Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wings

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

well think it has to do with ware your from, the old guys called it rocker,Hook,
    hook was and is something You do not want, that is when the hull comes around
    with no request to do so.seems to have alot to do with how much flex the Booms have indapendantly of each other.

are you goin after 117mph wing record, or 112 or what ever it is?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

all hulls have it, negitive, neutral, or possitive.
    the Hook that T2X is talkin about is the same thing as rocker.
    which is the the profile of the shoe front to back when the hull is level as it would be on plain.

hook is allso used to talk about the big suckin dent in a hull when glassed poorly, seems to happen when you pullit to early. or the layers don't kick right.
    Last edited by Fast Fred; 09-13-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "rocker"

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred
    all hulls have it, negitive, neutral, or possitive.
    the Hook that T2X is talkin about is the same thing as rocker.
    which is the the profile of the shoe front to back when the hull is level as it would be on plain.

hook is allso used to talk about the big suckin dent in a hull when glassed poorly, seems to happen when you pullit to early. or the layers don't kick right.
    All hulls do not have it. Rocker does not universally refer to the trailing edge shape. Rocker refers to a convex bottom shape only, hook refers to a concave bottom shape only. If your boat is straight and flat it is just straight, flat or "true" ... it has no "rocker" or "hook" ... No terms such as "neutral hook", "neutral rocker", "negative rocker" or "negative hook" are commonly used or understood.

I've never heard "negative rocker" before this thread ... and I know guys from all over. What you and your friends are doing is making up your own language; you'll have a hard time communicating with other racers if you don't use the same terms the same way.

"Hook" as a verb, where your boat spins out, is completely different and not related to or caused by bottom shape.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    All hulls do not have it. Rocker does not universally refer to the trailing edge shape. Rocker refers to a convex bottom shape only, hook refers to a concave bottom shape only. If your boat is straight and flat it is just straight, flat or "true" ... it has no "rocker" or "hook" ... No terms such as "neutral hook", "neutral rocker", "negative rocker" or "negative hook" are commonly used or understood.

I've never heard "negative rocker" before this thread ... and I know guys from all over. What you and your friends are doing is making up your own language; you'll have a hard time communicating with other racers if you don't use the same terms the same way.

"Hook" as a verb, where your boat spins out, is completely different and not related to or caused by bottom shape.
    Well said Sam.......

Isn't that the name of a Rock Group?

Or am I thinking of John Lee Hooker?

Or an ageless Rocker named Mick?

Perhaps Fred is on to something....soon we can say things like my inverted step hull is in need of additional post planing reflective hook, whereby I am capable of attaining a noticeable reversal of decrease in mph allowing me to repair the broken record..... easily.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, mess with Freddy day, even the dude with the 500+hp dust collector
    OK Mark75H, ware did you say i could get that book,drawing progam thing?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.aeromarineresearch.com/index.html

With this information you could possibly design and build a boat that looked like a Switzer, but worked even better (excuse the blaspemy )
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-13-2006 at 06:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's the one I was talking about.....

Post Thanks / Like

That's 700+ hp dust collector to you fella......

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6
    Thanks for the pic. That's the first picture I remember seeing of a center seat wing.
    Mercury cut off the upright cowlings and cockpits of the wooden Miss Skyway Wing and decked over the resultant open sponson areas. They then placed a single cockpit in the center of that wing as well and Dave Craig raced it in the January 1966 Orange Bowl Regatta. He was not competitive and I never saw the hull again. I was told it was burned shortly thereafter.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T2x
    Mercury cut off the upright cowlings and cockpits of the wooden Miss Skyway Wing and decked over the resultant open sponson areas. They then placed a single cockpit in the center of that wing as well and Dave Craig raced it in the January 1966 Orange Bowl Regatta. He was not competitive and I never saw the hull again. I was told it was burned shortly thereafter.T2x
    Could you go back and look again, it doesn't look like a wooden boat to me: post# 16 It just means there was more than one center cockpit Wing

Thread Information