Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weight

Anyone have any good source for weight (lead) to add to your boat. I have two studs on the inside of my transom that would be a good spot to attach it. The local hardware stores don't seem to carry lead any longer. Any ideas?
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

bill boyes

Go to a dive shop they will have weights that Scuba Divers use.
    or for raw lead try your local plumbing supply.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill. I'll look into that.

I also found about 15 lbs of lead I could melt down. Is there a safe way to melt it down and make a flat sheet out of it say 1/4 inch thick?
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sure

Don't tell Ma, but you can melt it down in a frying pan on the stove.

A less painful method is to melt it down in a pot over a bed of coals from a nice bon fire. They make eletric heater elements that will do the jon I imagine. I know for duck decoy anchors you can buy a kit that melts lead and make your own decoy anchors.

Lead has a lower melting point than most any cooking pan or pot in the kitchen............

Best Advice is above. Use dive weight. You can find ankle weights in 1 - 5 increments at your local sporting store. They use them in areobics. The bag has five zippered openings, and you can have up to five filled for 5 pounds. I think they make them larger as well. Use these, and you can move the weight around in your boat to where it is best suited.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact a roofing supply company near you. Some sell sheets that are used in commercial applications. That is where I got my last sheet. It was roughly 30"x30". Then I found beer and lead is now not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I use lead shot. You can buy it at any sporting goods store that sells reloading equipment. Just put the amount you need in a bag and duct tape it. I have a couple of battery boxes mounted that allow me to move it around depending on conditions.
    Joe Horvath
    1994 Mirage Mod VP
    12" Rude Looper

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason
    Don't tell Ma, but you can melt it down in a frying pan on the stove.

A less painful method is to melt it down in a pot over a bed of coals from a nice bon fire. They make eletric heater elements that will do the jon I imagine. I know for duck decoy anchors you can buy a kit that melts lead and make your own decoy anchors.

Lead has a lower melting point than most any cooking pan or pot in the kitchen............

Best Advice is above. Use dive weight. You can find ankle weights in 1 - 5 increments at your local sporting store. They use them in areobics. The bag has five zippered openings, and you can have up to five filled for 5 pounds. I think they make them larger as well. Use these, and you can move the weight around in your boat to where it is best suited.
    Be sure to throw the frying pan away. Lead is TOXIC Remember all the fuss about lead in paint and ceramic food containers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seanp3
    Anyone have any good source for weight (lead) to add to your boat. I have two studs on the inside of my transom that would be a good spot to attach it. The local hardware stores don't seem to carry lead any longer. Any ideas?
    Sean, stop by Saturday and I'll show you what I do with the dive weight bags. If you need some weight, there's bound to be extra on the beach. I could drop 20 lbs myself
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraboy
    Sean, stop by Saturday and I'll show you what I do with the dive weight bags. If you need some weight, there's bound to be extra on the beach. I could drop 20 lbs myself

See you there Mike. I think I've got a system worked out. I'll let you take a look and you can tell me if it looks safe. I just don't want 20 lbs coming lose and tearing a hole in the bottom
    Sean Byrne
    69R 169R

Post Thanks / Like

Default How about

a hole in your head? Bottoms can be fixed!!!!

Thread Information