Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Who in Boat Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's Who............

Hap, Peg & Pat Mulvany, Melvin Cooper, All the Eldridge family, Tommy, David, Paul, and The Boss Lady- Lenore Hooten. Jim Stone, Dave Rawson, John Stevens, Joe Garrick, Doc Bradley, Doc Collins, Alan Ishii. Could go on for days..........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dave Rawson

I saw Dave's name in the list. He raced A, B, and C hydro in Florida from the late 50's until about the late 8o's or early 90's. I think he also ran mods for a while in there. He was good at it & won many races. I can remember helping him in the pits in the 50's and early 60's. He built a number of boats (one of which I still have). He is a fine woodworker and worked for my dad for many years in Ft. Lauderdale. Dave was one of the reasons I got into boat racing. I bought an old A hydro from him to play with in around 1990 & also got a merc 25ss from him. Health problems several years ago beached him but I still see him from time to time in Ft. Laud during the winter. He is a true gentleman and was a great boat racer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Bob Nagode...

Just talked to Jimbo and Kathy, they've been "Snooping" here...why they don't post is easy...THEY ARE FROM THE OLDER GENERATION...

Bob Nagode and Jimbo worked together at OMC, one of their many jobs was fixing broken race boats.... Jimbo is an easy guy to like, actually, so is Bob, it was natural that they became great friends working together..

When you fix broken things, you sometimes, say, "WOW, why would you do it that way? Or what if we did this??" Well, Jimbo and Bob built one boat and it ran quite well, seems they built only two "GOAT BOATS"... but, I maybe wrong...Jimbo was always a respected competitor at the OPC races....

It was their idea to paint Mercury Motors on the side, like "notches" in a gun handle, everytime they beat a Mercury. Ted May did it too, but Jimbo and Bob started it...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tom Ige...says he misses us all...

Tom Ige

We had a race in Brawley, in the spring of 1976. Brawley is a small town that isn't far from the Mexican border, we race there in fresh water that is Coloradro River run off from irrigation. Irrigation water has too much salt, so they run it off into the Salton Sea....The whole area is 150 below sea level and as a result, even though Brawley is below sea level, and the lake is tiny, we could alwys show so very fast speeds there...The lake and area hasn't changed since the first time I went there in 1956...

I'm unloading my D Runabout...no carts for me, (Or anyone else for that matter).. we lifted that "SUCKER"... and a small man introduces himself and I immediately forget his name... He said did I sell any of those props in my trailer??? I said, "Sure." He said he needed "SOME." The word some got my attention. Had had like twenty hanging in my trailer.... He looked at several, aasked prices, then disappeared....

I go back to setting up my boat. A few minutes later he comes back was cash to buy like three props... I say, "This is cool, because those props ain't that great." He says he's going to need more... I say wonderful. He leaves and a few minutes later he comes back with more cash, says, "He wants the rest." This time I ask him what was your name, again... He says, "Tom Ige" and his adds, in his always nice voice, I'm the importer of Yamato Outboards... I say cool and head to the motorhome with my cash...

The club's race chairman's name is Frank Pruess, somehow he puts a class together for these "Tomatoes" (The have red cowlings and some names that sounds like tomato)...

Well, the five minute guns goes off, Tommy has LOADED like four motors out...and they crank them for a full 5 minutes and not one starts. They like sort a like the early Konig's, so my first thought was that the crank pins had slipped and they'd never run...

But Tommy went over and started one, then the next, finnally they all were running. I felt sorry for this nice man, I figured by the end of the day he'd have four broken outboard motors...

Mark Pruess, my cousin, John Heggenburger, Richard O'Dell and I don't recall who ran them...on Saturday and Sunday...The motors ran both days, on Sunday EVERYONE gave them back.... As I say the guy (Tommy) leave I thought we'd probably never see him again.

Monday or Tuesday, Farnk Pruess came by as we were working on the 1977 NationalS bid... He said he was foing to buy one...One what??? A Yamato 80, he said they only cost $300. I figured, they'd be about $1,500.

