Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get info 60's 40hp OMC

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to get info 60's 40hp OMC

OK now that I know that I have (2) 1964 40 hp OMC engines, where do I find general info on them? Web sites for small outboards would be great. One is a Johnson w/electric shift, other is Evinrude with manual shift.
    Were these ever used for racing in small boats. I'm only working with these because someone practically gave them to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Know That They Give

When I find OLD MOTORS, I take them to the recycle center and I get about $15.00 for a motor....Bring them by the shop and Bill can tell you exactly what to do...with them...I'm going to scrap metal tomorrow...afternoon....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Now Ron, why do ya have to bust my chops? Here I'm planning on entering the mini enduro with a real "run what ya brung" racer. I think I'll mount the old big twin on a long board.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,
    As I once heard in a movie,"Pay no attention to that man behind the
    curtain..." I know a place in Tacoma that has a way better price on scrap.
    On a more serious note, I have here a very good manual for 56-70 OMCs.
    Don't ask me "why" I have it, suffice to say I have one. Seloc publications,volume 1,1956-1970 Johnson/Evinrude outboards. Printed 1995.
    I don't usually "recommend" "aftermarket" manuals since they're mostley piles that really don't tell you very much. This one is pretty decent.
    Will
    P.S to Ron, Went to the dentist today... Had what I thought was a fragment trying to get out. Turned out to be a bone spur. After some novacaine,a mighty reef with the "pliers" and some judicious "bone filing", I went home and actually ate an orange in the usual way(peeled in segments not blended) I think I'm ready tackle a burger.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by fyremanbill
    Now Ron, why do ya have to bust my chops? Here I'm planning on entering the mini enduro with a real "run what ya brung" racer. I think I'll mount the old big twin on a long board.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep those old omc alive ,still lots of parts available .
    Might find some info here .
    Lots of info over at Iboats forum , try a search on Joe Reeves posts ( old omc guru ) , he knows what's worth to know about those old engines .

Can give you a good advice about the lower unit right now , if it's working and you want it to be working in the future , use ONLY OMC PREMIUM BLEND gear oil , also known a "type C" , or Bombardier premium blend ( for electric shift )
    If it's NOT working , try to find a manual lower unit , IF yo can find parts for the electric shift ,it gonna cost $$$ .

Arne Kjetil
    My engines :
    Mercury TII, next project
    Johnson V4m-10s 90 hp 1964,from the prosess.
    Mercury 1400 1972 ,Rebuilding a Tower

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys.

Post Thanks / Like

OK now that I know that I have (2) 1964 40 hp OMC engines, where do I find general info on them? Web sites for small outboards would be great. One is a Johnson w/electric shift, other is Evinrude with manual shift.
    Were these ever used for racing in small boats. I'm only working with these because someone practically gave them to me.
    You might have a shot winning a go till it breaks race cause these 4500 rpm 43.9 ci sluggers keep going like the drum tote n rabbit. Thats why theres so many around.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Pressure Gauge

Both manual and electric shift models have water inlet ahead of exhaust outlet. This limits amount of motor height so be sure to install a water pressure gauge. Restricted water flow will cause exhaust to burn shift wire and cause $$ damage. Wave jumping and quick decel and quick accel causes spring to unload and many repeats will cause problems as well as using wrong lube. Michael J

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen the water inlet problem. Thought I'd move it and the exhaust outlet to a different location.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40 johnrude'ss

if you need a manual for service work, just go to EBAY and bring up outboard service manuals...there has been times where you can get a actual omc factory manual for 10 bucks if you bid right..you can also try johnson outboards service manuals/or evinrude outboard service manuals to cut down look time...just a thought

Thread Information