Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Fuel

Tomtall

Question Cool Fuel

Had to ask this ? to BRF members to get your thoughts.

In the old days when I drag raced cars I would use a "cool can" to run my gas thru on its way to the carbs.( A coffee can sized container with alum. tubing coiled inside of it with ice and water added). I tried this same application years latter on our tunnel hull but we experienced a bog off the starting dock, so we did away with that idea. Now I am wondering if any one else has played around with this add on fuel system item with outboards and had any kind of positive results.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cool fuel

in the old opc "R " class -unlimited up to 70 cu.inches, Mike schnell tried to keep his gas cold before & between the heats. He said the "light ends " evaporate first. He was running a merc800 (4cyl) on a SUPER Speedmaster lower unit (yes he was ) on a Ron Jones HYDRO(cab over) .He claimed he was the only guy who ever figured out how to run a big unit like that on a 12' hydro. He did not drive it, though. Terry Clemm drove it. it held the R kilo , i think @
    107 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seriously considered using a cool can in FE ... but I am guessing that the fuel lines and fuel pump would need to be insulated to be effecitve. You would also have to keep your gas on ice in a cooler pre-race and have an insulated fuel tank.

It might simplify things to use an electric fuel pump and return unused gas to the tank (similar to an overflow carb set up). If I do that, I'll add a second kill switch for the fuel pump.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Fuel

Sounds good to me , ESPECIALLY on a HOT day.

Next idea; how about a long chilled air tunnel through the boat -to the carbs - to supply chilled
    air to the induction "SYSTEM" ?

I just thought of that

( simpler to SAY , than to do , I admit )

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, I remember some Alky teams doing this. I believe that Dick O'Dea's team tried putting methanol on ice before the races.

Tomtall

Default system set up

When we did this on our drag cars the cool can was maybe 3' from the carbs at most and our fuel lines had insulation wrap covering them. Our main reason for doing this was to keep purculation (boiling of the fuel) to a minimum in the float bowls. We were racing at 5000 ft. (1 mile high) and in 90 to 100 deg. temp. We pushed the gas from the fuel cell end to keep the fuel under pressure. Fuel is harder to boil (purculate) when under pressure then trying to suck it to the engine compartment under a vacume state from the tank. My consern with the outboards is that the fuel being used per minute is a lot less then a 800 h.p. big block. Which is going to allow the fuel in the lines more time to re-heat after it leaves the can. We also used alchohol on the ice as well, boy that stuff got super cold but melted the ice a lot quicker. Our cool cans were insulated with cork to hold the cold in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall
    My consern with the outboards is that the fuel being used per minute is a lot less then a 800 h.p. big block. Which is going to allow the fuel in the lines more time to re-heat after it leaves the can.
    My thoughts exactly. With a recirculation system the carbs would always have cool being delivered to them.

The theory behind the cool can idea is that the fuel cools the air in the area behind the fuel discharge nozzle in the carb at least back to the reeds and possibly into the crankcase ... possibly enough to cause this air to shrink enough to cause even more air to pass thru the carb. Like a correctly working tuned exhaust, you can tell if it is working when it causes a mixture strength change (requiring a carb jet change).

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Try using just a little water as a starter and whatever voids there are between the ice, fill them with salt. Sodium chloride and potassium chloride are both endothermic and give off cold as they dissolve. That's what gives ice its boost in an ice cream maker. If I remember right potassium chloride (salt lite) gets colder quicker. Also, ice that's been in the cooler all night is not near as cold as ice fresh from the freezer. It's like fuel with the light ends evaporated off.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also considered using dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) as a booster, since it is a little below -100 F when solid at sea level pressure

I have also considered the possbility of dropping dry ice directly into the gas to pre chill it ... as long as I vented the CO2 vapor off. Does anyone now how soluable CO2 is in gasoline? It might make it fizzy and dilute it compounding vapor lock that Tom was avoiding

Probably would be too fizzy to use directly in gasoline ... I found it is soluable directly in both ethanol and acetone
    Last edited by Mark75H; 07-04-2006 at 08:45 PM.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver
    When I was a kid, I remember some Alky teams doing this. I believe that Dick O'Dea's team tried putting methanol on ice before the races.
    David,

WE actually used a drag racer type fuel cooler. When I set the "C & D" competition records in Lakeland in 1969 that's what we used. It used to drive Dick nuts trying to locate Dry Ice for the cooler. The fuel was not pre-cooled and when you finished a heat, the cooler had to be re-filled with Dry Ice. At Depue that year, I won "C" & was 4th in "D", but we couldn't find any dry ice. We just used regular ice, which probably had little effect.

Thread Information