Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Do you know who built the boat?

I do.

Tim

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is indeed a great find. I had no idea the Snell brothers had it. I have talked with John and Albert over the years, but they always talked about green mercs and letting me know when Alex was coming up, and never mentioned Bill's boat. I just knew they had a personal museum in the works and were always looking for old stuff. I'm glad to see it about in public again.

I started a thread about Bill Holland several years ago here at BRF, but never finished it. There was so much about Bill in the Roostertail, I was trying to compile it in chronological order for some of the pics he let me copy. You can find some info you might be looking for there. I can't remember how far along I got, but I will find it and check it out. His wife Dorothy probably has the photo albums I copied from, but one this Bill didn't let me take to copy was his portfolio of this boat. There were something like eight, ten, maybe a dozen or more pen and ink sketches of this boat and a dual engine boat(that was never built to my knowledge. They were very interesting, and if you could get copies of these, it would greatly enhance the historical collection you have. Dorothy probably still has these or knows where they are.

Bill Hollland told Joe Rome and I about his historical runs with this record setting boat at the Lone Star Reunion in 2005. I don't think this boat set many records Calvin, but it was innovative and captured the attention of a lot of people. I have to check my notes, but I believe that Bill said the picture on the cover of Roostertail was a photo op, and that in the record attempts, he did not have the plexiglass shiel in place. I will have to double check that. One thing I remember though is that he never could achieve the higher speed the boat was capable of because as the speed increased, the hull would lift horizontally higher off the water causing a loss of water pickup at the lower unit, and the boat would settle down. Then it would pick up speed as the motor cooled down, only to have this process repeated several times on the straights during the runs.

Bill Holland was one of those classic gentlemen boat racers. He was a very accomplished racer with a class act.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it held a NOA class record. 92mph maybe.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Rhinelander Wi. and Canton Ga. Email Bradob1@aol.com
    Post Thanks / Like

Default keep the info comin Please

I have info taken from past threads posted...

Holland----F Hydro Knoxville Tn 93.750 mph 7-13-63 but not certain if it was this boat....

Also received a call from a fella that he has an old NOA stat book showing the F class record was made by Holland in a Jones boat.....I was always under the impression that Bill Built this Boat himself

Info is starting to trickle in .... Thanks Guys ... keep the info comin
    Bradob1@aol.com or 715-401-0910 call anytime I am at my winter home near Atlanta till April

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I had seen this boat in advertising for Desilva Boats. But not sure.
    Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to Bill on the phone and he sent me a couple letters. I'm pretty certain it was this boat. I do recall that he said he could not use the hatch and just ran without it.

It looks like someone modified the hatch for helmet clearance ... ala Dan Guerney & the GT-40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
    I thought I had seen this boat in advertising for Desilva Boats. But not sure.
    Mark N
    That's why it would be great to borrow that collection and scan it

Rhinelander Wi. and Canton Ga. Email Bradob1@aol.com
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Pic of Holland

Another photo of Holland

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Also received a call from a fella that he has an old NOA stat book showing the F class record was made by Holland in a Jones boat.....I was always under the impression that Bill Built this Boat himself
    I don't believe that is a Jones.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The laydown boat was built by the Desilvas. The kneeler resembles a Jones except for the afterplane and transom. Ron Sr. built quite a few variations of his designs.

Thread Information