Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Recently I was thinking about old records which were set in region 10, which were amazing runs. Pre 1971. One of a few that really stood out to me was a kilo run made by Craig (Tuna) Selvidge in his very unusual ASR at D Lake.

Craig was a big boy, I don't know how close he was to making weight but the boat was really wide, huge bottom width. Extremely thin deck with Saran wrap like covering. The engine he had sounded like it was going to scatter at any second, unreal RPM's.

If I remember right he pushed the record to around 67+ MPH. Does anybody remember more information, or have an old record book on hand?

The most amazing run I saw though was Gerry Walin in his BOH average over 100 on perfect water, prop riding, I think 1966.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walin at Modesto

About that same time Walin set a B record at Modesto Reservoir; his Anzani came unglued exiting the traps. The engine was so badly damaged Al Hart, the chief inspector, couldn't measure the engines' stroke. I showed Al how the stroke could be determined by sawing off the one remaining rod and measuring from the journal to the crank circle. Record granted.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default APBA 1976 Rule Book

According to my APBA 1976 Rule Book, Craig still held this record and two other kilo records:

A Stock Runabout, 61.120 MPH, Kilo, 9/24/72, Lincoln City, Ore, Boat Name: Super Floater Boater, Craig Selvidge Driver and Owner, Craig-Craft, Mercury

and Jerry Walin:

350 c.c. Hydro, 100.089, Kilo, 9/25/71, Lincoln City, Ore, Boat Name: The Fantum, Gerry Walin Driver and Owner, Hallum, Anzani
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    C Stock Hydro

VERY Part time boat racer, full time husband, dad, and philosopher...

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Word of Gerry Walin's B record quickly spread around the country. I remember talking about it in the pits at Lakeland in 1972. In fact, Ron Anderson may have been the one giving us some details. Can't remember. We were all blown away about not only getting that kind of speed out of such small displacement motor, but keeping the boat on the water for both runs. That got me to thinking about the previous record. This is what I found in the couple of rulebooks I had handy.

In 1968 Gerry had set a record of 98.329 in a Hallum-Karelsen powered by an Anzani. The 1966 APBA rulebook shows Walin set a record in 1965 of 88.285 at D Lake in a Geoff-Hagness owned by Ron Hagness, also Anzani powered. Don't know what happened between '65 and '68, but it appears Gerry was getting some good feedback on setups, props, etc.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Been out of touch with the sport

It's been a long time that I have been away from boat racing, I do remember Craig. I believe I had one of the last boats he built in 1975 (at least that was the way he signed the bottom when it was shipped to me).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Record

Well I was off by quite a bit on that ASR record, oh well I can blame it the years that have passed. Nonetheless, that record was broken by a large margin, wonder what the pre-existing ASR Kilo record was?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walin A/BOH

You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantum

Boy it would be neat if someone who was involved or knew would get on here and elaborate on those records, and how they did it with thoses motors and wheels back then, even little bits of info to keep the thread going. Thanks for the pic of the boat!! John Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bayside..........

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub

JDub, the new store is almost done and will be awaiting that boat...........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default craig Craft

Here is the 100% guaranteed last Craig Craft! Not too sure Craig even knows where the previous boat is… Craig has two hanging in his shop on Devils Lake, Mike Jones believes he may have it, and 981-M may have it… Craig had 30 years off from building boats and this was the first boat ride he had in 28 years. I will find the picture of him driving it and post them later.

J-Dub

Thread Information