Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it took so long..heh heh.

Reminds me of an elegantly dressed lady about in her mid 70's at the Unlimited Commission meeting at Portland, Oregon in 1978. Bill Muncey was standing on a chair addressing the commission when she stood up. She said "Young man....faster is not always better!"

What a sweet sound. A screaming 44 bouncing off the walls of every house in all directions. Bet some dogs enjoyed it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    There were three packages. The first three came Thursday. Carbs, pipe bracket, elbows, tower housing etc. After I signed the receipt I ripped the package open and Yes. there was my old motor.
    Just wondering........No unit?? No pipes?? Hope "etc." means you got the unit and the pipes too!

Looks like you have at least one 48mm carb there as well!

MORE PICS PLEASE!!

BTW--Your Dad would be doing backflips right now with the news!!
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 07-29-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I need to call Marshall Grant and find out what the deal was with that weird serial number.
    I saw some weird numbers in my day too. VB 1, and VB6900 come to mind. Both were Team engines purchaced from the Germans when they came to this side of the pond for a Worlds.
    I bet Marshall bought it right from Dieter and it was a Team engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Jeff--I figure Marshall is the clue to the numbers. I don't necessarily think it was a team engine. My guess is that it is something Dieter put together for Marshall. Joe has spent a lot of time talking with Marshall over the years and he told Joe that whenever they were touring in the vicinity and Marshall got a chance he would go to see Dieter. I'll call Marshall next week to find some answers.

No, I didn't the the lower unit or pipes. Pipes may take up too much room, but if anyone out there has a lower unit, I would be interested. Ray Yates has offered up one of Charlie Bailey's "C" prop to hang on it. If Charlie wants it back he has to become a BRF member and tell me or Ray .

There are two 48mm carbs as well as the 40's that came with it. Interestingly there was only a standard Konig rotary valve. We were running Zak rotary valves with varying leading and trailing edges that were far different in degrees of timing than the Konig. It also did not have the rotary valve gear and set up that we ran. One of the few things I had left was one of those, so I don't know if we replaced it before we sold it or what. It had some tricks that Ray Hardy invented, so maybe we kept that after all.

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard what happened to my Butts laydown "Vibora de Cascabel" (rattlesnake). Did your brother ever drive it?
    I asked him some time ago if he had driven a Butts, he said Harry had one that he got to drive...I remember him saying it was the best handling boat hed ever driven... not sure if that was your old boat or not...I think he's got some pictures of it.. I'll see if I can get over to his place sometime next week and get the photo's for ya
    Last edited by Jeff Akers; 07-30-2006 at 07:09 AM.
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to it Jeff. The last two years I raced, we were down to D and F only. We quit 250 hydro after 76, 350 after 78, and 500 hydro after 79. Jack Chance didn't have time to keep up with everything and with the oilfield catching fire, neither did I. I craved the speed and power so we chose to run the big classes. Plus in our move to promote UIM racing over here, we were more likely to get the 700cc and 1100cc World Championship events in the U.S. So the only two boats we had left when we sold to Harry were "Vibora de Cascabel", the laydown, and "Shadowfax", Tim's first experiment with two 45 degree wings on the transom. Both were excellent handling boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Swell story!

Glad you got all your boxes, old Tubby was pleased to send the old girl home to you. I had the stuff hid out so well I couldn't even find it for some time but that was good since what would Uncle Sam do with a vintage Konig. Wayne it made my day when I read this story and realized old fatty got to play a part in it. Tally-Ho from Tubby

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tubby. Your part added lots of drama to the story. Welcome to BRF. When I found the note from Michael packed in one of the boxes, I was wondering...did you ever get the motor put together and race it?

BTW, while I was looking for your website I found some great cartoons of a rattlesnake. Was that your brother Bill that did those?

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Chance and I picked up that motor on the way to the Eastern Divisionals in Gadsden, Alabama in June of 1974. We got that "D" and Marshall Grant's dual rotary valve "F" Konig. From the very first test sheets we had ignition problems with that D. I don't recall racing it at DePue or the final race of the year at our house as we had another D. We did a lot of testing from December through February prior to the OD World Championships, and the common thread was always surging at high rpm. We finally ran out of test time and had to pack up to leave.

We rented an-out-of -the-box Konig from Jim McKean, but that Grant motor was quicker and better accelerating even with its surge. Marshall later told me that he never could cure it, but it still won races for him. After trying everything we could think of we decided to put Jim's stator plate and all ignition components on the Grant Konig. I made a pass down the backstraight and the Keller showed 107 less than halfway down the course and the pipes not all the way up. I pulled into the pits and said "Put it on the stands, it's ready".

After we got home, on very close inspection we found that the brass post that the points swiveled on was drilled and tapped very slightly out of alignment. We ran an extra spring on our points to keep them from floating at high rpm's and the tension seemed plenty good when we set the timing. At home I tighted the points on the crooked post and the tension was much weaker. Loosen the screw and the tension was back. There was the problem. That one set of points was floating at more 9,500 rpms. We never thought to check tension after the points were set and tightened.

Another thing about that engine that I never had happen before was that I lost the front pipe on the back straight in lap two (I think). I had a good lead and when the pipe fell off Rex Hall knew for sure he would take over 1st place. I thought so too, but that motor never even slowed down. It maintained good acceleration too. Doug...ask your Dad if he remembers that. Rex chased me to the finish but he never caught up.

Here is one of the test sheets showing some of the difficulities before the race. We spent so much time testing that motor that we only spent part of a day on the others. The photo is the Grant Konig on an unnamed boat that later became "Quien Sabe". It was only sealed then and did not have our colors yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default About your motor.

Hello, Tubby back at ya-
    We never ran that motor, bought it from Michael Lopez after he bought a bunch of Harry B's Konig stuff. Jason and I were so busy in developing our version of the four carb 850's that I never got around to building that project- thus it was sitting in a box for many years. I got tired of breaking gear cases with the big old 4 carb merc and was going to get started on this project when- I got sick.
    As kindly old Uncle Sam was relieving me of everything I owned, that motor was some of the stuff that found new homes in my race trailer and storage. Yep, funny how right in my worst run of health and finances, I thought to protect my racing stuff and then I took off and strapped on a race boat. Tubby found the cure, when you are circling the bowl- go racing. Tally-Ho my friend if I get to Texas do I get pizza? Tubby

Thread Information