For $300 I knew they had to be JUNK... But we ran a race at Bakersfield, and they ran all wekend, and they guys actaully bought two from Tommy. Tommy said they'd run for ever...we started believeing him....Tommy was at every race and by the end of theyear, we had maybe 10 guys who has raced the Yamatos and we'd had no engine failures,,,,and if they turned over, Tommy had them running in no time...

In the spring of 1977, I'm Region 12 Chairman and I print $20,000 brochures to promote boat racing...Ron Eisely, a Super J driver prints them at a very good cost to the Region. The boat show is in January, I start passing the brochures out at MY BOOTH (Region 12's, but I got it for free)...and Tom Ige (pronounced EE GAY) has a Yamato booth and he gives out brochures everyday for ten days...

I buy three Yamatoes at $318 each including tax and get the local drivers to make a list. We sell ten new drivers on my "NOVICE" Class...Yamato prop, B hydro boat..

Tommy and I have so much fun we sign up for another boat show...

At the 1977 Nationals we run 20 SS Hydro as we called it, becasue it had 20 Cubic inches... Bakersfield Nationals is a hugh success, thanks in part to Tommy giving away motr parts and buying adds and helping the club...

By the end of 1977 SCOA, our club, has $10,000 in the bank...

The next few years, Stock Outboarding grows...Thanks to Tommy Ige "OUR JAPANES AMERICAN". Tommy was running RB with his Yamato, and at the kilos he blew over and broke his back...

While he was recovering, Tommy was retired military and his wife was from Hawaii...Tommy and his wife decided to sell the Yamato business and return to Hawaii...

I talked to Tommy yesterday...he's well, enjoying Hawaii..he doesn't internet, like he told me the last time I called him...but he says he misses boat racing and the good times we had...

I was looking through an old Speed and Spay magazine, in a letter to the editor, there was a letter by Tom Ige...dated 1952, US. Miliatary APO for an address...He's been a boat racing lover all his life...

Outboard racing owes Tommy a lot, he brought us the Yamato!!!!

Thanks, Tommy...the next time I'm in Maui...I'll stop and see you....

Add; We use to bet heavy on who would win, Tommy or Me....Big bucks...like $5.00 a heat......I always won...always, but Tommy always paid and would bet the next race......

Once at Brawley, I ran fifth the first heat, Tommy came down and wanted to double our bet......considering I'd taken his money all season, I figured, sure we acan double the best.....(I'd run my D Stock Hydro agains the B Alkyies)..sort of a set up, but down...

So, I head for the clockwith about 45 seconds left, I drop off plane and idle...these alkies can't idle...all four B Alky guys jump...I win...Tommy CHEERFULLY pays the bet....

Next spring I sell my D Hydro to Jimmy Dawe and start running MOD VP....

I didn't see Tommy much after that!!! I doubt he ever made a dime from selling the motrs, but he enjoed every minute!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-27-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You water, Russ!!!!

ADD: TOMMY IGE!!!

My brother lived two doors from Jack Snow (Norte Dame/Rams JAck Snaow)... As the Snow's kids grew, JT Snow hung out with Bunker... Mary Carol, JT's late mother was very protective of JT for many reasons, and for the right reasons... But JT (San Francisco Giants JT)...and Bunker were good kids, and pretty much did as they pleased...

We are heading to Needles, in June for a week. Tommy Ige "Invites" himself...which we are all pleased really, but we give him static for coming with "US"...

Tommy loved those Yamatoes and belived they could do anything. He had this little Vee Hull he used as a patrol boat and even raced it once...he had dreams a of a Vee Hull class, I liked the idea, but no one else did...

Tommy had never been to Needles in June...it is 110 degrees at 8 o'clcok in the morning. Tommy tells my brother he's going to pull him on skiis...The current is like 15 mph. I tell Tommy he's totally crazy.. Tommy starts this Model 80 and tries to pull my brother, my brother is pulling the boat backward..after they disappear out of sight....and 20 minutes later...

