Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Europe

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Europe

If anyone hasn't found it yet, the www.formulaseries.net site has an item that Giuliano Landini is getting back into boat racing. No class is mentioned. What a nice guy. I always enjoyed my visits with he and his father in Boretto. Giuseppe spoke no English and we needed an interpreter, but Giuliano did, good enough to get by. I am sure Wayne will remember Giuseppe from Dayton and maybe have some pictures.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Guiseppe very well Ralph, and also his brother Remo. We used to correspond, then find someone to interpret. In person we could gesture, point, talk & because it was racing business we understood. When I first met Guiseppe in Dieter's shop, he pointed at himself and said "Guiseppe". then he touched my chest and said "Tu?" and I told him my name.

His lack of english cost him the first heat of the OB World Championships at Dayton when he pulled in to the pits prior to the black flag. It was not a UIM rule, but a course rule that was allowed to stand and held up in a protest. After that Dick Scoponich stayed close to our pits to interpret.

I'll find some pics Ralph. I have many of Guiseppe, Remo and their crew.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landini Family

Ralph, I think that you will recognize some of these pictures from our trip to Boretto to the World Championships. You will remember the people in the photos and how much we had there.

1. Giuliano Landini
    2. Guiseppe in the background and Giuliano in the foreground.
    3. Giuliano on the podium.
    4. Giuliano
    5. Guiseppe
    6. Giuliano
    7. Giuliano
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Thanks / Like

Herr DuCoffre in the white shirt in pics 3 & 5. A meister of the UIM rule book. A gentleman, and also a keen observer to ensure rules are strictly enforced.

Post Thanks / Like

Guiseppe and Remo Landini and pit crew at Spandau in Berlin 1977. Remo is in the center with life jacket and helmet. Guiseppe is standing at the right. I forget the names of the pit crew.

B & W is Remo in his No. 105 hydro sponsored by Pioneer, a manufacturer of chainsaws (if I remember correctly). Guiseppe and pit crew also signed the photo. No. 11 is Dieter Konig's nephew Joachim Mareth, who I believe was reigning OA world champ when this was taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great pictures Wayne!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Europe

Joe, I raced in Boretto two years ago, and the grounds and pits have been improved greatly. But the pits are still about thirty feet above the river and the current is so strong that it will pull your boat off of the jetty. Your picture of podium has the Russian, Andre Bernitsin, and Laszlo Volenter, which if you remember, Bernitsin had won two heats of the 350, and in the final heat was out front again when his boat, a tunnel boat, suddenly nose dived into the river. He was OK, but when they retrieved the boat a piece of wood was wedged between the prop and the cavitation plate and stopped the motor. Manfred Loth won, but he isn't on the podium.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Manfred

RALPH,I was taking DuCoffre picture ,so I CUT manfred head off in the photo.I have some more shots of Manfred,but Ihave to find them.I sound like wayne.Ihave agood shot of Manfred being drived around Borretto in the sports car.

Thread Information