Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    It seems that those Kilo gearcases keep popping in and out of view like a teaser but when you want to buy one the teasers don't respond back so you look elsehwere and buy what someone else with something else similar or the same comes along that was not teasing. That is what happened and I have a kilo gearcase of such design, so happy listing and good luck in selling it. Some one buying it out there will undoubtably be happy with it.

I never offered it to you!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a jaw-dropper. The Cary used by Hallum/Walin to hit the 100mph mark was THE SAME PROP used by Hu Entrop to first break 100mph with any outboard, going 107 in 1957, with a Mk75H (open exhausts, no pipes) on his R-22.

Mr. P, have you put up any pix of your dad's CU and DU Castagnetos? Those were such pretty boats, and didn't your dad hold a couple of records with them at Yelm and Delake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Entrop/Walin

These props??????? I used the Record prop on the same boat with my 44XS at the '95 Parker Kilos and could go over 88mph up river but broke sheer pins on all 3 return runs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by J-Dub; 12-17-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: more details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Here's a jaw-dropper. The Cary used by Hallum/Walin to hit the 100mph mark was THE SAME PROP used by Hu Entrop to first break 100mph with any outboard, going 107 in 1957, with a Mk75H (open exhausts, no pipes) on his R-22.

Mr. P, have you put up any pix of your dad's CU and DU Castagnetos? Those were such pretty boats, and didn't your dad hold a couple of records with them at Yelm and Delake?
    Entrop was not the first outboard to break 100 mph, but he was the first to exceed 100 mph with a production based motor (the year was 1958). The first to do 100 or better was Massimo DiPriolo (1954).

I went back and checked the details as told by Jack Leek who was running the Entrop record run for Mercury. The Entrop 107 mph record was set with a prop made by Ron Jones from a hand made pattern.

The Cary may have been used for Entrop's 114 or 122 mph record set in 1960 with a V-4 Evinrude
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Where were those good aircraft clevis pins in those days??

Sheared pins using a Merc 44?? What ever happened to those aircraft clevis pins quite available back then that would bite a bit, bend a bit but be dang if they would shear? You could evidently toss them under a 6 banger Flathead or Lon Stevens 6 banger Merc and those motors rarely ever sheared them where a lot of everything else would fail real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sheer pins

Broke clevis pins, and also Koenig pins too. They would only break once the boat "rolled over", started to prop ride and the rpm would drop from 7000 down to a little over 6000. The engine never would hit 6500 at 89mph.

Post Thanks / Like

J-Dub, take the props and pay Jimmy a visit, swap stories. He's just a few miles out of Duvall. If you can't get a number and address, PM me. He can give you endless info on that Karelsen, all of Entrop's rides, etc.. If you're into airplanes, Jim can talk that, too; he and I just spent a couple of hours at the Museum of Flight about six weeks ago.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

J-Dub...we had the same type failures. The Koenig pin was just too brittle to withstand the forces. Many others had similar situations and Pauly Bogosian answered most of boat racer problems throughout the midwest when he introduced us to the aircraft rivets. I am thinking its the same metallurgy makeup as what John referred to. It was a lightweight yellowish tan with a tint of green colored pin that you could really tighten the prop nut up without shearing. We had to do that because, if you didn't tighten it enough, the centrifugal force would throw the pin of a surfacing prop, but with the rifle blue Koenig pin the pressure of tightening it that much would cause it to break if too much pressure was applied during racing.

After around 1973 we had to drill all the prop shafts to 1/4" holes to keep from shearing pins. We used the same type metallurgy, but with aircraft bolts instead of rivets. They were 1/4" X 1 1/4" and we would saw off the head and SAE fine thread ends. You could really tighten them up and they would give during the race. When we took the props off, the bolts were not straight any longer. You could see on the bolts where each end came out of the prop shaft. We never had to drive them out, but you could tell by the marks that without the tensil strength and give, that sometimes a lesser pin would have failed. Bill Seebold at that time was boring all our props with a 1/4" shear pin hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Castegnato CU and DU-Dale Powell

Smitty:

All the photos are still at my dads house, with the exception of one that I brought home by accident in a pile of old Propeller mags. Dad did have a CU and DU Castagnato. He set a few records at Lawrence Lake, but never got a kilo record that I remember. If he did they did not last. He was very close though. They were pretty boats, and for those who are not familiar with them they had a flat chine on the left, and a rounded chine on the right. Made for a fast 1 2/3 mi. course boat. Later on Dad and Joe Price took the C boat and added a funky fiberglass needle nose to it to make it legal for D. I will post the photo when I get home this weekend. Tried everything to try to get that D record away from Ron at D-Lake.

They had a nickname for them "Cast Iron Magneto", must have been heavy. They went away eventually, Joe built a pair of new boats.

Working in the small village of Tanana, Alaska on the Yukon River this week, could be close to 50 below tonight. It is on the course of the Yukon 800. So don't want to hear anybody complaining about the cold! Down to about 3 hours of daylight too.

Post Thanks / Like

I REMEMBER!! That pointy-nosed boat looked like some early NASA project.

Who was the guy in Fairbanks that had a DSH picklefork hydro and an older Yamato 350cc? He got hold of me years ago and I photocopied my engine manual for him. Somebody thought he died a few years ago. Did he ever get to run the engine, or race?

Also, DP2, maybe you could put up a new thread somewhere in BRF on the current status (and maybe even the history, if you are ambitious and can get some help), of our type of outboard racing in Alaska. I think there used to be an annual marathon on the Tanana River, but how about the Yukon? Is there an active club in the Fairbanks area, or was there ever? We don't care if it's wildcat or APBA, we'd like to hear about it. Down in Anchorage there used to be a family named Urquhart that was very active. Is there any racing in Anchorage now?

Unfortunately, a lot of the racing in out-of-the-way locales petered out after the early '60s as it got harder to find parts for the Merc engines. Maybe there was an attitude change with a younger generation. I went to a race in 1965 on Lac la Hache, way up in the middle of Briitish Columbia. Lots of fun; it was the highlight of a small town festival. But by ten years later it was all gone, and one of the local racers told me that all the young guys wanted to do was drink.

Thread Information