Thread: Who's Who in Boat Racing

Default T. C. McKean: Ray McKean

T.C. Thanks for posting. I NEVER really knew your dad. I was about 11 when those pictures you posted were taken. But I have a few Ray McKean stories.

Let me fill in a few blanks in your pictures.

1st picture is Long Beach Marine Stadium...M Hydro, the only boat I recognize is the third place boat, driven by Craig Spencer. Craig's son, Mark, became Editor of Powerboat Magazine.

The next picture, that I recognize is 1955 at DeAnza Cove, San Diego, California. B Hydro, new Mark 20-H's... Inside is the Great Bobby Parrish (DeSilva Hydro) from Bakersfield. Bobby's brother, George, also raced. They were farmers, who also happened to have oil/gas under their cotten in Bakerfield. The Parrish Family got into an argument with the US Government over "SOIL BANKING" and they moved to Australia. The Pafrish Family are still cotton farmers in Australia.

Bobby Parrish married Gladis or Alice Parish. His wife's brother was Dick and Charles Job. Dick was a boat racer and owned R.E. Job Construction. Charles's son, Richard raced 20 SS and C hydro, Granson Steve raced A hydro, His Dawe boat is now called "HERBIE" driven by Amada Rich from Fort Mojave, Arizona....

BOAT 4, is Howard Thompson, (Driving a DeSilva "Flying Sling Slot" pickle fork hydro) Howard married the other Job sister, either Gladis or Alice. Howard's son is heavy in to go kart racing. He owns a go kart business in Temecula, California...

120-C was of course, Ray McKean

26-U was Ivan Hudspeth from Denver. But, at the time of this picture, he lived in Bellflower, California, three blocks from my parent's home

35-C was Dick Garlow, that was a Champion Kit boat, but he was club, USA (United Speedboat Association) High Point, 1955.

The next picture is 120-C Ray McKean
    324-C is a Swift hydro, and I can't remember who is driving for sure, but almost think it is John Klute from Pasadean. His son, Steve Klute is a state senator.

Flood Control channel in San Diego...After the races, "US" younger guys, and YOUNG AT HEART always went on the roller coaster with mostly Sailors...We always loved San Diego... The boat on the outside with a CROW on the deck, I'm pretty sure is Bob Davidson. Inside, with the SR "B" is Bill Bauman, I think.

Last picture is Lake Mead, September or October 1955. 212??? 35-C is Dick Garlow, Bob Davidson on the inside... This was the only race after the 1955 Nationals at Devil's Lake Oregon...

We raced on TV for 39 straight weeks, about this time. Joe Moore a plasterer, raced D Runabout, he had a Kean Craft D Runabout. I recently ran across Carl Myers, who was Joe's best friend. We are going to try to find Joe as he now lives in San Marcos....California.

My borther was a TKE at Long Beach State. He had a fraternity brother name Charles Riely. Charles had a Kean Craft B Hydro. When, Pat Boone was filming his movie Bernadine, my brother borrowed "Riely's" Kean Craft and took it to Lake Saguaro for the movie filming...He went with his then girl friend, Betty Pinarelli, who had a Terrill hydro...My brother bend my A runabout prop, and the movie company paid $32 for a new one....

Hope your father is doing well...

Seems he was a good friend of Harry Day...My brother may have a story or two about Harry Day and Ray McKean...

ADD; Missed that picture of your dad upside down...That is at Hart Park, Bakerfield (Long before Lake Ming was built)...May, 1955, my first boat race.....

Missed a couple of pictures;

C-15 wis John Drake, who was my brother's good friend, and son of Dale Drake of Meyer/Drake Offenhausen Indy 500 engines. John was running a Champion Hot Rod...The boat is a Fillinger rebuilt by Dale Drake.

77-C is Gary Ferguson, (Champion hull with a Custom deck) who is a tooler/designer TODAY, for Advantage boats in Lake Havasu City, AZ, the backward Mishey boat is Bob Martin. 100-C is Paul Breed a pilot for the U.S. Coast Guard...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 09-22-2007 at 07:30 PM.

So whats the story with Clark Maloof nowadays? I read Ron's lil thing about him, but is there any way i can get in contact with him, I have a few questions for him. Last weekend I was talking to a Shawn (or Sean) Kavinaugh (have no idea if that is the correct spelling) and he said Clark is wanted by the FBI and he left the country, but I couldn't tell if he was joking. I think he was, but I don't know.

