Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Amazing old ASR kilo record D Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Hog Body"

Ron, the Region 12 sun may have affected your memory a bit… “Hog Body” is Chuck Walters and living well in the Havasu of Washington, Moses Lake. Ralph Hildebrand is also very alive and very well in Everett, Washington.

FYI: The only one who can properly pronounce/scream “Hog Body” is probably “Crazy” Al Clark of DeSouza.

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,
    you might be right on the years however the earliest it could have been was 1971, as I was a young J racer back then with my first camera.

a bit more to the story with the pictures..

when Gerry was going out for the first heat Hallum was the rope puller, and I remember he somehow caught the timing belt with the rope and pulled it right off, needless to say DNS well being a newbie J kid at the time I just watched this slow talking guy kind of scratch his head turn the mag pulley over a few times and say something to Gerry...
    At the time I was thinking who is this goof ball pulling the rope???
    well, needless to say I had NO idea who Jim Hallum was.

So the got it fixed and the picture is Gerry waiting for the second heat or the re run of the first heat ( I don't remember) and he is most likely wondering of the belt is going to say on, Hard to have a record run ready to go when things happen ..

hope this clears a few things up.

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Carl,

I think you might be right on the year being 1971. That was the last year that I raced and Gerry may have been using more than one setup at that time, I remember his trailer sure had a lot of motors and more props than I had seen in one trailer with the possible exception of Ted May. If I remember right Gerry was running his Kilo setup at the Divisional and I think he had just upped the kilo record (98mph?) It was the first time that I had seen bounce pipes on an Anzani. Gerry and I had the longest boats of any of the AOH's at the time.

Jerry

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default These stories on Jim Hallum, Ron Anderson and many others are simply great!

This is what I hoped would happen on BRF concerning those days of the Anzanis, Harrisons and the up and coming motors that would eventually surpass them. The characters around this stuff were some neat people with gifts many only came to know the more contact they had at race sites, in their garages, at marinas, club meetings and the such. They were and still are an amazing bunch and all these stories is the real fleshing out of the history they all contributed to and put a stamp on things in terms of development and results. Now if some of us can omly get these movers and shakers of the day to add to what people are already posting on here would be something else coming from their perspective of the day or that meet.

Question? I have a CD from Jim Hallum featuring racing from the late 1950s on up and I would like to get individual pictures from the DVD as a stop action shot of the action. What is a good computer program to collect those pictures in a format suitable for posting on here. It also would be pretty cool to post the whole DVD as a movie as well. Suggestions????

Post Thanks / Like

Well, something doesn't compute. Carl, is it possible you got this photo from somebody who had shot it earlier, and that you are inadvertently mixing memories from different years? It sure happens to me, and you're old enough to have lost a lot of neurons, too! Anyway, that appears to be a 2-carb, open pipe engine, and I didn't think Fantum ran them like that after about '69. Maybe this was a backup motor. If you saw them throw an ignition belt, that means they were using the Merc photocell ignition instead of the Lucas mag; I can't tell from the photo. What's more, I think that is the 10' 8" Marchetti I bought from him in '69 or '70 (a heavy boat, which I shouldn't have bought), after selling my 10' 2" Marchetti to Howard Shaw when he got into racing with the Myers crowd. The paint-job is different, but I think it's the boat, because after selling his boat to me, Fantum then built a B and a C boat that were more-or-less Marchetti copies. I don't think he had any other Marchettis after he sold the one to me. He also had a smaller semi-short-sponson Sid-Craft that he used in AOH, but I can't remember when he stopped using that.

In any case, Wayne, this would not have been the famous 100mph run we have referred to here many times, but one of the 5-mile closed-course runs.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew it wasn't the kilo run, but there were some big competition records set out that way also. That's what I meant when I referred to the clock. That shot typifies to me the transition between being in the pits doing the things it takes to get ready and the actual firing up the motor and getting a shove out of the pits. Waiting. You do nothing but look at the balls on the clock and/or a watch.

Post Thanks / Like

What did I say about losing neurons? DUHHH. I hope I don't start drooling on myself.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default The movies and the boat lengths at 100 mph look scary!

It never ceases to amaze that racers back then when Anzanis, Harrisons and the appearances of the Flatheads etc. with all that horsepower were able to go as fast as they did without blowing over more frequently than they did using the conventional hydros of the day. Just running DSH in conventional hydros I found myself taking showers some 13 times before the Butts Aerowing pickelforks caught on in the late 1970s out here and then only once since and that was because a steering pulley broke on a Butts Super C hydro and certainly not because of packing air all the other ones were attributed to. That means the skills at those speeds out there being set in Region 10 setting those M, 250 and 350 hydri records was exceptional using conventional hydros meanwhile at lower speeds we were in stock hydros must have looked like netted before beached flapping fish by comparrison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    Anyway, that appears to be a 2-carb, open pipe engine, and I didn't think Fantum ran them like that after about '69. Maybe this was a backup motor. If you saw them throw an ignition belt, that means they were using the Merc photocell ignition instead of the Lucas mag; I can't tell from the photo.

Smitty,

I looked at the pictures in photoshop blown up and it looks to me as if Gerry was running a Lucas mag. I think that he was still running the mags with the bounce pipes at the Divisionals at Moses Lake but I could be wrong, after all that was 37 years ago and my mind is not as sharp now as it was then. Er, what the heck did I have for breakfast a few hours ago?

Jerry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scanner 2

I was operating scanner 2 at Devil's when Gerry Walin set at record at 100mph and a few years leading up to it. He was running at the speed for 2 or three years but could never back up his first run. I remember him going 106 mph one way.
    It was great to be part of that history.

Darrell
    Last edited by Mark75H; 12-24-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information