Found a letter I needed a year ago, when several of were arguing about WD-40. That doesn't matter now, but Zak's suggestions may help someone. This quote, with unaltered punctuation, is from a letter to a 4-cyl Konig owner for whom Zak had rebuilt a crank, around 1975 or so:

"When done running and the engine has cooled, fire it up on the bank and (underlined in the letter) again. With the long spout on WD-40, LPS-1, or Sherwin-Williams 711 sprayon reach through the carbs and saturate the rods through the rod-slots (see note below). Rotate the crank several times and saturate again and rotate the crank several more times. Then put several drops of straight in each rod. Preferrably do this with the engine on its side with carbs pointing up. Reason for letting the engine cool before using the demoisturant is that it has a sulfur content and will mark up metal. Faithfully do this and use Blenzol for your fuel mix and I'm sure I'll not hear from you for a long time on crank problems."

Note-- One of Zak's services was slotting the big ends of con-rods (although he said slots were more important in gas-burners, to dissipate heat. If your rods aren't slotted, you'd still use the demoisturant spray to flush the bearing area as best you can.

We have some synthetic oils now which might be good for post-race running the engine on the beach, even if you preferred to use Blenzol/castor for racing. Comments?