Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is There an AOF of OPC?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is There an AOF of OPC?

One group I never see discussed is AOF OPC from the 60's to the 70's.Most races were held in Texas, Oklahoma and Missiouri. I grew up around this era and wondered if anyone else on this board ever attended or raced in AOF's OPC classes.
    In Oklahoma montly races were held at lake Overholser. I have two memories of famous names running at that lake. During a local race, two factory drivers raced there once for OMC (Sanders and Posey I think). They were referred to as the money men and beleive me after watching them run you could understand why.
    In the mid-80's a thunder boat race was held here with the Mod-VPs. Mod-VP instantly became my favorite class of all time as they ran a tri-oval course with the long leg very close to the bank. Lots of famous names at that race, Mr. Hill is it possible that you were there as well?
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-11-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

NOA, AOF came later and has never had OPC
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aof

AOF did branch out of NOA, but there was an OPC division. Too many deaths and injuries caused it to phase out in the mid to late 70s. I have proof, but it is in Oklahoma and I'm in Fl. I loved this time during racing. The classes were broken up by cubic inch and the tunnels and V bottoms raced against each other in the smaller classes. I wonder if Connie would know of any archives?

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this time Sam There is a little bit of proof here in Texas, but I think it will suffice.

My recollection is of AOF starting in 1972. The Pro races were under the banner of Gulf Canadian Series. The OPC had a series entitled Trans Continental. Then there was the Trans Am series, which I think were mod's or the NOA AmPro division. There may have been other individual sanctions held this year other than the series events but I'm not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

We were only members of AOF in the first year.....1972. We never did get a rulebook as I think it probably first came out for the 1973 season. Sure would like to have one. Anyway, the OPC division of AOF came to be called OPB. Here are a couple more excerpts from some 1972 newletters regarding OPB.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up SamIAM

Hey Wayne , we have to remember Sam's only in his 40's, can't be expected to know it all?

He does pretty darn good for a youngster.
    At any rate all'y'all keep git'n'er done.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thank you for posting that. Those names bring back so many memories. Jimmy Zeka, Greg Ruth, Tom Woods, I could go on and on.

Interesting note on the deletion of the ski boat class after the 73 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Richard--I could only wish to know half the history that Sam does. That's the only misstep I've seen and that because there is very little out there on the early history of AOF. I've made quite a few goofs, because I am now at the age where I my memory tricks me into "thinking" I know it.

Tstone--Your'e welcome. And the curious thing about dropping the ski boat class is that I think the growth of ski boat classes in NOA and the attention being put toward them was one of the things that started the movement away from NOA. Not that I have anything against ski boats, but it seemed to be one of the things the PRO drivers thought was taking away from the PRO division.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe it! If you read the last AOF newsletter and the interview that was done of me, I listed Sam as one of my heroes. He know everything. Now I like him even more because I know he's human after all. He did make a mistake. OPB. Pre runner to the OPC classes was one of the original categories or divisions of AOF.
    I might also add that the OPB division has never been removed as a division. Every once in a while we get a group who want to race. No problem getting their division approved; because it already is.
    Quite a few of the sport C's runnin in AOF. We call them SST35. (Super sport tunnel, I think it means. The 35 is because of the engine or something).
    Also had a group running a few years ago in Jesup, GA and even ran in Pineville and some other Southern states. Their AOF club was the NAC (North American Challenge).
    I found some paperwork in which Val (BK's) father in law ....Collins won quite a few AOF championships in Texas.
    Connie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Collins?

What classes did Val Collins race? I remember some of the names, but it really helps if I can picture the boat. (I remember all the boats) I was still pretty young at the time.

What I remember of the ski boat class, was that it was originally set up for the average ski boat to run. This quickly morphed into stripped power cats running the biggest outboards they could find. They were running speeds faster than most of the regular race classes. Pretty soon no "true" weekend ski boats ran anymore. It did make for some great racing though.
    Unlimited V was my personal favorite. Jimmy Zeka, Bobby Wall and sometimes Greg Ruth, always amazed me with the way they could handle their Allison's.
    Watching the development of tunnel boats against the V's was also exciting. They kept getting faster and faster but never quite dominated until after we had already left racing (temporarily)

Thread Information