Quote Originally Posted by Joe J
I know that some of these were aslo 13:16 ratios, as my dad had one. If I remember correctly, there were not many of them. He got it from Ted May.

Joe Johnson
There were some 13:16 units but those were made for the OE motor, which was the three cylinder predecessor to the MOD 50. It used a special 15" exhaust housing similar to the KR15M. We ran a 13:16 unit in formula 100 on a V4 and it was an excellent short course setup with a 17 pitch prop. We used the 1:1 on very long courses which was hardly ever. It was just too steep for any of the props we could find.

There was also a 15:17 unit available for the Stranglers and GPs. Those were good for about 3 hours or so and hard to find a replacement. When we ran out of gears we built a 16:18 unit using gears out a CCC. That worked just as well as the 15:17.

I think the 14:23 clubfoot was the best all around unit because you could turn a big prop and carry the boat but the V4s had a Torsional "whirl" and when we ran a small boat we had problems with the boat gyrating.

I know there were a few Right-Hand units built so that Merc props (more ratios available and better performing) could be used. Only a handful of these were made.