Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Great Marithon Races

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Longest Stockton to Redding

The Stockton to Redding (CA) marathons were held in '55 & '56. 316 miles. DU did it in one day, the other classes in 2 days. Jack Terrell ran it one year and finished 4th in AU, he won a waffle iron.
    I have copies of the circulars in the computer, but can't get them to copy.

In 2006 I got to race in the Guayaquil to Vinces, Ecuador marathon. I made a wrong turn, as soon as I got to Tarita I knew I was on the wrong path as the town was absoultey deserted, every must have went to Samborandon to watch the race. I almost made it to Salitre when the engine quit due to dirt in the fuel tank. None the less I had a great time. http://www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com/gyevinces.html

Darrell

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=David Mason;39205]Welcome to Michigan's up North. The scenery is breath taking from about Big Rapids all the way north. It only gets better the further North you go from the state line. I snowmobile up there in Indian River, so I am very familiar with the area. I know it is beautiful. And it is only a few hours drive ! QUOTE]

I am going through that area on a trip soon, unfortunately it will not be during Top 'O...
    Can you recommend any "must see" places in the Indian River area to stop and look around, even if only briefly? Any good historic or natural landmarks anyone can recommend are appreciated.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scenery

[QUOTE=brichter;108497]
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Welcome to Michigan's up North. The scenery is breath taking from about Big Rapids all the way north. It only gets better the further North you go from the state line. I snowmobile up there in Indian River, so I am very familiar with the area. I know it is beautiful. And it is only a few hours drive ! QUOTE]

I am going through that area on a trip soon, unfortunately it will not be during Top 'O...
    Can you recommend any "must see" places in the Indian River area to stop and look around, even if only briefly? Any good historic or natural landmarks anyone can recommend are appreciated.
    IDon’t know of any historic landmarks you can visit while there. But I can tell you if you have a truck and like to drive down two tracks, simply look around for the fire lanes, and logging roads. Snowmobile trails in the summer are usually seasonal roads. So you can driver around in the middle of nature. There are a TON of small lakes and streams, hiking could be never ending if you like that. The forest is very pretty.

If you travel north a little you can visit the historic sites in Mackinaw. Fort Michimacnac (sp) is a great tour and the fort still stands on the Lakes edge. Lots of battle grounds around there. You can also travel to Mackinaw Island. That is nice. Takes you back to a simpler time. No internal combustion engines allowed. Everything is horse and buggy, but modern enough for luxury in the Grand hotel.

In Indian River there is an Elk Viewing tour, not sure if they run it in the summer months or not. Another thing you could do, is rent a pontoon in Indian River for the day, and run the marathon course. Or cruise all day up to Lake Huron and back. The lakes connect to the Cheboygan River and that takes you all the way out to Lake Huron. I don't suggest you take the pontoon onto Lake Huron as it is prolly to rough.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cranberry lake marathon

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    Open attachments to read more.
    Does anyone have any pictures from the Cranberry Lake marathon in 1965 Thanks Skip Baker

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1953 Winnebagoland Marathon

My dad was Motor Inspector that year, his picture is there in a black and white striped shirt. Bobby Switzer was first overall, but his sealed Mark 40 had raised reed and did not pass inspection. Bobby never blamed my dad for the disqualification.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-13-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Thread Information