Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merc 80; small amts of water in #2 cyl

Post Thanks / Like

[

ADD: Is this the motor with the "BIG FOOT" or "FAT FOOT"??? I actually may have some props for this thing....(This year, see Sport C for sale)... http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ght=sport+sale

I had another idea ofn the water problem, on run her at Needles when the river is low...

Last ADD: When you having lunch, today...I think I'll come down and let you buy, again! (Did you see the Evinrude 15 A I bough on E-Bay???)[/QUOTE]

QUOTE=RonHill]Just reverse the battery, and run her in reverse, that should pump the water out...

..........do that and you will GUARANTEED fry the voltage regulator/rectifier and probably lots of other electronics!!!!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Daren, maybe you can tell me what those little tiny ball check valves located on the intake manifold do--If these were leaking, could that cause the engine to suck water in on the exhaust side? Will the engine run without them if a solid plug was screwed into the same hole they were in? Capnzee

Post Thanks / Like

Default check valves....

Quote Originally Posted by capnzee
    Daren, maybe you can tell me what those little tiny ball check valves located on the intake manifold do--If these were leaking, could that cause the engine to suck water in on the exhaust side? Will the engine run without them if a solid plug was screwed into the same hole they were in? Capnzee
    those "check valves" are part of the fuel recirculation system and are meant to feed excess fuel (preventing "puddling") to the top and bottom main bearings of the crankshaft. They have NOTHING to do with the water system. DO NOT plug them, as they do provide lubrication for the mentioned bearings. If the water is entering the exhaust side, then your problem is either the powerhead adaptor plate/gasket (which would allow water in the bottom cylinder, not the top or middle cylinders) or the exhaust baffle plate setup...........

you can pull the powerhead off, then apply water under pressure to the inlet water passage on the bottom of the block and look for leaks by looking through the spark plug holes with a flashlight...........

I had 2 of those damn 97 200hp Johnson Ocean Pro's that both had cracks by the #3 cylinder in the exhaust port areas that would leak water in the cylinders...................
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default merc exhaust covers

merc side covers exhaust plates gaskets will leak if you over tighten them.
    the gaskets split easily all will spray into the exhaust ports.
    torque exhaust covers to spec 150 inch pounds , not to over tighten.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I want to thank you so much for your help and thoughts. I posted this same problem on the "other" website and got absolutely no help from anyone. I think I will tear the entire engine down again, start from scratch and pay particular attention to all of the areas you mentioned. Thanks Capnzee

Post Thanks / Like

Default "other website"????????

Quote Originally Posted by capnzee
    Guys, I want to thank you so much for your help and thoughts. I posted this same problem on the "other" website and got absolutely no help from anyone. I think I will tear the entire engine down again, start from scratch and pay particular attention to all of the areas you mentioned. Thanks Capnzee

is there such a thing? Besides Hydroracer and The Pit Stop........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

when you get it apart, leave all the water covers on, bolt a board to the bace of the case with a hole and fitting over the water inlet, the board will close off
    the water exit, cap the telltail, pressureize the case with a hose from a water tap, look in the cyl and you will see ware its comin from. you may want to put a hole in the board so you can look up the exhaust. you follow?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fred got the idea, thanks for all the help capnzee

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check the reeds

Something I've run into a couple of times is a cracked or warped reed causes water to be sucked in through the exaust side of the block. Don't quite understand why or how but tear down has found bad reeds and replacement has cured the problem. Doug Schultz

Thread Information