Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's Who in Boat Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Drake...

John's father rode with Louis Meyer at Indy. Louie was athree time winner of the 500.

Dale Drake and Louie Meyer bought the Offenhauser Engine plant and built the Offy.

John was an only child and probably my brother's best friend. He was a great boat racer and very talented...The Drake Jet, the Drake Water Pumps...were some of his inventions..

He passed away about Thanksgiving this year. His wife has many pictures of John's boat racing days....I will get them and post them later...

Here is my brother tribute at his funeral...
    And my tribute to a friend...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-06-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh, that was his "TRANSPORTER"...

1969 Dodge Charger....Jimbo had one, too!!!

Here is the Willis...ain't quite "SHOW QUALITY"...but it was used daily....in the old days...That is BOAT 990 at the wheel...(Before they called him "POP"...)...

MADMAN MUNTZ sponsor???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Louie Baumann, Propman

In the 1950's evreyone with any money sent their props to "Texas". When you found out who Texas was, they said Baumann. Later, in the 1960's the shop's name became Bauwmann-Middleton Propeller Service.

Now, the shop is called Baumann Propeller Service.

"Texas" was the DeWald of the era. All props came back from "Texas" with three circular lines scribed on each blade. Props were "Spooned", full dish cup.

The family is still active in the propeller business...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tom Ige

Ron, I've heard that there is a little more to the Yamato/Tom Ige story.

We know that the earliest Yamato racer was a close copy of the Merc KG7Q ... what I heard was that Tom was the one who got the Yamato people their KG7 to reverse engineer and improve to make their first racer. Could you ask Tom if this is true the next time you talk to him?

If this is true it explains how Tom was connected enough with the Yamato factory to get started selling motors in the US .... they "owed him" from their beginning

AND we all owe Tom more than we can repay him. How often has a single racer done so much to benefit so many individuals and racing in general?
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-31-2004 at 01:03 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It would make sense...

Like I said, I saw a letter from Tom Ige in a 1955, Speed and Spray...So, Tom had been around.....and interested in boats...

I might ask Tommy.....Tommy is a Japanese-American.....I don't know if I will ask...and I don't know if he'd tell me... Giving a KG-7 to the Japanese, at the time, may have been considered UnAmerican.

I would rather think that Tom was in the American Military, stationed in Japan and made the contacts himself, as he is fluent in Japanese....and he did serve our country for more than 20 years.

I might "BROACH" the subject with him....from a pure historical point, it would be nice to know....

Someone just said,
    "Build it and they'll come." Tommy brought them, with time, money, love, energy....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Maypole

Sam- Found this article on Jack Maypole.Will you please post it to his name please? Thanks - Tomtall

It is done . This isn't exactly the way I think is best to do this, and credit must be given to Marvel Characters Inc, the copywrite holder.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 01-04-2005 at 05:09 PM.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Bud Wiget,Ethal Wiget

Sam- Would you please post this with Bud and Ethal Wigets name? Had to post on two posts due to size. Thanks - Tomtall

The link is made. Again, credit to Marvel Characters, Inc. The author is listed as Blake Gilpin. Blake was Mrs. Hank Bowman; most likely the article was written by Hank using his wife's name.
    If you came to this thread via the link on the first post of this thread, use the link below to get to the other images containing the story.

Link to post #81 with the rest of the story

Last edited by Mark75H; 01-04-2005 at 05:39 PM.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bud and Ethal Wiget

Last two attachments of Wiget history from Boat Sport Magazine, Marvel Characters Inc copywrite holder.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 01-04-2005 at 05:19 PM.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frank Zorkan.....

Frank has been building boats since at least 1955. He raced a 20-H on a Mishey hull, natural wood and red deck for many years, when the Hot Rod was winning. Seems he never gave up on the 20-H.

Later, he had a pretty fast 20 SSH and a very fast VC Konig B...

He rode deck for me several times in F Runabout...not sure I ever thanked him...He got hurt riding deck at Sparks, Nevada (Not riding with me).....a long time ago...but I think that ended his racing.

His boats have won countless races. His prices have always been more than fair..He has always given his all to anyone that needed help.

I'm not sure how old Frank is, but it doesn't matter to him. When there is a boat race, he goes.....His wife Wanda Refereed several Mod Nationals and went to the races for many years...but, Frank usually goes to the races along, now...all the way from his home in Phoenix, AZ...

He has been loyal to boat racing for at least 50 years...

This is Frank at the Winternationals, 1968 at Topock!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-09-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hellsten

My brother Chris Hellsten

He started racing when he was 9 in JSR and was the youngest world champion at the age of 11 in 125H in Alexandria. That same year Mel Kirts was the oldest world champion at the age of 80. Somewhere we have a great picture of the 2 of them side by side.

Multiple competition records, Multiple inductions into the Hall of Champions(4X I believe), too many to mention National Championships.

Also My dad Pete Hellsten:
    APBA Honor Squadron, Hall of Champions, Pro Commision, Competition records.

Curt Hellsten
    Hall of Champions, Competition records, National Championships.

Kristi, here's the 2002 APBA Honor Squadron bio on your dad, Pete Hellsten: At age 16 Pete began a 50 year racing career when he repaired a motor and designed a soap box runabout. He won many PRO Hight Point titles and set speed records with engines he designed and built. A PRO Comission corner stone for years, he was an original member of the Long Island Eastern Outboard Racing Club. He served in most every official capacty in many clubs and chaired Region 5 and APBA National Meetings. Pete earned a 1980 Hall of Champions induction and brought his children Chris, Curt and Kristi into racing. Just before he lost his battle with cancer in August 2001, Pete was setting up his new racing shop! Racing outboard hydroplanes was truely Pete Hellsten's passion
    Last edited by Mark75H; 01-06-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Thread Information