Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David. It seems from one year to the next the records really came up. But even though we ran mostly on 1 1/4 mile courses, none of them were surveyed. The two primary surveyed courses of Lakeland and Yelm were both 1 2/3. While ours was the first outboard to break 80 on a 1 1/4 mile course it didn't go into the books because Jerry Kirts broke it shortly after that in Alexandria.

Speaking of Yelm I found another tidbit of lost information. Since I lost my notes I don't really know what happened exactly at Yelm in 1976. But today I came across an old "Shaft" that my Dad used to publish that said the "other motors broke a driveshaft and a prop shaft while we were just under the records." That would have been the C and D. Don't know which broke what. But we turned a 98 mph average on the last lap of 1100 hydro.

David_L6

Wayne,

I've had some Aerowings and I know how they ran, but don't you think you were just a tad too high in this picture? http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...1&d=1159720808

Post Thanks / Like

No!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some things change, some things stay the same...

You can really see from Wayne's photos how much different the water level is now - tough to get the 1 2/3 course in except for Spring. The shoreline is still familiar, but there are so many more houses now.

But now, as then, there is still Mt. Rainier in the background, a crowd at the end of the dock (new dock), and Bob Wartinger on the course chasing a record.

I always get better shots from a kicker boat - I miss some towing somebody in, but if I have to hold near the pits, I get a chance at the second photo (2003). The third photo is something old/new taken by my wife. Young Aaron Peterson has just set a record. My nephew Ryan is holding him and the red signal flag, and that's Tom O'Neill (still bleeds alky) holding the end of the flag. That's one of the better shots I have of Wart (2002), but I need a better scan of it. He set a record on that run.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is David

Looking forward to the pics Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't believe it Mike....

....Where did all those fines trees go. This is from the pier looking back to the left where all that asphalt is. The pits were more like a rough it campsite back then. I remember it was a very wooded trip to get to Lake Lawrence in 1976. It was in the tules. How long have records been set there?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Maybe this is David

Looking forward to the pics Mike.
    Wayne,

That set-up looks..... um...... interesting

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Dave....

.....all I can say is that I'm glad I had eight hours of flying lessons before I quit to start racing boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up pic

Wayne, that picture is awesome! Sure is convincing evidence that the Aerowing is the only way to fly. I bet looking at that can put your mindset right back in the boat and feel it like it was yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It can make your heart pump a little faster Mark

You're right. Looking at it brings back a lot of memories and the feeling of going as fast as you can without loosing it. If I remember right, the best I could get out of it that day was 108. We got one two way run, but it was too close to the edge to pull the pipes any more. Tim made his run, but lost fuel pressure on the return leg. He was able to go back out after he increased tension on the checkvalve bypass spring. I think he had a pass around 114 or 116 but blew over on the return. He is going to send me a sequence of that. This was on the Brazos River in Texas.

Thread Information