Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T
    David,

WE actually used a drag racer type fuel cooler. When I set the "C & D" competition records in Lakeland in 1969 that's what we used. It used to drive Dick nuts trying to locate Dry Ice for the cooler. The fuel was not pre-cooled and when you finished a heat, the cooler had to be re-filled with Dry Ice. At Depue that year, I won "C" & was 4th in "D", but we couldn't find any dry ice. We just used regular ice, which probably had little effect.
    Interesting. I specifically remember someone using it at Winona, MN one year at the Nationals (maybe with a Crescent 500cc ?).

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver
    Interesting. I specifically remember someone using it at Winona, MN one year at the Nationals (maybe with a Crescent 500cc ?).
    Could have been Dick with Jeff Hutchins driving but by then he had all but abandoned the Alky Crescent.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot in OK ?

If it is above 100 at the long course Nats in OK, we may need ice in our Kevlars !!!! Anyone have any ideas on that !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default cool cans in U & S-class tunnels

OMC factory tried cool cans in U-class boats in 70's on V4's. They used dry ice in an aluminum can, with fuel running through a coil inside the can. i don't really recall any of the other details, and it was hard to tell if there was really any positive improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

If you run a cool can on an outboard, it needs to be mounted at the fuel pick up on front of the engine to gain the most. You can easily make a plug in style connection on both ends and run the fuel through. Add this, a dry ice chamber around a 1.5' long velocity tube , just a pipe around a another aluminum pipe with an uncorkable end, and an oxygen injector either at the manifold/carb base, or directly into the velocity stack. We gained 300 RPM from the cool can, another 150 with the velocity stack, and nearly 1000 from the oxygen on a 50 HP Evinrude twin on a 13' Checkmate painted plum ugly.

It gave us a bunch for not alot of money because everything was hand built.

We actualy thought about cheese punching 1/16" holes every inch along the running surface of the bottom and adding a compressed air tank acting like an air hockey table. We never got around to pulling that feat off. I got the idea from John Wayne Janacky after he made his 105 MPH run with a box stock 235 OMC on his Switzer Shooting Star. He thought of it but no one ever implemented it.....Imagine the possibilities

Tomtall

Default Dry Ice

What liquid can you pour in with the dry ice to get good contact with the tubing in the cool can?
    David - I don't see why you couldn't use just plain old H2O. I know we do this every holloween to make the steaming witch's brew. I would think you would just need a small vent on the top of the cool can to vent the gasses coming off of it. Just an idea.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dry ice cool can

It is common when using dry ice in a cool can to use isopropyl alcohol as the liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Isopropyl alcohol is a very good idea, but remember 90% isopropyl is 10% water, don't be surprised to find a little bit of water ice in the container now and then, it would be a normal event.

The freeze/melt point for 100% isopropyl is -90 degrees C. Dry ice sublimes from solid to liquid at -109 or -104 F, but I don't remember which without looking it up.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing point

Water and alcohol together make a solution not a mixture. The water in isopropyl being the lesser amount is the solute and the alcohol is the solvent. So the water will not freeze separately from the alcohol. No more than the water in your car radiator would freeze out of the antifreeze because they are a solution not a mixture. It is also good to note that almost without exception, solutions freeze at a lower temperature than either of the two components separately.

Thread Information