Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Connolly View Post
    I asked Dave Craig about this rumor. In 1966 it was not a cut down wing he was driving. It was a completely different hull that didn't work very well. .
    I don't think that this qualifies as a "rumor" since I was there and raced against it. I will, of course, defer to Dave, who actually drove the boat. I was told at the time that the boat was a cut down Miss Skyway, and, as we have seen, there was more than one of those. In any event, it was all white, had a center cockpit....and didn't perform well.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Switzercraft had a white with red inlay boat very much like T-119 set on 4" pipe in an offset position in front of their factory on Rt 14 for years. It had lettering that said USA-1 on it. Then, about 1979, we had the killer winter from hell. Back when car emmisions were causing GLOBAL COOLING...Bong da De Bong Da De Bong.... Anyway, the car emissions caused global cooling, which in turn produced lots of snow in 1978-79. So much snow that in 1980, a chicago election was lost to the first woman mayor ever elected...

A greater loss, as I read through this thread to global cooling, was the boat Dave and Bobby had on display, which cracked in half and dropped around the poles to the 36" of snow on the ground. As the snow melted during the beginning of the global warming cycle, which we are now heading out of, the boat broke further and further. As the grounds crew began it's spring clean up, it was cut up and taken to the burn pile. Old man Switzer had passed away 10 years or so before, and, if he was alive, that boat would have been restored to race condition and resurrected...That was a guy who could be given a set of boat plans and in 24 hours, the craft would be ready for paint....

Instead, that great boat, USA-1, on disply for 10 years in the Illinios elements, was lost forever, to global cooling......

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of interesting boats got destroyed by out living their usefullness and the ravages of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing, that happens to people all the time in the corporate world.

Reagarding the wing you're referring to that Ernie had. Was that the one he blew ober at Norristown, PA? I was there with him at event. So were Jack Leek and Paul Kalb. Quite a story behind that deal.
    Last edited by Ted March; 12-05-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Reagarding the wing you're referring to that Ernie had. Was that the one he blew ober at Norristown, PA?
    Not sure where Ernie blew his over. It was destroyed and running GT-115's. Can you share anything you remember about it ????

Picture is of Jan's wing which got wrecked in kilo run
    Attached Images Attached Images  

beaver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wing

hi rick is that your yellow wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, took me 5 months to track it down... A little more info and pictures can be seen here....there are two pages - http://www.retroboats.net/gallery/ma...son/?g2_page=1

Post Thanks / Like

What gearcases were on the black and white, or the fourth picture in the list?

Post Thanks / Like

BP's gear cases I believe. I was given them when I bought the wing........wish I had the motors as well. Was told they wound up at the bottom of Havasu when a Kitson Craft they raced blew over. It was pulled up in the late 80's with the stackers still on the motors.

Post Thanks / Like

BP gear cases I believe. I was given them when I bought the wing........wish I had the motors as well. Was told they wound up at the bottom of Havasu when a Kitson Craft they raced blew over. It was pulled up in the late 80's with the stackers still on the motors.

Thread Information