Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Pink

Post Thanks / Like

I also remember Dean Pink from his early days racing at Quincy.
    At the time my nephew was a very good high school basket ball player. He played on the same team as Ronnie Dickerson who's Dad Ed introduced me to racing. Ronnie also was a boat racer.
    Dean's Dad was a Missouri High School Athletic Association Official.
    I went to all my nephew's games and used to heckle the daylights out of him from the stands.
    I'm certain if Ronnie and I had not been friends with Dean; I would have been asked to leave a few games.
    Good to see Dean's name here.
    Dean,if you're out there give me a shout.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene, I have never been on this site untill I registered this week!! Very Humbling to see so many notes and posts about an old also ran racer like myself. Hope things are going well for you. Bruce Washburn and I teamed up quite a number of years ago and still race Unlimited outboard today,( no this old man dosent drive anymore) . Havent seen my old photos of Quincy days in years, but next trip to Missouri you can bet I will look them up. My father passed away in aug. 01 and the rest of the family is going strong. Looking forward to hearing from you again. E-mail wizardraceshop@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

You'll love this site! There are a lot of BDOBR's (Broken Down Old Boat Racers) who hang out here.

As co-founders of BDOBR, Alan Ishii and I hereby bestow honorary membership in our ANCIENT order upon Mr. Dean Pink!

Welcome to the club!

It's the best club you can belong to. No dues to pay, no meetings to attend, but we do bump into our friends at races from time to time.

If you check out a post from Karen Cadel about the World Championship held in Florida last October you'll see a picture of Ed Dickerson. He and his son Ronnie used to race with us around Quincy and La Grange. I'm sure you remember those guys.

Your Dad refereed a lot of Ronnie's basketball games.

Ed is the "Typhoid Mary" who exposed me to this disease called boat racing.

I pray I never recover!

Sad news from Quincy; however, The River House Bar and Grill is closing today.

I'm betting you had lunch there a time or two.

Hope to see you sometime before "Lake Paradise"
    Last edited by Gene East; 01-30-2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dean and Quincy...

Damn, Dean, in all the time we've spent talking over the years, to NOT know you had friends, background with Quincy people just floors me.....

All these years I thought your OUTBOARD smarts came from the SKY!!!! Now, I find out you knew Gene East et al.....

I may just come to to Florida...to talk!!!!! (About your Quincy era)..

Hope things are going well, Dean!

FYI: Not sure I posted this before, but when Chad started Formula One PROP TOUR in 1997...Dean sent parts enough to almost build two motors for Chad, then hung on the phone with Chad while he assembled the motors...NEVER a bill to me or mention money from Dean..

Chad later built his own engine that he and Pat Bowman won the Parker 300 Enduro...Chad's Merc V-6 Race motors always run like a SONG!!! Built in part from knowledge gained from EX teacher, Dean Pink!

Thanks Dean!!!

I'd love to see some PERSONAL Dean Pink pictures here on BRF!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr Dean last night, I was tring to absorb the knowledge through the phone . It's folks like him an Larry Orin, Poppa, Old man Renolds that has past us, that I would love to go and spend some time with. Just to hear the old stories and the ways they learned what they know today. I wish that I was part of the good old days.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Dean Pink... Good guy

I met Dean at the first DSRA race of the season in Gulfport Ms. (You missed one hell of a race in Oct Dean.) All around good guy. I'm sure as I contine the deelopment of my Yamaha... He'll be hearing from me.
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dean Pink

I have only known Dean since about August this year. I had an issue with some Wizard pistons that I wanted for my S3000 that I was building up and thought I would ring the gentleman whose phone number was at the bottom of his website, Dean Pink. Within minutes he had sorted my issues out , and for the next 15 or so minutes spoke about tunnel boats, engines ,etc etc. I got off the phone and thought, nice bloke and boy he knows a lot about racing. (need to keep in touch with this bloke I thought). I have spoken to him several times since, often at late hours, and always treated well, so I agree with what has been previously written, Dean Pink you are a very knowledgeable, gentleman. PS. The other gentleman I have got to know recently of your character is Jim Ruck. Iwish you were both here in Australia. Cheers Don Mcclymont. Advantage Marine.

Post Thanks / Like

I had lunch with Dean yesterday. Although his official home is in Florida; he helps his Mother with planting and harvesting operations on their farm near Kirksville, MO, about 70 miles from Quincy.

He was in town to buy parts for their combine.

Dean's sister Patty came with him. She was an all-state basketball player in high school and attended college on a basketball scholarship. Although she is old enough for an AARP card, she's still long and lean and looks like she could probably dunk the ball if she so desired. Just in case your wondering; yes, she can drive a boat!

We had a great visit. I was particularly interested in Dean's record run from New Orleans to St. Louis but he passed it off as no big deal indicating he would like to try to regain the record someday.

Of course our conversation was mainly about boat racing and related topics. He seemed saddened to learn the water level at Twin Oaks where we raced each other in the early days was no longer deep enough to allow safe racing. We talked about people we raced against who we will only see again at "Lake Paradise" !

A lot of the racing we did was "Run what you brung" on fishing boats based on the HP sticker. We (QW) built Dean a padded and ported 44ci Mercury power head which he wrapped in a Wizard 25 HP cowling.

It was the fastest 25 HP motor on the lake. I only tell this story because the "Statute of Limitations" has long since expired.

I've often wondered why Dean calls his racing business "Wizard" and I've never asked.

Perhaps the secret has been revealed! Hmmmmmm?????

Hope to see you again soon my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10/1/2014 I Called Dean Pink Yesterday

I don't think I've talked to Dean in four years. We immediately picked up where we left off four years ago. Deans lives in Florida, spends some time in Illinois, and I live in California.

We get n the phone and we talk, talk and talk. I think, probably were are uck we don't live closer, we might not get any work done. It is like when Jimbo and I get in Needles...ime stand still we talk about 50 years ago as it was yesterday.

Wizard Marine does lots of things well...Dean admitted, he used to race on an 1,100 acre lake...I think that is what he said, that his grandfather owned....they had two classes 20 HP and 25. Mers won the 20 easy, but 25 wasn't that easy............So, Gene East built Dean an 8 reed, 44 cubic inch Wizard. See, Mercury sold Western Auto Mercury mark 30's to Western Auto motors call 25's...The were am Mercury 30 with four reed reed blocks.

Dean said his 25 Wizard on a GW Invader or Glass Par G3..something like that, would pull skiers, and beat everyone on the lake...

He said those were the days..I said, "Hell there are a thousand people racing tiller handle three bangers today in 660 drags..." Dean had never heard of 660 drags...

Do you realize there are more "FOREIGN" cars racing everyday, than there ever was "MUSCLE CARS" Racing??

Grass Roots racing doesn't wait for a blessing from "ON HIGH".

Some of the biggest outboard events in America, aren't APBA sanctioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo's Mod 50 Blue Molinari

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKHAWK 1 View Post
    Hi Ron, great to hear from you. Yes I believe we did meet in Bay City. We may have also met in San Diego one time when I went out there with Rinker. Hey I may have some pictures of Jimbo's light blue Molinari Mod 50 too and a short story to go with it; let me know if you are interested.
    Jack Withrow
    I don't think I ever saw this post, I know Jake at Sea Way Marine is looking for more pictures of this boat AND I ALWAYS LIKE STORIES.

Thread Information