Thread: An Amazing Story

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that 8-cyl. Yamato at Constantine. Joe wasn't even allowed to put it in the water as whoever was the inspector (Zak, Mel Kirts, Clyde Queen??, I don't remember) felt that because of the high center of gravity and the method of fabrication that it was unsafe.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Constantine before the Nationals Tim? I didn't know Joe took it someplace else. Or was it at Constantine that Tim refused to drive it, thus got canned from driving there? I know Tim always went there.

BTW Tim. Look for upcoming pit shots. You were pitted just to our left.

And Jeff. I could remember Doug's number. It was Glenn, No. 41 that was pitted a couple of boats to the right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    And Jeff. I could remember Doug's number. It was Glenn, No. 41 that was pitted a couple of boats to the right.
    Cool!

Glen was a pig farmer who loved speed on water just like we all did. I remember him having 3 boats, all C's......A Shultze conventional, a Yale he got from the Happy Valley boys, and a full tunnel he built himself that was pretty quick. He used to run with us until that style of boat was banned.

Which did he have there, you remember?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll show you in the next post which will be the pit shots on either side, plus some bull sessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Was Constantine before the Nationals Tim? I didn't know Joe took it someplace else. Or was it at Constantine that Tim refused to drive it, thus got canned from driving there? I know Tim always went there.

BTW Tim. Look for upcoming pit shots. You were pitted just to our left.

O.K. I just Googled "When did Elvis die". Answer August 16, 1977. So I know I was in Hinton on that date. Constantine has always been in July, so yes, that motor was at a race before the Nationals. But did not run. I can't remember Tim's part in it at Constantine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll have to ask Tim Butts...

...but I'll bet that's where Tim told Joe he wouldn't race that boat at the nationals, because Tim came to Hinton without any intention to race anything.

Hey Roy, I missed your earlier post about the fish eye and I agree. But the way the motor would have looked hanging on that transom would have made it a moot point. I don't think anyone would step up to crank it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

I think your Dad would have been the only one who could have roped it. It wouldn't dare mess with him.....

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Michelini Yamato

Wayne,

I have lot's of memorys of Hinton in '77 that I will share as I get the time. Some things I remember well and others I have no memory of at all. Probably because Hinton was where Nycea Aylor introduced me to Godzilla Juice. It was a sort of bloody mary with lots of Vodka and hot sause. One thing I do remember for sure is that the Michelini engine was two 350cc Yamato powerheads, not 500's. And it was the coupler between the powerheads that broke almost immediately after launching. I also remember thinking how rediculous the engine was. There was no way to have turned the boat safely, just too much weight too high above the transom. It sure was interesting, like so many other things at that race. More later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default More to come to be sure......

.....remember I was still on my honeymoon & it wasn't Nyceas's godzilla juice to distract me but I always thought it was two 500's. Now thinking about that....it kind of makes me think Joe wanted to run that at Dayton rather than Tims' Ron Anderson Konig.

I need to call Tim & ask some questions. Thanks Denny. Joe had some comments about that today as well. Help us out as we try to piece this story together. If you can get Jim and/or Sean McKean to come on here it would be greaat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The twin 350's

I have clear memory of Jim McKean pulling that engine over. And it did not get far...

Thread Information