Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Hit a Discount Tire and ask them if you can get some old tire weights from them, either that or an old gas station.

Post Thanks / Like

I do alot of bullet casting, and scrounge Lead from the scrap yard, or as mentioned, places that work on tires.

If you want to mold something basic- it ain't pretty, it smells & smokes really bad, but will work-- is to make your mold from old and real dry wood. Make your mold, melt the lead preferably outside while staying 'up wind' of it , and pour it slowly into the mold all at once. You can get 3-4 castings from a wood mold before it sort of trashes out.

But be careful:
    If the wood is wet, you can get a steam explosion that will throw that 500+ degree molten lead about 20 feet in all directions.

I dry my mold in the oven for about a hour at 250 to chase out any moisture.
    Then, pour slowly, and watch that the mold doesn't make a bunch of hissing noises. If it does, stop there.

If you're only needing a plate 1/4 inch or so thick, you could just make a impression in the ground and put a steel or Alum. sheet metal plate at the bottom and pour it there. It won't stick to the steel or Alum., trim the edges with a saw after it cools, and it should do OK.

oldalkydriver

Exclamation Weight

When I raced, I was pretty light. My grandfather gave me some old canvas bags. I soon learned to fill them with 'beach sand'. When wet (after a race) it weighed more then dry! Helped in 'A', 'B' & 'C' Hydro. Really helped out the few times I was able to run Torprahanian's 'F' runabout. Only weighed 160lbs then. Oh what I'd give for those days again. The best thing is you could place the weight where you wanted it during a race. Lots of times I put it by the steering wheel on a windy stretch, or throw between my feet going with the wind. Usually had three or four bags with 7lbs. each.

Tomtall

Post Lead source

One of the larger lead suppliers in the mid west. The downside, shipping cost.

AMES Metal Prod. Co.
    4323 south western blvd.
    Chicago,Ill.,60609
    Ph.# 773-523-3230

They offer 12"+12" lead sheets in varying thickness. Work good under the kneeling pads in hydros and runabouts.

Note: Lead is poisionous! Handle with gloves or clearcoat sheets to avoid direct contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad someone finally pointed that out

Melting lead is very bad for your health . It can be done in a safe way . DONT I repete DONT breath the fumes . When the lead gets in your lungs it doesnt go away .Check the web to see what doctors have to do to to get the lead out of your system. Scary. If you are melting lead and can smell it and taste it it is going in your lungs. A fan on high, blowing everything away from you is just a start. If your kids decide to get down wind then its going in ther lungs. Lead is something that is necessary for boat racing but caution MUST be taken on how you work with it, Use your head , just like you would with any other substance you use while building a fine raceboat,just a safety thought .
    Jack

Thread Information