been able to be around while growing up!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family

Of course everyone always looks to see if their relatives are on the list and a few of mine were missed, and I'm sure others might have picked them out. Vern Kargus for one along with my uncle and his son Tom Kargus. Both National Champions and Grandpa was a huge progressor for racing. Also Don Allen, short time president of APBA and also a huge part of racing for years. Not just for me personally but he has done TONS of the sport. And my dad Don, many might not think of him, but he was one hell of a racer in his time. It's too bad we got some crappy luck on that side of the family seeing that Grandpa, Dad and even my little sister have had Championships lost because of luck. Just a few I can name to start, I'm pretty young so I don't have much to add.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for adding the Mirage Boats family to the list. (Collins) I'd like to add a couple of other race boat builders who were very intrumental in keeping boat racing alive and competitive with *original* designs. The list of those who make alterations to another's original are many, but those who create all-original designs are the true masters and deserve much credit:

Roark Summerford (Designer and founder of STV Boat Company)
    Paul and Darris Allison (Designers and founders of Allison Boat Company)
    David Lee (Designer and founder of Lee Craft Boats)
    Chad Lee (son of above, designer of Lee Boats and the new Aero-Slot race hulls)
    Gary Pugh (founder and designer of Pugh Craft)

Many of the names above are/were also champion racers as well.

A couple of other "movers and shakers" were:

Duke Waldrop (APBA President & Chairman, IOGP Ref and numerous other official positions)
    Red Hindman (reignited overwhelming interest in boat racing in North Texas in just two short years as President of Texas Twisters Racing Assoc. - 1988 and 1990)
    John Schubert (the other J.S., founder of "S.P.O.R.T" racing series in Texas)

Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-29-2018 at 06:29 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default US driver to win UIM World CHampionship

Actually, Skip Birbarie, now owner or at least managing Birbarie Marine in Conneticut won the 250 world championships that were held at Firebird Lake, just south of Phoenix. He was driving a Yale hydro. Not sure of the exact year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stover Hire!

One of my votes goes to Stover in "BU" This is Stover Hire's 56-H, a 1966 B utility boat manufactured by the Hedlund Boat Company of Wilmette, Illinois. Owned by Rodger Werner of Greenwich, Connecticut. Unique in construction, the hull is a cold-molded boat, made of mahogany. Original driver/owner Stover Hire, of Syracuse, Indiana has accomplished much in his racing career. Stover is a very successful driver in both the inboard & outboard classes. Presently he competes in the inboard classes. WNY racing fans have seen him compete in his Hire Voltage rig at both the Launch Club and at Tonawanda races.
    While competing in the BU class, Stover was National Champion in 1961, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1971. He was also National High Point Champ in 1964, 65, 66, 67, 68, 70 and 1971. He earned the distinction of US-1 in 67, 68, 70 & 71, and was US-2 in 63, 64, 65, and 1966. He was inducted into the Gulf racing Hall of Fame in 1964 & 1966. In 1966, Yachting magazine named him to their All-American Racing team.
    During this long and successful run in the BU class, the 56-H was powered by a Mercury Mark 20H conversion motor. Stover actually had 2 of these engines. One was used for everyday races & the other saved just for the Nationals. In testing at the Nationals, it turned out the every day motor was faster, so it was used to win the titles. When Stover eventually moved to inboards, his outboard equipment was sold off. The boat went to Harry Brinkman, Syracuse, Indiana, & the best motor eventually found it's way to Tom Moulder, A&T Engineering, Elk Lake, Mn. Rochester's Jim Hawver purchased the boat, restored it & last showed it at the Clayton 1992 Race boat regatta.
    The engine underwent a complete rebuild by ace Mercury builder Cooper Jess in the late 80's. It has been in storage ever since. The DeGlopper's were able to purchase both boat & motor and reunite the outfit. The DeGloppers then sold the boat to me and sold the motor to somebody else. I have bought the motor from that person and hull and motor are reunited again! The 56-H has been shown at public appearances at many of the vintage shows.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Don Aronow !

When I was a kid this man was my "Hero" of offshore racing.This web site will show you why.http://baldknobmarina.com/aronow.htm
    Last edited by Tomtall; 12-17-2004 at 09:20 AM.
    TOM L.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don Christy (sp?)

Region 4 driver in the 50's and 60's, he drove pink boats and had "some" success

Dave

Thread Information