Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50hp Yamaha or Tohatsu

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod Yamaha

We have a modified 2 modified yamahas in our club. They are APBA spec FE's. We don't have ours worked out yet but the one that is worked out will definitely run with the best 3cyl OMC's in the country!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kampenracing View Post
    A Mod Tohatsu will definitely eat up a Mod 44. We run a Mod Yamaha in super E and they are definitely faster than a Merc 44. They are very similar engines.
    Not sure what you mean by similar engines here

Is your SE based on the Yamaha70 or ?

As far as the Tohatsu vs merc....Is there anyone out there who has significantly modded a Tohatsu and is eating up Mod 44's or OMC FE's ? or is this just an asumtion?

I think there have been some guy's in region10 who have run the Tohatsu in D stock at the same hight the merc is alowed...and they arent by any means eating up the 44xs.....

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir up a debate...I just Havent seen any "REAL RACING DATA" to say the engine is all that it is feared to be..

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart
    Jeff 93-C

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamaha's Is !!!

Jeff, that one Kieth's talking about is really fast , that's from a spectators view around the track, the toosu in stock form can't handle a 40" ( realD ) mod merc , but more to come , after all 2 yrs. as your parity people say just isn't enough time.
    Add no height restrictions in NBRA .
    RichardKCMoQUOTE=Jeff Akers;28677]Not sure what you mean by similar engines here

As far as the Tohatsu vs merc....Is there anyone out there who has significantly modded a Tohatsu and is eating up Mod 44's or OMC FE's ? or is this just an asumtion?

I think there have been some guy's in region10 who have run the Tohatsu in D stock at the same hight the merc is alowed...and they arent by any means eating up the 44xs.....

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to stir up a debate...I just Havent seen any "REAL RACING DATA" to say the engine is all that it is feared to be..

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers View Post
    Not sure what you mean by similar engines here

Looking for "REAL" Info, not a Dyno chart
    the Yammer is a 3cyl 40/50 that is also a legal FE motor (and would be my choice in FE, since it doesn't vibrate your balls off...LOL). No "mods" are allowed to the Tohatsu in DMH (and won't be for quite a long time), so will not be "smokin" the Mercs or OMCs for awhile now. The reason they do win once in awhile in DMH (in Reg10) is because they FINISH the race, instead of breaking down. That is what is so nice about racing a BRAND NEW motor! Just get in the boat, push the electric start button and go racing............

oh ya, and if ya need parts for your Tohatsu, just run down to the local Tohatsu dealer and order them up (if they do not have them in stock) and will be there in less than a week. If your Bass tower or lower unit needs parts (very unlikely, as they are both pretty bullet proof), just call Sid and you will have what you need in a couple days...............now, how nice is that??

PS: I will have your "real data" shortly................ya know what I mean Jeff! Can't wait to run with ya in DMH! Funny thing, I am a Merc tech and I bought a Tohatsu, and Jeff, YOU are an OMC tech, and YOU bought a Tohatsu...........shouldn't that be a wake up call for others????
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just to clarify

We are all talking about the 3cyl Tohatsu. The 2cyl would make a good anchor as far as I'm concerned.
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    PS: I will have your "real data" shortly................ya know what I mean Jeff! Can't wait to run with ya in DMH! Funny thing, I am a Merc tech and I bought a Tohatsu, and Jeff, YOU are an OMC tech, and YOU bought a Tohatsu...........shouldn't that be a wake up call for others????

Yea, I know what you mean Daren.........Yep, looking forward to running the Tohatsu in the antique merc class
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Akers View Post
    Yea, I know what you mean Daren.........Yep, looking forward to running the Tohatsu in the antique merc class

"antique Merc class".................
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default why do you not start to beat us first...

When the Tohatsu starts to win on a regular basis, then you can call them Antiques..
    I don't know how long has the Yammy 50HP has been around. The Tohatsu is a near photocopy of that engine.. Maybe we could find some engineers who think for themselves and can design a new motor... not copy someone else's OH YA! I forgot there all cast at the same place to save some money...

Have either of you tried to order parts yet.. how about 8-10 weeks for a recoil housing and carb kits. Now! that is Fast but I called Sierra yesterday and ordered parts for the 44 and WOW they were here today... Any business that knows their stuff is reliable in the field are not going to stock HARD Parts.. like pistons etc... How many tohatsu 40 and 50's are on EBAY, Hardly any, GOOD LuCK with that...
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep up the good humor

You guys are hilarious, keep it coming. I need something funny after reading about the APBA SORC wisdom.
    Neil Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post
    How many tohatsu 40 and 50's are on EBAY, Hardly any, GOOD LuCK with that...
    There must be a lot of satisfied customers out there.
    Jeff Yungen

Thread Information