Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turn fins???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turn fins???

How deep do you want a turn fin to be on a runabout? Does it make a difference if you're running ASR vs CSR? I'm referring to a side fin rather than a bottom fin. Thanks
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that you can run to much side fin on a runabout. I run about 4-1/2" of fin measured from the bottom of the flat running surface of the boat. I would suggest you start with not quite enough fin and through testing, keep dropping the fin until you find what works best for your boat. Boats that float higher down the straight take a little more fin while boats that do not require a little less fin. Also, be sure the outside surface of the fin bracker, where fin bolts on, is PERFECTLY perpendicular to the transom. If not, it can spell disaster. Finally, I always run my fins perfectly vertical, or perpendicular to the bottom of the flat running surface. Some guys will camber the fin in between 5-7 degrees, rather than vertical, supposedly sucking down the turning side of the boat while going through the corners. I hope this helps.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

....that helps a lot. I've got it setup right now where its vertical to the bottom and perpendicular to the transom, but just got to thinking how deep should the fin run? Thanks
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Sean,

I should have mentioned that the infomation I posted above is for my CSR. It is relative to an A runabout as well, but thought I should mention it.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, it sure is nice to see good advice besides go test (which is good advice in itself) but doesnt neccesarily get someone headed in the right direction

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought that we should help one another. So, if I have information that can help someone, I offer it. Besides, I don't want someone to do something that is unsafe, unknowingly, and get hurt. Besides, I ask others when I need help and I really appreciate it, so I enjoy offering help when I can.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks Joe

I've never done this before so anything to get me going in the right direction is appreciated!!
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default hey Joe..........

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Silvestri 36-S
    I've always thought that we should help one another. So, if I have information that can help someone, I offer it. Besides, I don't want someone to do something that is unsafe, unknowingly, and get hurt. Besides, I ask others when I need help and I really appreciate it, so I enjoy offering help when I can.
    how about giving me some more advice making my CSR faster!!!!!!! We might have a NEW runabout driver in Sean here shortly!!!! Unless he likes my old DAWE 20/CSH too much!!!!!!!!!

.......wish we were at the Winter Nat's right now..........

PS: Sean, Joe does know his runabouts well (alot more than I do!), he actually helped me improve the fin design on my current CSR and it got me 3rd at the Nat's in the finals!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Daren,

I'm just sticking with the Dawe for racing.....at least for now. However, I do want to get that little runabout to work right, and I want it safe enough because my kids are going to be playing in it shortly at my folks lake. And who knows what that might lead up to. They might like it and want to give it a try racing. So, thats the idea for now
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fin on both sides, for turning both ways???

On a small lake anyways.
    RichardF

Thread Information