Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic outboard racing in Sweden

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a small wooden horse just like that--same exact color given to me by Leif Ahlborg.

Keep the great pictures coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I used to have a small wooden horse just like that--same exact color given to me by Leif Ahlborg.

Keep the great pictures coming.
    Wayne - it does not surprise me that Leif gave you a horse like that, as that is the Dala Häst, which is one of the traditional symbols of Sweden. They are still made by hand in the area of Dalarna in Sweden, which is where Mora is located. The photo from Thomas is on the largest Dala Häst in the world

Thomas - jag kan hitta Jannes emejl adress för dig! D

Post Thanks / Like

Another pic of Janne's Crescent CS rig and also another of the vintage König. Can anyone throw any light on the age of the König? - someone suggested to me that it's from the 60s....

Wayne - note the Union Jack on the side of Janne's boat, this is because the boat once belonged to a good friend of a certain Pip Willey..........Chris Applebee
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Corin--I was wondering about that Union Jack. I have always loved geography and flags. I didn't know what the deal was there. Glad you explained. My E mail is haywire again so I haven't been able to contact Chris yet.

The few places I raced in Europe were much rougher than I was accustomed to. Leif had raced with us in America in 1973 and 1976 and was an observer in 1980. He knew the kind of water we were used to and he tried to get us to race in Sweden. He said we would like the kind of courses they had. I wish now I had. We were so busy then I threw away a lot of opportuntities. Besides Sweden, we had standing opportunities to race in England, Italy, South Africa and Australia. Those last two had a season opposite ours where we could have gone and not missed anything in our regular circuit.

It is great to see some of the race courses and people over there. When I get the scanner working again, I'll dig out some old photos of European drivers from the late 70's.

As far as the Konig, I see I'm guessing 1964 to 1967.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-27-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add

Post Thanks / Like

If I have all my years straight, the first "VC" opposed 4 Konigs were sold in 1965 and were piston port rather than rotary valve. APBA did not allow these motors, but NOA did. Opposed 4 Konigs weren't allowed in APBA until around 1967.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corin_huke View Post
    Another pic of Janne's Crescent CS rig and also another of the vintage König. Can anyone throw any light on the age of the König? - someone suggested to me that it's from the 60s....
    I had a 1966 4-carb D. It did not have the "tin can" exhaust, it had two short megaphones. The motor in the photo has a newer style split lower unit. I had a 1969 rotary valve C and it had the same style heads as the motor in the photo, and a muffled exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Thanks Thomas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mora, Sweden

I agree with Thomas. Mora in Sweden has got to be one of the most beautiful race venues we visit, especially when the weather is great as it was a couple of years ago
    Attached Images Attached Images  

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default on a different note -

In 1959 here in Nor-Cal we had the C C R A , for pleasure boat racing . I was a deck rider for Bob Carpenter in a 14'
    Premier (wood) runnabout . we were racing in the D D class ( 45 H.P.) in the Rodeo to Napa and back twice race . it was rough in the San Pablo bay. it was nice up the Napa river. We were in the lead(in our class) at the end of the race , untill we went off plane turning around the wrong boat (used for a bouy) the second boat AND we lost plane in the confusion, & we made a huge spray of water & a photographer from LIFE magazine shot the scene , wanted to put it on LIFES cover , but , he forgot to load his camera - no film ! Bummer ! we came in second . Been a LONG time ,since i thought of this . Al Estel was the announcer .

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Al (the Announcer)

He would usually park his car near the announcing stand & guys would lean against it. he would say , "HEY, I just waxed the car , so if you are gonna lean on it , move your butt , and shine it !"

Thread Information