Tommy, dejectedly, says to Russ..."Russ, you drive, I'll water...." (Not water Ski...water)...

Russ pulled Tommy up on skiis, he skiied by us....then dropped off...

Then he let JT and Bunker take the boat out...even though Mary Carol's last words to us were, "Don't let JT drive the boat." Tommy gave them a 5 gallon can and a funnel. I told JT and Bunker to go up river...so when you ran out you can float back...as it turned, it was pretty cool...they'd go up river until we couldn't see them....then run out of gas...time they'd get her gassed back up and fired up again...they'd be floating back in front of camp....They ran that mother for 5 days...burned about 20 gallons a day.....Tommy never got another ride...He said they were having fun, let'm go... After that week I had a ton of respect for the Yamato 80...(Spring 1977).

That was thirty years ago, but when the family goes skiing today....The question always is, "You driving Russ or you gonna WATER?" (Even if Russ isn't in the boat, that is what we say....we liked Tommy)...

I sold 18 Model 80's for Tommy that year!!! (More than he sold)...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-22-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who's Who in Boat Racing

Dick Pond and Marshall Grant

I am sure that some of the old timers on this board have heard of Dick and Marshall. For those of you who haven't, Dick Pond was born in 1937 in Keokuk, IA, a town just up the river from Quincy, IL. Dick was one of the best knee boat drivers around during the 50's and 60's. Dick started racing in 1953, driving A/B equipment for Ross Gibson out of Macomb, IL, and C/D/F equipment for Marvin Penn out of Meyer, IL. In one weekend in Texas and Oklahoma, Dick won 20 firsts, five seconds, and one third in 32 races. He won D Runabout championships three years in a row (1957, 58, and 59). In 1959, he was national high point driver finishing 20,000 points ahead of his closest competitor. In 1961, he won the B Hydro championship in Minneapolis, MN, driving for Bill Tenney, running a DeSilva Hydro with an Anzani engine.

In 1962, Dick teamed up with Marshall Grant. For those of you who have never heard that name, Marshall was the road manager and bass player for the Johnny Cash band and one of the original Tennessee Three. Marshall owned all of the equipment and Dick did the driving. During this time, they ran the Merc Quincy and Quincy Looper engines. Marshall did most of the set-up and engine tuning. Probably the most famous runabout in racing was the "Ring of Fire" DeSilva that Dick and Marshall campaigned. During this time with Marshall, Dick held five world titles, three straight-away records, and won the NOA North/South Championship US Grant trophy twice.

After Dick quit driving around 1967 or 68, another famous driver teamed up with Marshall. His name was Billy Seebold. At that time, Marshall had switched over to the Koenig engines. Billy and Marshall campaigned the "Ring of Fire II" and another boat named "Miss Folsum". Together this team also won many championships.

Another driver who drove for Marshall was a fellow from Indiana whose name was Danny Kurtz.

All together Dick Pond, or Dickie as some called him, held 12 World Championships. Dick still lives in Keokuk, IA. I see him about twice a year and swap stories and have a cold beer. Attached is a picture of Dickie in late 1950's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ishi..George was a Chicken Sexer...

George, Alan's father was a chicken sexer, but had to give it up becasue of his eye sight... Day old chickens are hard to determine their sex, it was a very garded secret in Japanese families...

George Ishi was a great guy, worked hard for our club. He and Doc Collins were very close...... can't recall Alan doing much, he raced 125 Hydro and B Stock hydro. but I sometimes forget!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default J. A. Lon Stevens by Rich Fuchlin

J.A. Lon Stevens started racing alky outboards in the 1950's. In 1960 a racing accident seriously handicapped lon, forcing him to give up his truck-driving career. Needing a new career, Lon began to build a machine shop in his garage.
    This machine shop served two purposes, rehabilitation for his hand, which was damaged in the 1960 crash, and his sole source of income. The fruits of countless hours spent in his shop working on racing outboards can be seen throught the record books.

