Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Cat Speed

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default power cats

i sure liked looking at those boats. Their was glen-l's , clark-craft , Bristols & a few more , made of wood . I'd still like a Glen-l 14 footer. Neat

Post Thanks / Like

Default PowerCat speeds

We are just about ready to start testing my 1960 PowerCat 15C with twin 1961 700's and SSM's. The 15 is allot smaller than the 17 but if she'll go 58 -63sh we'll be happy and call it done.

I would guess that the 17' could run mid 40's if everythings in decent shape. We have a member of our group running 45 on a 16' PC with freshly rebuilt Mk 78 powerheads. Those old DR lowers are not the most effecient design.

Dago on the value of your 17' find, I would suspect some where between 2,000.00 to 3,500.00 but you never know, there are some real Crazies out there that might pay allot more. When the right guy with a big wallet is looking for one, the sky is the limit, others stay for sale for a long long time. If you get her cleaned up and running that would add greatly to the value.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Sunburnt; 07-13-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    I like the old White motors myself

My present restoration project, 1960 Powercat 15C
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/JBowman/JBowman.html

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fine Job

Beautiful restoration. The farmer paid $5,000. for it at the factory in Bellflower without a trailer. I stand corrected. It is a 16 footer. His friend bought a 15' wooden Powercat and it came apart after the first marathon and the factory gave him a new fiberglass boat as a replacement.

Dago Fast

Post Thanks / Like

The one you have found is the model we call an 18c.. they should measure 16ft 3in to 16ft 5in
    from the transom to the nose.. depending on who is doing the measuring.
    They first came out in 1958 and remained in the line up through 1966.
    They make for a good all around boat, and can handle some pretty rough
    water easily for a boat under 20ft. One like this is considered the
    "worlds fastest Power Cat" running 103 mph measured by GPS. The owner
    had an older pair of 2.4 V6 merc Offshore Mercs on it. He has since sold
    the motors and no longer runs the boat. There is a video available on the
    website showing it.http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/Br...yanJordan.html
    Danny Leger

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges
    Any of you pre historic guys like me remember the little 13 ft. (12'3") powercat that the Hendricks boys ( i think that was their name ) from fresno raced in late 50's Northern Calif-in C C R A ? in marathons ? ran two Mk58's W/quickies . fast - w/quincy stacks -i saw them run the Stockton to Colusa &back race , would average 70 mph . Supposely was timed once at 83 mph . It was fastest boat
    in THOSE races , and what a sound, returning on the Sunday. i can still hear them from a couple miles away . Screaming like a PIPE organ "gone wild ". -
    There is a small 12 or 13 foot powercat like this in Il, around the St Louis area. A friend of mine had it and recently sold it. It was in perfect comdition. It look to have had twin mk55's on it, before he got it from the marks on the transom. That is a very rare powercat, I hope to see it in Quincy at the AOMCI meet there next september.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fast enough!

My dad Joe Stevens and Uncle Russ Tabor used to race that boat..type..in the 60's..in the Stockton area...it was a sweet boat...I still have my Powercat hydro from that time...Joe Stevens Jr.

they say you only go around once, but I say if you go really really fast, you might just get around twice!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Powercat

DAGO,

check out this site.

http://retroboats.net/

some of the guys run those Powercats and can tell you a lot more (one of the guys is "Jeff" that posted above). I went out with them on 12/31/06 and they had some of their boats running fast!! Nice group of people and boats!

http://www.retroboats.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

BUY IT, looks like a fun boat.

sid

Thread Information