Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic outboard racing in Sweden

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question

Is that bueatiful race course salt or fresh water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mora

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver
    Is that bueatiful race course salt or fresh water?
    You are right David, it is a beautiful race course and it's fresh water too. Although Finland is the land of a thousand lakes, Sweden is not far behind...

The region where Mora is situated, Darlarna, is stunningly beautiful and actually supplies water to Stockholm and others further South. The water quality is great (crystal clear) and is stark contrast to when we race on the River Po in Italy. The Po has the dubious honour of being the most polluted in the whole of Europe, but then again, the clue is in its name!!!

Darlarna Region link: http://www.dalarna.se/template/turism____8311.aspx

PS - BTW I don't work for the Swedish Tourist Office, but as you may have guessed, I DO like Sweden!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swedish Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Was wondering if any of these guys still hang around racing. Leif Ahlborg (Palmator Racing), Roland Stoltz, or Leif Lindell.
    I've found out some details for you. Roland Stoltz still is involved in racing and actually races in the Classic series - I saw his name in the results from last year (racing a König ZA250 on the back of a Schultze)

Leif Ahlborg is actually involved in tunnel boat racing and is the promoter for the Scandinavian F2 (SST120) Series. http://212.125.209.209/kunder/nolimi...uppe.asp?id=57. I have Leif's email address if you'd like it

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Corin--Maybe we can get him to post some of his tunnel stuff here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leif Lindell

I have a story about Leif Lindell.

In (I think) 1973 we had a 250cc UIM World Championship at Alex. one week after the nationals in DePue. It was the year that Craig and I didn't get qualified at DePue, and Dub Parker did. Anyway, since I didn't have anything to do all week, I went on over to Alex. on Tues. with my girlfriend. There were already quite a few folks there, including from Sweden, Leif Alborg and Leif Lindell. Two others that I clearly remember being there were LSBRA runabout driver Jim Richardson and his new wife Carol. Leif Lindell almost learned a hard lesson about the difference between American and Swedish culture that night. A bunch of us were standing around in the Pits drinking beer and he asked my girlfriend if she would like to go back to his room with him, with me standing there. He didn't speek great english and we weren't sure if he was serious. She looked at me and I said "well just tell him NO". Didn't bother Leif, he just went over to Carol and asked her the same question. Jim got right up in his face and said "You try that again and I'll send you back to Sweden in a caufin". His friend Leif Alborg got things streightened and nobody got hurt, but it was a close call. They were both really neat guys, we just got started out on the wrong foot. Alborg came back over here after that but I don't think Lindell ever did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denny henderson
    I have a story about Leif Lindell.

In (I think) 1973 we had a 250cc UIM World Championship at Alex. one week after the nationals in DePue. It was the year that Craig and I didn't get qualified at DePue, and Dub Parker did. Anyway, since I didn't have anything to do all week, I went on over to Alex. on Tues. with my girlfriend. There were already quite a few folks there, including from Sweden, Leif Alborg and Leif Lindell. Two others that I clearly remember being there were LSBRA runabout driver Jim Richardson and his new wife Carol. Leif Lindell almost learned a hard lesson about the difference between American and Swedish culture that night. A bunch of us were standing around in the Pits drinking beer and he asked my girlfriend if she would like to go back to his room with him, with me standing there. He didn't speek great english and we weren't sure if he was serious. She looked at me and I said "well just tell him NO". Didn't bother Leif, he just went over to Carol and asked her the same question. Jim got right up in his face and said "You try that again and I'll send you back to Sweden in a caufin". His friend Leif Alborg got things streightened and nobody got hurt, but it was a close call. They were both really neat guys, we just got started out on the wrong foot. Alborg came back over here after that but I don't think Lindell ever did.
    I see, the liberal Swedish attitude to some things in life was in play even back in the 1970s!
    Or may be something was lost in translation?

It make me laugh sometimes when I'm in a foreign country and you check out a slogan on a t-shirt in English and think to yourself "Does he/she really know what that means!!??"

I don't know if the brand is popular in the States but there is a clothing line in the UK called French Connection and their trademark was FCUK. They put together a whole marketing campaign with this play on words (yes guys, you think of them and they probably used them) and all sorts of slogans appeared on t-shirts (both men and women). To see a young girl with one of these slogans on her t-shirt does make you do a double take. It's not too bad in an English speaking country, but for other countries, it does make you think if they truly know what the slogan means. The answer is that they probably do! - kids eh!!!!

Just going back to Swedes, one thing you may or may not be aware of is that there's a huge American Car cruising scene in Sweden. In the summer months, you see all of these Swedes (mostly youngsters) cruising around in classic cars from the 50s & 60s trying their best to look like Jerry Lee Lewis, James Dean, etc. At first it's a little strange from a foreigner's point of view, but they all seem to be having a good time!!

http://www.crusinclub.com/coppermine/
    Last edited by corin_huke; 03-15-2006 at 03:49 PM.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default My neighbor went to Germany to visit home and saw American Indians In Full Dress

My neigbor, first name - Hans, second name - Dyck, went to Germany finally to visit his relatives he never knew because he was born in Paraguay, South America to get there and the first week he was being shown around he saw teepees and a weekend celebration going on. These indians were all in full intricate dress, makeup, horses, spears shields and the bows North American Indians dressed like the Sioux, Mandan and so on and not one of them spoke indian lingo but some spoke pretty good english but their tongue of choice for everything else was German because they all were just that! That is enthusiasm for something North American way out of place and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corin_huke View Post
    http://www.hydroracing.org/index.html

Jag hoppas att er kan läsa svenska! - but
    Corin

Doris,

Naturligtvis kan vi alla läsa svenska!
    Vem skulle inte det?
    Mera Historic bara det är ju heelt Kanon, dessutom
    MORA är ju mitt favorit ställe som vi besöker alltid nu och då!
    Historic är det enda som intesserar nuförtiden eftersom vårt förbund har
    varit så passivt och struntat i all kreativ verksamhet och även ballat bort allting, nej jag menar inte SVERA utan grannlandet i öster!

Men som tur har vi ju ändå KITÖ-Loppet som dom inte når på.

Mora is freshwater naturally!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos of the boats that took part in the Classic outboard race in Mora, Sweden a couple of years ago

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mora

D,

I am also a fan of SWE, and Mora is my favorite place.
    Can you imagine a better boatrace track, in the middle of the town
    and there is always action during the whole Hela-Mora-Surrar event.
    And historic is so cool, very beautiful boats indeed!

Here is my regards to Janne Säfwe
    Janne när du läser detta skicka ett mail till mig har tappat din mail,
    thomas@motionline.fi behöver information på en gammal
    historisk tävlingsbåt byggd i Sverige.

Eng. Does anyone have the email of Janne Säfwe?

Thread Information