Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get info 60's 40hp OMC

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm working on that angle right now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default manuals

all manuals avaliable from www.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.main - 8k]
    publishers of omc manuals.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok now where can I get stainless steel props for this thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Since this motor uses a rear of prop 1/4in shear pin you could probably adapt a right hand speed prop, to find one?? I got a really nice right 2 blade speed prop on ebay a couple years ago, its on a hydro with an OMC rat for power.

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 40hp Johnno's & Evinrudes.

They are great motors. Used to service them years ago. They are not racing motors. They are reliable workhorses. Will just go forever. The electramatic didn't give any trouble on the 40. They are certainly a lot easier to work on than any Merc gearcase. No shims or anything like that. Just read the workshop manual. The manual gearbox only had problems if you slammed it into gear when reving to hard. Just wore the edges off the dog clutch. Very easy to work on the manual gearcase. Just tip the motor upside down. EASY. Great for light skiing & as a family motor. Can tell you a few things about the 90's as well if you need to know.

Best wishes from OZ.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

The 60's OMC motors had weak rods and will blow if you rev them up with little to no load, then back them down. They also had some minor over heating problems. Lastly, then had this apparatus made of a stanless steel bar and springs called a compression release. First thing you do is toss it in the trash where it belongs and the motor will start in one pull like they all should. Of that series, my personal favorite was the 35 HP OMC, of earlier production, and, the 33HP Evinrude. Find a manual shift version, even though the electric shifts were OK, I never liked using electricity where mechanical devices could be just as good. Of my least favored design of the engine, a 29.5° taper on the crank, and a 30° taper on the flywheel. It take 6 Siberian milking slaves and 3 small boys to break it loose, so if you want to make one go faster the trick was to get a 25HP flywheel and re mill the taper.

With a hot dog gearbox, that powerhead has lots of untapped potential.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on it for the great "Ron Hill Mini Enduro" . Hope I can get this junk ready in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default for the great "Ron Hill Mini Enduro"

Hey... Need commas, The great Ron Hill, Nano Enduro...

Frymanbill... Fyremanbill...and two cyclinder stuff you need, I probably have and if I don't...Bill Curtis has it...

Come to Newport this Saturday, December 2, 2006, free lunch, at the Antique Outboard Meet and we can talk Nano Enduros...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The RD motors

I love those motors, they are easy to work on, and parts are everywhere.
    OMC produced those motors in one form or another for over 40 model years and a few of those years they built over 80K. I have in my collection, I think at last count, 11 of them of various vintage. I've never taken one to the dump but I have dragged a few out and occasionally got them running again.

They are slow to begin with but with a little work and knowledge you can really up the performance. The later 40s with pressure-back pistons are quicker. The more you can get the foot out of the water and maintain water pressure the better (be careful though). Lots of other good tips on this thread.
    The nice thing is you can experiment and if you break something its not too devastating. I learned a lot as a kid fiddling wth RDs.

If you are lucky enough to find them there were some racing lower units and other performance goodies made for those motors.

I would love to run the Ron Hill Mini Enduro with one of these motors on my mini tunnel but its very far away for me. I tried to get something going around here years ago but there wasn't much interest.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys. Ron. I'll be working on Sat, but will see you at the meeting on Sun.

Thread Information