Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred
    it would be cool to get some mesurements for templates, the shoe has alot of neg' rocker.

yup, what he said.

all them pics are cool, that one with the 2.5's , thats kinda what i'm thinkin.

anybody ever see a wing with V8's?
    Fred:

You're taking on something that is VERY different from what you are used to...or think you are seeing.

For instance...the "rocker" you are referring to is actually the airtrap on the outside of the hull trailing upward from the forward sponson...(This is a 4 point HYDROPLANE...not a cat/tunnel)

The idea of V-8's with all that leverage and weight wouldn't work.....although the boat will float with them I believe....After all they floated with THREE motors back in the day....the problem is..as with most V-8 boats..the c/g would be too far back....and the boat has too much overall lift...a bad combo.

If you want measurements..please get permission from one of the Switzers before you lift their design.

Good luck

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

four point, ya seein that,
    .the "rocker" you are referring to is actually the airtrap on the outside of the hull trailing upward from the forward sponson.
    i'm not seein that in the shoe style, but i don't have one to look at, maybe closer inspection i'll see that.
    to fly some 8's i'm thinkin 20', sittin up tight on the leadin edge like the 18'.

was thinkin see about BUYIN some notes, skeches, drawings, from the Switzers
    but thanks for the tip.
    thinkin a Wing with 2xv6's got to go 140+mph, must say it looked impressive

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Dave Switzer about plans, drawings, notes and sketches. He said his brother put wood on the floor and started working ... he followed what his brother started.

The only paper I've heard them using was the story about the actual wing frame which they did by shadow projecting an airplane wing onto paper taped to the wall for the first wing framing sections.

Unless Dave Switzer told me wrong, there isn't anything to buy from them.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

was thinkin it to be the reason to go find them (The Switzers), talk to them about it , see how thay feel about it, and what thay could tell me.

The "Black Coffin" , ya thats lookin like it.
    seems the 18' went to merc, thinkin it's been 30yrs any way since the last one
    made.

Post Thanks / Like

was thinkin it to be the reason to go find them (The Switzers), talk to them about it , see how thay feel about it, and what thay could tell me.

The "Black Coffin" , ya thats lookin like it.
    seems the 18' went to merc, thinkin it's been 30yrs any way since the last one
    made.
    More like 37 years.
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. "negative rocker" is more commonly called "hook".

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

well think it has to do with ware your from, the old guys called it rocker,Hook,
    hook was and is something You do not want, that is when the hull comes around
    with no request to do so.seems to have alot to do with how much flex the Booms have indapendantly of each other.

are you goin after 117mph wing record, or 112 or what ever it is?

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most attractive things I've found about any Switzercraft is that there was never a "hook". In the contrary, one could buy a Checkmate, Hydrostream, Allison, or Invader and commonly have to correct them. If Dave allowed a rocker into that hull I'm betting there was a reason.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

all hulls have it, negitive, neutral, or possitive.
    the Hook that T2X is talkin about is the same thing as rocker.
    which is the the profile of the shoe front to back when the hull is level as it would be on plain.

hook is allso used to talk about the big suckin dent in a hull when glassed poorly, seems to happen when you pullit to early. or the layers don't kick right.
    Last edited by Fast Fred; 09-13-2006 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "rocker"

all hulls have it, negitive, neutral, or possitive.
    the Hook that T2X is talkin about is the same thing as rocker.
    which is the the profile of the shoe front to back when the hull is level as it would be on plain.

hook is allso used to talk about the big suckin dent in a hull when glassed poorly, seems to happen when you pullit to early. or the layers don't kick right.
    All hulls do not have it. Rocker does not universally refer to the trailing edge shape. Rocker refers to a convex bottom shape only, hook refers to a concave bottom shape only. If your boat is straight and flat it is just straight, flat or "true" ... it has no "rocker" or "hook" ... No terms such as "neutral hook", "neutral rocker", "negative rocker" or "negative hook" are commonly used or understood.

I've never heard "negative rocker" before this thread ... and I know guys from all over. What you and your friends are doing is making up your own language; you'll have a hard time communicating with other racers if you don't use the same terms the same way.

"Hook" as a verb, where your boat spins out, is completely different and not related to or caused by bottom shape.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information