Thread: An Amazing Story

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 pipe C Yamato - 4-carb D Konig

Denny - It all comes back when you have to use your memory. I ran a 4-carb D Konig on a 10-6 Sid Craft. Nobody talked me into it dumb runs in my family. See you in Raleigh. Is Stanley H. coming with you? - Tim

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When I started this amazing story....

....I never realized all the twists, turns, and moments forgotten in time that could turn up.

Denny, the only pic I have of you in HOOKIN' BULL is that one. I didn't crop it and there are no pit shots. So I don't know what motor is hanging on the transom. Since you ended up running that 4 pipe Yamato on BT22 I am guessing there was a problem with the setup on HOOKIN' BULL.

We didn't use Konig tower housings. Tim's boats were designed for cornering and that meant low center of gravity. Tim steered us to the Leavandusky's tower housings and we also used their steering bars. That was as tight and low as you could get. The tower housings were 10". I remember the Yamato as well as Konig tower housings were much taller. So it may be that the transom of HOOKIN' BULL was too short for a quick set up for racing.

I say this because you didn't have an entry in 350 hydro and you're number in 250 hydro was X. The traditional number of a newly delivered boat at it's inauguaral start. (I think Sam had some stats on the X No.) You built your own, so I guess you had a new boat, untested....no 350....and you wanted to race on good clean water.

Craig Lawrence ended up winning both heats of 250 hydro and you behind Billy Davis after jumping the gun in heat 2. You and Johnny Dortch were a little early.

But in the 500 hydro race we are referring too, you ended up third overall. Charlie Bailey won both heats. I jumped the gun in heat 1 with 6 others and DNF heat 2. You ended up 2nd in heat 1, outrunning Artie Lund. That was the heat to watch. You were one of the many DNF's in heat two.

Here is probably the 500 cc Yamato 4 pipe you had hanging off of Benny Aylor's BT22. This was in the background of the pic of Jim McKean starting to test TEXAS TORNADO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 10' 6" Sid Craft

Tim Chance... you ran a four carb Konig "D" on a 10' 6" Sid Craft??? I ran my Quincy "A" on an 11' Sid...and Harry Bartolomei's 4 carb on his 13' Schultz, and that was a handful.....Won a heat at DePue and ran out of fuel the other...

Ted May ran a 4 carb C Konig on his 10'6" May Craft, Sid copy, at 97 mph for a UIM KILO record....

I just can't even imagine trying that four carb "D"... Lucky you aren't still up in the trees somewhere....Scares me thinking about it...

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10' 6" Sid

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Chance
    Denny - It all comes back when you have to use your memory. I ran a 4-carb D Konig on a 10-6 Sid Craft. Nobody talked me into it dumb runs in my family. See you in Raleigh. Is Stanley H. coming with you? - Tim
    The 10' 6" Sid was a 'C stock Hydro/ A alky boat". You must be good Tim to have kept it safely on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T
    The 10' 6" Sid was a 'C stock Hydro/ A alky boat". You must be good Tim to have kept it safely on the water.
    That Sid Craft actually started out life as John Wood's D Mod boat, then went to Dale Kaus and he ran A and B Loopers on it. When I got it I ran a C Alky deflector and a B Loop on it. Then the first time I ever ran the 4-carb D I ran it on that boat. Got to the first turn first and won the heat. The motor came from Billy Hulgan and Dub Parker had blown it up at the NOA World Championships in Midland. Walt welded it back up and I bought it from Billy. I ran that motor on an 11-8 Sid one time and it was a more scary ride than the 10-6. I did,however, get a full size Marchetti for it before that season was over.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going the opposite way. I had an A Konig, one of the two fixed pipe models, on an 11-4 Sid at Knoxville and Bob Hering asked me why I was running such a big boat. "It's the only one I have.", was my reply.

Those 4 carb Konigs with the short megaphone pipes were really cool sounding motors. Tim, I bet you made sure you were pointed in the right direction before you punched it. How many guys to you think you beat because they were afraid to get close? LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, when I ran that thing on that little boat. I got on it coming up for the start and it kind of cocked the boat a little sideways like the bow handle was pointed somewhere between 10:00 & 11:00 o'clock. When I got to the corner I backed off a little and it went around the corner all by itself. Another time the judges missed the multiple sign-in sheets and then did nothing when too many boats came out. I got to the first turn first and it kind of had its own mind and hooked around the 1st pin and about 15 boats passed me I straightened out and looked back and there was about 15 more still coming. My memory stops there. Terror I think. Funny thing about that motor; it would only run on Bosch plugs. Campion or AC and it would load up every time. When it became obsolete I gave it away. I wish I still had it - just to listen to it run with those little pipes. Although I finally had put expansion chambers on it. And I had one of those first A's with the long fixed pipes. I had like a Swift Big Bee or something, not nearly enough boat and borrowed an 11-4. I was about 120 lbs then and the boat packed so much air I was afraid of it.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sid-Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Chance
    That Sid Craft actually started out life as John Wood's D Mod boat, then went to Dale Kaus and he ran A and B Loopers on it. When I got it I ran a C Alky deflector and a B Loop on it. Then the first time I ever ran the 4-carb D I ran it on that boat. Got to the first turn first and won the heat. The motor came from Billy Hulgan and Dub Parker had blown it up at the NOA World Championships in Midland. Walt welded it back up and I bought it from Billy. I ran that motor on an 11-8 Sid one time and it was a more scary ride than the 10-6. I did,however, get a full size Marchetti for it before that season was over.
    Tim, now that you said that boat came from John Woods, I believe that it was a 10' 8" "C stock D stock", if it was the early 60's. I believe it was my boat as John had purchased mine after the 1961 season when I moved up from C Stock to D stock. That is when Sid began making separate C & D boats. Was there any evidence of a name on the side decks? Maybe "Sleepy Time Gal (# something)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T
    Tim, now that you said that boat came from John Woods, I believe that it was a 10' 8" "C stock D stock", if it was the early 60's. I believe it was my boat as John had purchased mine after the 1961 season when I moved up from C Stock to D stock. That is when Sid began making separate C & D boats. Was there any evidence of a name on the side decks? Maybe "Sleepy Time Gal (# something)?
    John - I got the boat in the mid to late '60's. I think I got my Marchetti (12' not 12-2) from Armand Hebert in '68 and I had that Sid for at least a year or two before that. We all called it a 10-6 I don't know if anybody ever measured it. It could have been 10-8. One thing for sure it was a totally different boat from the 10-6 B/C Alky Sid. As this boat had a much wider bottom. I think the first time Dale ran the boat it did have lettering on it and still had John's number (Y-100???), But the Kaus' totally refinished the boat and when I got it there was nothing else on it. But my guess is that it was originally your boat. I sold it to a schoolteacher named Kenny Peterson and he had a series of kids drive it with an old 2-cyl Konig deflector.

Post Thanks / Like

What strange twists and turns. Cool to learn the path of John's old Sid. Would be good if John Woods would come on and add to the story.

Well....back to it.

We did a lot of testing prior to the UIM World Championships at Phoenix held February 20-22, 1976. I already told of some of the troubles we had, and how we didn't know we found the cure until we actually put the boat on the water at Firebird Lake. I also told about the race. But prior to the race we were also playing around with the pipes. We tried different stinger combinations and at Phoenix Jack had to modify them a little more.

Here are pipe dimensions on our previous D No. 6995 and those of Marshall Grant's original D pipes. Then there are the dimensions of the various stingers we tried. And some of the motor corrections we made along with a test sheet prior to the race at Phoenix.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thread Information