Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Daren,
    This is possible... We will definitely need to be VERY clear on who owns it and what happens if... I probably should refinish it first.

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You mean this boat? This was Walins boat he set the AOH record at 90.--- and the BOH at 100.--- in about 1970. Then I the DSH record at 87.--- in 1997. I also made the cover of Propeller in January '96 after a failed attept in Parker using the same prop Gerry set the B record with: 8 1/2" X 15" two blade.

J-Dub
    I remember this boat being on the cover of the magazine. I love the looks of the old conventionals, which is why I built my hydro with a conventional nose. Is this a Craig Craft?
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

The hydro is a Karelsen.

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, J-Dub...

PLEASE post a picture of Gerry Walin's prop in my Vertual Propeller Museum...

Let me guess, CARY???? I remember seeing Jerry run through the kilo at Modesto....Big mother prop, no skeg on the gearcase and an outboard rudder (Like inboard hydros used).....Seems it was like 1965????

Didn't remember the Karlesen boat.....

Or send me a picture and I'll post it!!

How about posting some of your family's picture in the Encyclopedia section???

Thanks for being here!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Anzani engine, compliments to Charlie's CORE site.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle View Post
    Here's the Anzani engine, compliments to Charlie's CORE site.
    Arny (Jimmy Hallum) was at the shop today (he stops in every once in awhile to use the internet). We chatted some more about the Anzani. That unit has 16/21 gears (Merc A/B/C) in it, so would pull that 15p prop, but said the 1:1 unit really hauled ***! He said they had (3) Cary props, 13/14/15 pitch to use. He also said the motor ran really good with only the 2 rear carbs, but once they got into the fancy fuel, the other 2 carbs were used.

Jimmy is probably the smartest and most knowledgeable person I have ever known. He could easily be a "rocket scientist" or NASA engineer. He stilll remembers every thing about the motor and racing back then.............and all the records and attempts......
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Nice Gearcase but kind of late for me, I have one already

It seems that those Kilo gearcases keep popping in and out of view like a teaser but when you want to buy one the teasers don't respond back so you look elsehwere and buy what someone else with something else similar or the same comes along that was not teasing. That is what happened and I have a kilo gearcase of such design, so happy listing and good luck in selling it. Some one buying it out there will undoubtably be happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a picture John?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great pictures

Seeing those pics of Walin's setup bring back memories like it was yesterday. I have lots of memories from D-Lake, but Walin's runs are on the top of the list. It was not easy for Gerry to get a good clean run both directions there, I remember more than once he would make a good pass down the course, but could not nail the return pass. Had problems getting the boat out of the air, slowed down, get it turned around and wound up for the return pass. As a curious wide eyed kid I would be hanging around in the pits and remember Gerry and Jim getting prepared, and how meticulous and thorough they were. Genius is a word that comes to mind.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The picture is already posted on BRF

Amongst the pictures already posted the is a skegless gearcase there, an Anzani version 12/15 ratio.

Thread Information