Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McCulloch history question

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar at all with these motors, but I have been going through the stuff that Bill Holland sent me. He was racing and doing business with Scott-Atwater and McCulloch in the 60's. He has stayed with racing, so even if he wasn't directly involved, maybe he knows. I misplaced his phone number. I will call Ray Yates and maybe find out some info tommorrow.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam, Those numbers are higher than I thought. I figured that maybe most of the motors that still existed might be located in some region of the country, perhaps the southwest. I have been looking since I found a Scott brochure featuring these motors maybe 25 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Bill Holland. He doesn't remember how many 590's or 630's were built, but he thought Sam's numbers sounded about right. He thought he had the production numbers somewhere but he would have to do some digging to find them. They didn't field a team in Paris, but they did win Salton Sea one year when he was the manager of racing. They had a pair of McCullochs on a catamaran. He figured the best place to find any of these motors would be California.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Ralph DeSilva is the fellow who wants to know about this Paris thing. He is positive they fielded a team for the Paris race. It seems Robacheaux headed the effort. Holland may not know as it was a disaster. Ralph wants to know the year.

To Bill Holland, Ralph passes on his reguards. Belated congrats for the 106mph effort at Knoxville in the mid 60's.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I will be talking to Bill again soon after I go through some more of the stuff he sent. I will pass on Ralph's regards and ask him about the name Robacheaux. I knew Bill as a legend in the alky circuits, but I am learning much about his involvement with Scott-Atwater, McCulloch and his OPC achievments. He apparently has a lot more stuff stowed away somewhere, including McCulloch info. One reason he didn't have more crowns in his racing when he went to McCulloch is that as he moved up, they wouldn't let him get in the cockpit any more.

Thread Information