Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Pink

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dean Pink

I really don't KNOW Dean Pink....but when we talk on the phone or are together, it is like we have been friends all our lives...Dean taught school.. Dean worked for Yamaha Marine. Dean has his own marine business...

When Chad ran Formula One in 1996-97...Dean (in Florida) helped Chad, along with Randy Peirson (in Minnesota), over the phone build Chad's Formula One motor... A motor than ran very well..Dean gave Chad pistons...and a block...never asked for a DIME...It was for a KID....Dean did tell me, that I had to take care not to get Chad hurt....never dreaming that it would be Jimmy Hauenstein who would be more than injured....

After we "DROPPED OUT" of Formula One, Dean and I didn't talk as much as we had. He and his wife had a baby....Hell, the child must be 15 by now...I'm sure if I called him, we'd pick up right where I left off...and that was he was needing more speed from his twin engine Yamaha boat...

Bruce Washburn posted the other day....Bill Curtis was reading an old 1984 Powerboat and said is Dean Pink related to Ed Pink?? No, I said, "Why."... He said, "Hell there is this article about Deran Pink and Bob Cox setting a Mississippi River record...Actually, September 1983...Yamaha outboard on the cover...Dean must NOT have worked for Yamaha then...

**** for pictures, will retake thme tomorrow when it isn't raining.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-27-2006 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Better Picture of Dean Pink

Up the Mississippi in a Bass Boat with a Johnson...Damn, need a lot of beer before I'd try that!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

May 2003 Lake Alfred race

Dean Pink -The Wizard- giving me a lesson about boat set up.
    It would be hard to find somebody with more knowledge in Mercury and racing in general.
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dean Pink

Dean worked on engines for Ken Olsen in the late 1970s and early 80s. He was very helpful and did some work for us (BLACKHAWK Racing), Chambers and Withrow in the late 1980s. You'll never find a ncier gentleman in all of boat racing. He worked hard, smiled always and did first class work, usually for nothing or next to it. I've always been proud to call Dean Pink a friend.

Jack Withrow
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Withrow

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKHAWK 1
    Dean worked on engines for Ken Olsen in the late 1970s and early 80s. He was very helpful and did some work for us (BLACKHAWK Racing), Chambers and Withrow in the late 1980s. You'll never find a ncier gentleman in all of boat racing. He worked hard, smiled always and did first class work, usually for nothing or next to it. I've always been proud to call Dean Pink a friend.

Jack Withrow
    Hi Jack, didn't realize that you were on here. I'm the older John Schubert, not the son of Bob from Texas. I'm sure you remeber me, a friend of Charlie Monts d Oca & raced with Leigh Furnal in 45.

Good hearing from you.

John

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey John!

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T
    Hi Jack, didn't realize that you were on here. I'm the older John Schubert, not the son of Bob from Texas. I'm sure you remeber me, a friend of Charlie Monts d Oca & raced with Leigh Furnal in 45.

Good hearing from you.

John
    Of course I remember you John, great to hear from you.

Jack
    Jack Withrow

Post Thanks / Like

Default ADD: Dean Pink

Dean was a school teacher before he went to work for Yamaha Outboards. Now he owns Wizard Marine. My son, Chad, only met Dean once in Miami at the Miami Boat Show.

When we "HOOKED UP" with Arcadian Motorsports and were going to run the Formula One Series in 1997, Chad wanted to build his own engines..He was 19, maybe too young to be driving Formula One, but wanting to build his own engines..Well...

He was building an engine, he had Dean Pink on one phone and Randy Pierson on the other...Chad was Rookie of the year in Formula One PROP TOUR and the youngest driver to ever race Formula One...

Chad built this year's Parker winner, but the funny part is, Fred Bowden was telling Chad about their Champboat Motors, and what Fred's boat, Shawn Torrente's boat, was useing for motors, they were like what Dean Pink had Chad build in 1997....No wonder we were fast!

I don' think Dean has a bad bone in his body!!!

Seems to me, Jack, we a\only met in bay City??? Am I wrong about that???

Greeat post about Blackhawk racing...like to see more pictures...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dean Pink

Ron,

Dean Pink use to come to Quincy, IL and race with us at the Twin Oaks Boat Club Booster Day races for several years back in the early 70's. I never met him formally as I was just a youngster (12 or 13) but I did talk to him one year and do remember him and his boats.

I posted a picture in the Quincy Welding - Looper forum under B-Looper. If you look to the far right of the picture you will see the backend of a red Pickle-Fork Tunnel Hull with a 115 Mecury on it that Dean use to race in Quincy. The boat was bought from Dean by Terry Willing from here in Quincy in 74 or 75 and was later sold to Dave Hill also from Quincy, I can't remember who Dave sold the boat to.

I tried to post the picture here but it said that I have already posted it in another thread so you will have to go to the B-Looper posting to see it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ron, great to hear from you. Yes I believe we did meet in Bay City. We may have also met in San Diego one time when I went out there with Rinker. Hey I may have some pictures of Jimbo's light blue Molinari Mod 50 too and a short story to go with it; let me know if you are interested.
    Jack Withrow

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Dean was a school teacher before he went to work for Yamaha Outboards. Now he owns Wizard Marine. My son, Chad, only met Dean once in Miami at the Miami Boat Show.

When we "HOOKED UP" with Arcadian Motorsports and were going to run the Formula One Series in 1997, Chad wanted to build his own engines..He was 19, maybe too young to be driving Formula One, but wanting to build his own engines..Well...

He was building an engine, he had Dean Pink on one phone and Randy Pierson on the other...Chad was Rookie of the year in Formula One PROP TOUR and the youngest driver to ever race Formula One...

Chad built this year's Parker winner, but the funny part is, Fred Bowden was telling Chad about their Champboat Motors, and what Fred's boat, Shawn Torrente's boat, was useing for motors, they were like what Dean Pink had Chad build in 1997....No wonder we were fast!

I don' think Dean has a bad bone in his body!!!

Seems to me, Jack, we a\only met in bay City??? Am I wrong about that???

Greeat post about Blackhawk racing...like to see more pictures...
    Jack Withrow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Always Like Stories, Always Like Pictures, Too...

Jack, I think I remember San Diego, too... Some names, like yours, being a FAMOUS NAME, I feel I know you because I've read about you. Many one who can "HANG" with those RINKERS, can't be all bad!!!!

Thread Information