Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that they would stick a piston every time Gerry would leave the traps slowing down. If you look at the photo Jeff Lytle posted earlier you will see an additional linkage going to the Vacturi hooked to the needle valve. That was there so when Gerry could richen the carburetor and slow down without burning a piston. Where could that linkage be now??? Wait I know! Steve Greaves still uses it at the kilos on his speedy twins so they can adjust the needle valve under way...

And to think all this happened a few years before I was born...

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Well, something doesn't compute. Carl, is it possible you got this photo from somebody who had shot it earlier, and that you are inadvertently mixing memories from different years?

ummmmmmm...no

(kind of a cheep shot there Phil....)

but it would be cool to figure how to take my negatives, scan them, and be able to post them without having to create pictures first.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-24-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he stuck it up at least twice slowing down at the end of the traps. One time when it stuck, that big two blade was in the wrong position and he went in the water real hard.
    Darrell

Post Thanks / Like

Now don't go all sensitive on me, Carl; you know I'm not questioning your veracity, it's just that the outfit didn't look right for '71. I guess that must be the boat Gerry built for himself. If you remember taking that picture in '71, then it has to be my memory that's faulty, as I can readily believe. I have run across photos that I must have shot, but don't remember doing it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl lewis View Post
    but it would be cool to figure how to take my negatives, scan them, and be able to post them without having to create pictures first.
    It can be done with the right software. I can do it, so can Wayne and a few others
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

any name of that software????

Carl

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it with the software that came with my Canon scanner. You may already be able to do it and not know it Carl. If your scanner has an auto function, take it off of that and see what else you have. Mine for instance has one called Platen and you do black and white with it. For B&W photos use platen and choose grayscale. For slides go to film then click on color positive. For color negatives go to color negative and for B&W you use monochromatic negative. Yours may not read like mine, but if you have functions other than auto you can play around and figure it out. There are scanners also that will do multiple negatives and slides as well as different size formats. If this doesn't work then Sam or others could post names of some other software.

ADD: The great news is that you still have your negatives. Most people save the photos and lose or do not take care of the negatives.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default for the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum

JDub -- why not consider donating this boat to the HARM museum there in Seattle. I am sure that david Williams could do a great display with the boat and give proper pub to its builder and to Jerry.
    f/8
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yukon 800 history

This is real interesting stuff, the pictures and history. I am currently working on a documentary project with my brother about river racing in Fairbanks Alaska. The Fairbanks Outboard Association started somewhere in the early fifties. It mainly involved small D utility, or hydro boats. Gravel pit racing, or short river runs. There was also the fairbanks-nenana-fairbanks marathon. This racee was an annual event, and probably the infant of the Yukon 800. A couple of names with that time were Harvey Stryken, Harold Gillam, JD rank, and so on. According to our best info, in 1959 in a bar Mike Dozette, and perhaps Alan Persinger came up with the idea of a Great Marathon! the first race was in 1960, and started at Circle city. It went past Ft. Yukon, Beaver, Steven's Village, Rampart, Tanana, Manley, Nenana, and to Fairbanks. Ray Kasola was the first winner. That race lasted till about 1963, then the course changed to start in Fairbanks. They raced to Ruby and back until about 1967 when the race was extended to Galena. That course has stood until today. Any pictures, video, or other info anyone out there has on any of these early days of Fairbanks boat racing is much appreciated call anytime kirt-388-0808

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, quit messing with my pal Carl

If Carl said he took that picture, I would bet my paycheck that he in fact did!
    There was an incident at DePue in the John Ward race, I think 1973 where Gerry and I were both broken down in the first turn. Next lap, an un named driver who is a really good friend, went a little wide and sideswiped Gerry, however, before contact he did a double jack knife jumping out of harms way. To this day, I have never seen a person move so fast. I'd say that dive would have been a perfect 10 in the Olympics. Gerry was a very nice guy. I know he liked kids because he was always great to us younger drivers.
    We all miss him very much. I had the pleasure of seeing him run over 100 at Devil's Lake in 1969. They did not up the record, but it was one of the most amazing sights in boat racing. the rooster tail was about 20 boat lengths.

Thread Information