Thanks, Silas.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar

Default Clark Maloof

Quote Originally Posted by Calendar_Girl_9B View Post
    So whats the story with Clark Maloof nowadays? I read Ron's lil thing about him, but is there any way i can get in contact with him, I have a few questions for him. Last weekend I was talking to a Shawn (or Sean) Kavinaugh (have no idea if that is the correct spelling) and he said Clark is wanted by the FBI and he left the country, but I couldn't tell if he was joking. I think he was, but I don't know.

Thanks, Silas.
    Nope not joking!

Team Member

James, Kenneth

Team Member

Default Razorback Boat Racing Association

Here are a few more names for the "Who's Who." During the 1960s and 70s, the following boat racers were based out of Arkansas, belonged to the Razorback Boat Racing Association (RBRA), and raced across the south and southwest at events sponsored by either the APBA, AOF, RBRA or OBRA (photos and such to follow when I figure it out):

Vernon Ashley: Out of Hot Springs, L-48, D Runabout, also pitcrewed for Steve Ketzer and ran some of Steve's boats when Steve Jr. was here or there with the USAF or in college. No one was more fun in the pits than Vernon.

Joe Bolton: Out of Texarkana, TX (not an RBRA member), C Service Runabout.

Charles Bradley: Out of Hot Springs, L-113, D Runabout.

Tommy and Jeff Goslee: Out of Hot Springs, L-43, ran C Service Hydro and Runabout. Dist high point on more than one occasion. The Goslee's were always competitive and consistent.

Micky McGuire: Out of Hot Springs, L-12(?), B Hydro. Micky couldn't see too good.

Roger Purtee: Out of Hot Springs, L-220, B Hydro.

Jerry McMillian: Out of Dewitt, sometimes ran L-113 C and D Runabout for Steve Ketzer.

Steve Ketzer, Sr.: Out of Hot Springs, L-113, B,C,D and C Service Hydro and Runabout. Dist High Point on more than one occasion. Founder of RBRA.

Steve Ketzer, Jr.: Out of Hot Springs, L-113, C & D Hydro, and when he was forced into it, Runabouts for same and C Service.

Edward Ketzer: Out of Hot Springs, L-113, President of RBRA and pitcrewed for Steve Ketzer. Like Steve, a top notch aircraft mechanic which translated well into boat racing.

Bill Henderson: Out of Hot Springs, D Hydro.

Kid Smith: Out of Oklahoma (a member of the OBRA), D Hydro and Runabout. The Kid died in a boat racing accident in Oklahoma.

Team Member

Default Hi Steve Ketzer Jr.

Hi Stevie:

Your Dad had a number of beautiful boats. If you have any pictures, would love to see them again, if you could post them here. You mentioned Mickey McGuire, Is he still a cop in Hot Springs. Butch and I (Stan Leavendusky Jr.) always enjoyed coming down to Arkansas and running with your bunch when we lived in KC. I am glad to see you here on BRF

Bill Van

Team Member

Default Sooie-Pig

Ah, to be called Stevie again! Great to hear from you, Bill! I'll round up some pictures, including the boat dad got from you and re-named, "Sooie-Pig" that I flipped at Monroe...went through the windshield which was when your green plexi-glass was replaced with clear. Yeah, we weren't always the fastest, but were usually the prettiest, unless the Master-Oil boys were there. Unfortunately for the photos, dad mostly took slides and 8mm, so the pictures will be just so-so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member

Default More L-113

Here are a few more shots of Ketzer's L-113 boats. I don't know where Micky is at these days, Bill. I'm up in Alaska and don't get down there too much. Dad passed away in 1993: way too young.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome pictures, Steve
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar

I agree with Sam Steve. Any pictures that aren't dots and you can see boats and people are good. These are better than average. You can clean up old age and some deterioration with a computer and programs, and I found that BRF provides the best incentive to learn how. About those slides Steve....you need to get them out and take a look. They can go bad from a lot of reasons. There are scanners that you can copy slides with as well. The following pics are from slides, as are 99% of the color pics I have posted. So you need to check on them and scan them before they are lost.

Now to your Dad Steve Ketzer, Sr. He was a great guy. I'm sorry to hear he passed too soon. The first pic is the one I wished I had him sign for my autograph collection. All of these were taken at the third and final race my Dad, Marshall Grant and Tim Butts helped put on at Hot Springs. The year was 1974. My Dad says your Dad provided the inspiration behind the artist rendering of the hydro driver on the last NOA World Championships (alky) ever held. It was 1972 in Alex. I don't know if that's true, but my Dad delighted in telling that story.

Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast

Thread Information