Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Oldalkydriver. We do have Outlook Express and I never had a bit of problem with Direcway, but this Hughes outfit (probably the same ones that sold interballistic missle technology to the Chinese) makes you have to think too hard. I've also got a draft E mail laying around somewhere that I can't find. It's there but it won't come out of hiding.

We're stuck with the satelitte mode because we have no cable & we won't go back to the phone lines. Debbie's E mail account worked after we were able to contact the Hughes people. They make you E mail them to make contact. I still don't know how she found them. Anyway it was almost two hours to make mine recieve. I will try what you said, but I am afraid there might be some screwworms imbedded.

Hey, how about some more pictures from the Phillipines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default a few photos of that sandy little point......

....that Dan M was talking about.

Some of us got there early and had a wonderful time rigging up, testing, and talking some bull. Of course my Dad and Tim were there early as part of our Hydroplanes International organization that was responsible for bringing the OD World Championships to Dayton.

There was plenty of sun, the water was good and Bill Van decided he needed to make a trip to town for some eats and drinks, and maybe some sun tan lotion. He asked me if I needed anything and I said, "Yeah.........bring some Gatorade." More about this later, so remember it.

Tim's pit crew had not yet arrived, nor the foreign teams on our first day of testing. Rex Hall got a little bit of a$$ chewing from my Dad when he went out testing about dusk My Dad didn't want to jeapordize anything we had been working toward, especially with the Dayton Hydroglobe organization and insurance implications. But everything otherwise was great.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Jack Chance scoping out the Kirts' rebuilding their Konig. I know I should be able to put a name to the guy talking to my Dad, but I'm drawing a blank. Ralph you know all the people in this last picture, except maybe you forgot who the girl is. How about naming them for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recognize a Couple Boats

P-5 is Dwight McClellan from the Pittsburgh area, a great guy who raced with his brother Dennis for years an years (also with Joe Conzalo (SP) and later Tim Borway. Behind is Don Wood's trailer. I believe that Don may have won a nationals or two in D Alky. I remember that we rarely saw in him, but that he always ran well when he came to race.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver
    P-5 is Dwight McClellan from the Pittsburgh area, a great guy who raced with his brother Dennis for years an years (also with Joe Conzalo (SP) and later Tim Borway. Behind is Don Wood's trailer. I believe that Don may have won a nationals or two in D Alky. I remember that we rarely saw in him, but that he always ran well when he came to race.
    The guy working on the boat is Dennis McClellan of "Razorback Racing" fame
    and the bearded dude beside Dennis is his son, Dennis Jr. I sent a copy of
    the picture to Dennis's other son David who raced 500cch and also CSH
    and he filled me in on who the other person in the picture was. If I'm not
    mistaken, Don Wood's family had a marine dealership in Fairmont W.Va. and
    had some top notch equipment......didn't make too many races in this area
    either but always was a front runner when he did show up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks David and Ron

That is the first race I remember the McClellans and Don Wood. Maybe they were at Hinton at the nationals in '77, but I never made it all the way down the pits.

Here at Dayton, I had the rare opportunity of getting some action pics from a boat instead of being stuck in the pits. While it wasn't the heated action of a race, it was a good chance to get some shots from some other angles.

Post Thanks / Like

H-1 Dan Kirts
    H-2 Jerry Kirts........This is the rig he won the John Ward 500cc World Championships with.

This threat is great!!

In the 1st pic, it shows Dan just exiting a turn throttling with two fingers, and pulling the pipes with two more. --OUTSTANDING PICS WAYNE!--

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great pics Wayne

F-4 David Westbrook. The pics of the Kirts are REALLY good. The way the background seems to melt and the boats are focused were great.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimmie Nichols

Saw Jimmie Nichols sitting in his boat with my oldest brother standing to the right. He must have been about 14 yrs old then. I had to take a double take to make sure it was him. The next picture shows my dad walking on the bank and his Butts on boat stands. I believe that Jimmie passed away not too long ago. I could be wrong though. He had a diner kansas city that just closed a couple of months ago. He had lots of boat racing pictures on the walls. Thanks for the pictures Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimmy Nichols....

Doug, funny, I never met Jimmy Nichols. I sold him quite a few propellers. But Rod Zapf (AKA Capnzee on BRF) was a TWA pilot, and got around a lot. He met Jimmy on a trip once and bought a 650 Merc that Jimmy had made for a F. When Rod was picking up the motor, they called "LONG DISTANCE" and we talked about the motor...I only talked to him once....but last spring when Bill Boyes and I went to the Winter Nationals via IOWA, we went through Quincy, Illinois and saw both Jim and Jimmy Schock...Bill and I talked about finding Jimmy's diner in Kansas City....Sorry we missed our chance. Sorry to hear about Jimmy's passing....

Wayne if you ever put your pictures in book form, sign my up for several copies....I think I could look at your pictures forever....I think of all the raceds I raced in and only thing I have left is memories...YOU HAVE THE HISTORY....As they said about Ritchie Valen's first record...FAN TAS TIC....is the only way to describe your pictures....I like your writing too....but your pictures a PURE ART!!!!

Thanks...Keep posting....

Thread Information