Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dean Pink

Post Thanks / Like

Default wizardraceshop@yahoo.com Dean Pink Owns Wizard Marine: 2.5 Pistons

Dean called me today, we talk about once a year. I had Jerry Hedlund and Dean Pink on my list for calls, yesterday. Didn't call either one. 12/23/2017

I always enjoy talking to Dean, he said he is also making EFI harnesses for Mercury V-6 as Mercury is no longer making them.

Dean tells me Gene East is heading west for a trip soon. If you get to Phoenix, Gene, California isn't far. You can see Alan Ishii and stay with us as long as you'd like.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-24-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

I talked with Dean earlier this evening. We go way back! We used to do some "outlaw racing" in another life time. Most of our classes were based on advertised horsepower. Dean spent a lot of time on a lake with a 25 H.P. limit.

He had a 25 H.P. Wizard which was made by Mercury and very similar to a MK 30.

We built Dean a full house gas burner 44 c.i. Mercury power head and wrapped it up in that 25 H.P. Wizard cowling. Needless to say Dean had the fastest "25 H.P." motor on the lake!

Now everyone knows where his shop got it's name!

Dean's Dad used to referee high school basketball games in our area. I had a nephew playing ball and sometimes Mr. Pink (I think his name was Dean too) would be officiating my nephew's game. Of course I always gave him a hard time.

He was very patient with me, but when he had enough, he would point at me and wag his finger. That was his signal for me to back off a bit.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, My Dad Never Liked Racing "HORSES"....So The Wizard Bent the Rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Ron,

I talked with Dean earlier this evening. We go way back! We used to do some "outlaw racing" in another life time. Most of our classes were based on advertised horsepower. Dean spent a lot of time on a lake with a 25 H.P. limit.

He had a 25 H.P. Wizard which was made by Mercury and very similar to a MK 30.

We built Dean a full house gas burner 44 c.i. Mercury power head and wrapped it up in that 25 H.P. Wizard cowling. Needless to say Dean had the fastest "25 H.P." motor on the lake!

Now everyone knows where his shop got it's name!

Dean's Dad used to referee high school basketball games in our area. I had a nephew playing ball and sometimes Mr. Pink (I think his name was Dean too) would be officiating my nephew's game. Of course I always gave him a hard time.

He was very patient with me, but when he had enough, he would point at me and wag his finger. That was his signal for me to back off a bit.
    Just putting , 8 reed reed blocks in a 25 Wizard would help a lot... But a 44? Was there ever any 44 blocks that had the "blank" on the side of the block? You know where it said, "Full Jeweled or Turbo Four" As I recall, the Wizard was blank. Seems I saw a 44 once, with a blank and I thought hmmm, that would make a nice "C". But is was salted all to hell, which most California motors were, between the ocean and Salton Sea out motors didn't see much fresh water.

So, the "Wizard" got his name from a "Wizard"? My best STOCK Mark 30-H was a Wizard block my dad got out of Nebraska. It had laid out in the back of an Evinrude dealer's yard for many years. But every bolt and nut were like new, Nebraska fresh water was clean.

My dad always liked CUBIC INCHES when racing, not advertised Horse Power.

12/24/2017 Gene, how long will you be in Phoenix? Maybe, Alan Ishii and I will drive over.

Post Thanks / Like

In answer to your question about the side of the 44, it said Super Thunderbolt. We never ground it off, but perhaps Dean did. Actually, most of the guys we ran against back then probably didn't know what that casting mark meant.

With regards to Phoenix, my plans don't include Phoenix. I have another cousin who lives in Phoenix and we are hopeful he will meet us in New Mexico. I understand he is about 2 1/2 hours away from my cousin in New Mexico My Dad was the only boy in his family, so I don't have any first cousins named East
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Port Cover 44 Mercury Block

Was there ever a four port cover 44 block? Seems the "BLANK" 44 block was a four port cover block. Full Jeweled Super Thunderbolt.

At one race, long ago, a guy came down from Nor Cal to race with us. When my dad was weighting the boats, he notice black Marine Tex over the block plate. My dad, just said, "Pull your port cover." The guy said, "No, it is a 44, I'll take the disqualification." I had beat him with my 40 cubic incher, anyway.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-17-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Thread Information