Lon's first APBA achievement was in 1962 when he set the C Service Runabout record at 59.027 mph. From 1966 on the F Racing Runabout record book would be laden with the mark of Lon Stevens, known for his 60 and 66 cubic inch "Full House Six". The current 1100cc Runabout record stands at 102.705 mph.

Lon, essentially a self-taught man, continued the racing development of the cross-flow scavenged Mercury when O.F. Christener changed to the Quincy-Loop scavanged design. Those "Full House" engines were most recongizable by their removable heads and three additional carburetors to the side of the crankcase. There are many champions that have utilized Lon's engines to achieve success.

Aside from working on engines, Lon was also involved in local politics. Lon was the chairman of Region 11 and was responsible for initiating the 44 cubic inch Mercury Class in the PRO category, currently fun a Formula E in the Modified Division. Lon also had a good eye for hydroplane design. Working with his son, the late John F. Stevens as his driver, they were able to overcome the high center of gravity problems inherent to the in-line Mercury. The current kilo record for 1100CC Hydro is 122.376, set by John F. Stevens, twenty years ago, stands as a tribute to father and son...

Written by Rich Fuchlin July 8, 2001...Published without permission...I'm assuming he won't mid...

Lon and Rich go way back..Lon is a great guy, a real throw back to the OLD DAYS!!!!!

Jeff Akers supplied this image:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-30-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan and Doc

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    George, Alan's father was a chicken sexer, but had to give it up becasue of his eye sight... Day old chickens are hard to determine their sex, it was a very garded secret in Japanese families...

George Ishi was a great guy, worked hard for our club. He and Doc Collins were very close...... can't recall Alan doing much, he raced 125 Hydro and B Stock hydro. but I sometimes forget!!!!
    I remember attending a "World Championship" alky race in Alexandria. LA around 1972. It was the weekend after the PRO Nationals in Depue. We went directly to Alex and were the second trailer to arrive. Doc Collins and Alan were the only ones there with a few pit crew. And they we testing quite extensively. Seemed that they were running a bunch of runabouts and a M hydro. I thought that they did well, but it was a long time ago and as a seven year old, I had no attention span. I remeber Doc being a little gruff when we introduced ourselves, but he lightened up after a few minutes.

First race that I remember seeing a laydown hydro. Two guys from Sweeden attended and ran 250 hydro's with round noses and big, bubble windshields.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Wearly...

In 1952, Manny Carnakis got us tickets for the aindy 500. Manny was the Mayor of Bakersfield and had many friends...He bought a block of tickets yearly, and arranged to fly everyone to the race...but we didn't get one of his "BLOCK" of tickets as he'd sold them all...

Anyway, when we got to Indy, Orlando Toriginati and Elmo Balamity were there and they didn't have a car, cause they flew in...no rent cars then, but they wanted to go to Muncey, Indiana and see Paul Wearly...In '52 I was 8...Anyway we went to see Paul in y dad's '49 Chevy...My mom, dad, Orlando, and Elmo... (Elmo was also a rich farmer from Bakersfield...he raced "B"...but was never as famous as Orlando...He was killed in a private plane crash that also took the life of Tommy Ingle's twin sister...Tony, as a
    Navy officer, help make the PT boats go faster than the designer had planned...he was famous for "A" and "C" hydro...

Paul Wearly was in the tombstone business but has a boat business that actually had new hydros in stock...seems they weren't Neals, though. A very cool shop....

To be honest, I don't know anything about Paul's racing...except that if my dad, Orlando and Elmo wanted to go seem him he must havebeen "BIG TIME"...

I later met, at Brawley and several other races John Wearly, cousin to Paul..Seem his family ran APBA MOD and did well.

Sorry, I can't remember more...but 1952 was a long time ago!!!

Thread Information