Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Power Cat Speed

Anyone know what kind of speeds this 17 ft. 1959 Powercat with two
    Mk 78's is capable of?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Default 98....

My F-150 hits the rev limiter at 98...that is what that Power Cat will do on the back of my boat...

As your manager, I'm instructing you to deliver that boat to my shop asap....AND THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great shape

I found this in a barn on a farm in Lower Sacramento County.
    It is actually in pretty good shape. It is just a little dusty from the barn.
    Gelcoat still shines and bottom looks like it came from the factory.
    According to the farmer, it was last used in 1997 and has been stored ever since.
    Dago Fast

Post Thanks / Like

Probably will run mid to high 40's if the motors are in good shape
    Looks to be all original with the top added at some latter year....
    You going to take ownership or is it for sale??
    Danny Leger

Post Thanks / Like

I raced against a Powercat exactly like that in 1958/59. Same color, same engines. The boat was owned by a dealership out of Waterloo Iowa and the race was run in a small town in Guttenberg Iowa. The race was a "run what you brung type race". I still have the newspaper clippings with a pic of the cat running. I was driving a Mk 58 (white) with a "club" foot on a new Speedliner owned by a Doctor Zehr. He flipped the boat the week before and asked if I would like to drive it in the race. I did, and won the race. Powercat was second. We had 17 entries. As I recall, the Merc/Speedliner would run about 46/47 miles per hour and was considerably faster than the Powercat around the course. I owned a 15 foot Powercat with two Merc 50's on it and I would say it ran right around 50. After I "let it go" for 1500 dollars to an E-bay scam artist, I found out the real value of the boat. I was offered 6000 the next day after I sold the boat. Powercat has a HUGE following. Grab the boat, don't worry about the speed and enjoy some history! Rod Zapf

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Powercat
    Probably will run mid to high 40's if the motors are in good shape
    Looks to be all original with the top added at some latter year....
    You going to take ownership or is it for sale??
    Danny Leger

Any idea what it is worth? It is for sale.

Dago Fast
    Attached Images Attached Images   

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default powcat

i notice it has WESTACH in it . they ( the Westachs ) used to be made here in Napa, ca . they might still be made over Sonoma way (about 12 miles away. )
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 07-13-2006 at 08:45 AM.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default powuh cat

Any of you pre historic guys like me remember the little 13 ft. (12'3") powercat that the Hendricks boys ( i think that was their name ) from fresno raced in late 50's Northern Calif-in C C R A ? in marathons ? ran two Mk58's W/quickies . fast - w/quincy stacks -i saw them run the Stockton to Colusa &back race , would average 70 mph . Supposely was timed once at 83 mph . It was fastest boat
    in THOSE races , and what a sound, returning on the Sunday. i can still hear them from a couple miles away . Screaming like a PIPE organ "gone wild ". -
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 07-13-2006 at 01:07 PM.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pipe organ

IT was magic. thinking about it brought tears to my eyes .
    Just an old fool .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1960 Naples, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Fast
    Anyone know what kind of speeds this 17 ft. 1959 Powercat with two
    Mk 78's is capable of?
    Mercury sent a white Powercat 17' with twin Mark 78's ?? from Lake "X" to give rides at new dealer opening Boat Haven. I rode in the boat and it seemed very fast with no windshield or speedo. Driver said it would run near 50mph.
    An employee of Naples Test Station was out with his family on the weekend in the "Bluey". Bluey was a 24' Cabin Cruiser powered by twin Evinrude 75's that ran 37mph.
    In those days when boats met in the channel you would come off plane "wave" and acceleerate till you met the next boat.
    The Mercury Powercat with passengers came upon "Bluey" and in a series of three "drag" races she ran away from the Powercat. Finally when they met another boat the Powercat stayed at full throttle and passed.
    It didn't take long before Mercury published a "Boathouse Bulletin" warning that the "JohnRude" 75 wasn't like the "Fat-Fifty" and to make sure their boat was set up correctly before making comparisons.
    Powercats are critical to tilt pin position. Power trim bracket's would be great. Enjoy!

Thread Information