Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    Could you go back and look again, it doesn't look like a wooden boat to me: post# 16 It just means there was more than one center cockpit Wing
    I'm talking about a different hull...the one in post #16 is a standard glass 18 footer with a hole in the top of the wing section and no standard cockpit cutouts. The Skyway was cut down to a flat deck layout.....

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Canadian, Thunderbolt 16, Not sure i'm likein this style deck, am Likein the P-38 look of the 18'er, but for sure likin the way She flys, (we call it climin on the Bubble, but that mite not be how you say it, but that is what she's doin and doin it well. ) with 280hp.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Miss Diablo 3 in Quincy IL Today

Quincy Boat Club held its sixth annual classic boat and motor show this weekend. Thursday evening we learned that Kenny Kitson was coming with the Switzer Wing. On Saturday we had some high winds. Kenny decided not to run the boat. We did have some excitement as Dale Littlejohn from Peoria IL brought his Glastron Carlson single cockpit tunnel with a 150 Merc on it. Dale made three nice passes but on the fourth pass headed south, he caught the wind and blew it over backwards. Luckily Dale was not seriously injured - some minor bruises and scratches. The boat was busted pretty good but it is repairable.

On Sunday morning the weather was heavy overcast and we had a 1.5 inches of rain. At about 1:30 it cleared up a little bit and Kenny did get the Wing in the water many passes for all to see the boat in action. The crowd was very appreciative. Kenny and I had a great conversation about several of the old drivers who used to come and race in Quincy. For those of you in the Midwest area, the Quincy show is getting bigger every year. We would like to have anyone with old racing equipment to come join us next year. Quincy is located 300 miles SW of Chicago and 135 miles north of St Louis and 245 east of Kansas City on the Mississippi River.

Steve Roskowski, a mod racer, from Indianapolis area brought over a real nice restored McDonald cab-over. The show is usually held the third weekend of September. Mark your calendars and I will post the dates on the events and happenings forum next year.

I tried to post five photos from today but was unable to do so. Kept telling me I was not logged in.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try again Mark 40H. It used to not do that but for some time now, If you try to write or post something that takes a little longer, you get logged out. When it does that just scroll down where it says member name and password and log back in. It will save your stuff, you will have it posted and you can go on back to the forums. Otherwise, if you don't, all what you have done just vanishes in the ether.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1965

Here's my memories of Kenny Kitson. July 4,1965 he was at Lake Park in Lake of the Ozarks. My last vacation with my family before I left for Viet Nam, Republic of. He was tuning and tweakin'. I couldn't believe the turning radius!
    I met him, asked a lot of dumb questions and he answered them all even though he was obviously very busy. A real Gentleman.
    Forever in love with the Wings I took a Polaroid of the Black U4 boat in Chicago at a boat show. I don't know who owned it at the time but I think he was a member of the Chain of Lakes Race Club
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default From Hot Boat, May 1967

I wanted to post these Wings from Hot Boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for them thare shots ROCKET MAN, got that P-38 look, ya 65 was agood year

Post Thanks / Like

What Color Was The T-119 Boat In The Picture That Rocketman Sent?? Anyone Know What Happened To It?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

feelin some blasphemy comin on

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury cut off the upright cowlings and cockpits of the wooden Miss Skyway Wing and decked over the resultant open sponson areas. They then placed a single cockpit in the center of that wing as well and Dave Craig raced it in the January 1966 Orange Bowl Regatta. He was not competitive and I never saw the hull again. I was told it was burned shortly thereafter.
    -T2x
    I asked Dave Craig about this rumor. In 1966 it was not a cut down wing he was driving. It was a completely different hull that didn't work very well. The canopy Miss Skyway was turned back into Mercury never to be seen again. Rumor has it the boat was destoyed when Mr K left Mercury.

Barry the red w/white stripe 119 wing was first Kenny Kitson's and then he turned back into Mercury when he got the lighter Miss Diablo III. Ernie Threlkeld got it next and ran for a while then gave it back to Mercury....it's has never been seen again to my knowledge.

Thread Information