Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic outboard racing in Sweden

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic outboard racing in Sweden

I thought you guys would be interested in this link to the Classic Boat Racing Club in Sweden

http://www.hydroracing.org/index.html

Jag hoppas att er kan läsa svenska! - but seriously, even if you cannot understand Swedish, it's a very easy site to navigate your way around

Lots of photos of Crescents....

Enjoy!

Corin

Post Thanks / Like

GOOD STUFF, are these the same group of Swedes who make occasional visits to the UK with their classics?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mintominto
    GOOD STUFF, are these the same group of Swedes who make occasional visits to the UK with their classics?
    Yes, there are drivers that also venture across to the UK - names like Tomas Lind, Janne Säfwe, Göran Linder to name a few

The big race this year in Sweden will be Mora at the end of July. Not only classics but also Formula 125, 250 and 350:-

http://www.helamorasurrar.se/

Expect a bumper field of boats (in all classes) - defintely one for yoyr diary!

Post Thanks / Like

I see they have a class on the schedule noted as "OSY Modified" Do you guys know that the rules are for that class? Do you have it in the UK, too?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modified OSY in Sweden (and the rest of Europe)

To be honest with you Sam, the modified OSY class in Europe as a whole is very very small. I don't know the exact number of boats in Sweden, but I suspect no more than a handful - more than the rest of Europe put together!

I know that many years ago, Mike Ward (the UK Yamato agent) with the help of some details from Bob Goller, modified a Yamato 102. This was run a couple of times at club events and is now probably just lying at the back of Mike's garage. This is the only modified OSY I am aware of in the UK

OSY in general is still a popular class in Europe, but 99.% of the time the races are run to UIM rules so no modifications are allowed. The majority of the engines are 302s with the odd 202 on occasions. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Yamato 102 or 80 - they're just not run in Europe

In terms of the rules that are used, I think because of the small number in Sweden, it's pretty much a self governing approach that is adopted, allowing people to run whatever OSY that has been tweaked' a little

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mora, Sweden

I forgot to say that Mora is a very picturesque setting for a race and looks like this in the Summer

Whereas, at the moment it very wintery. It is the home of the famous and historic cross country Vasaloppet ski race in Sweden

http://www.competitiveimage.us/nordic/MORA06/index.html

The race organiser has promised to turn up the temperature before we get there in July!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if many Brits are making the journey to the Mora event?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mintominto
    Do you know if many Brits are making the journey to the Mora event?
    The usual suspects should be there for the races:-

F-250: Paul Jillings (27), Malcolm Goodman (90)
    F-350: Nigel Edwards (16)

I'm not sure if Wayne Turner will be racing in F-125

Plus there should be a crowd of Brits (mostly from the LOBMBC) for the classic racing. It's a favourite venue for the Brits - good venue, good friends, great racing, and cheap flights thanks to Ryan Air!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a great place to race

Was wondering if any of these guys still hang around racing. Leif Ahlborg (Palmator Racing), Roland Stoltz, or Leif Lindell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Was wondering if any of these guys still hang around racing. Leif Ahlborg (Palmator Racing), Roland Stoltz, or Leif Lindell.
    A good question. The simple answer is that I don't know, but I'll try and find out for you. I've certainly heard these names in passing, Leif Ahlborg more recently than the others, but as to whether they are still involved in racing in any way.........

Thread Information