Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice avatar

...& is that Jason riding deck? Whoever it is looks like he's really into the ride.

Yeah Tubby, when you get to Texas we'll have homemade pizza. Just let me know what toppings you want. Also Tex Mex. After that you'll never be satisfied with any other kind of Mexican food.

I kind of had the idea when I found that note from Michael that you hadn't run the motor. That really adds to the streak of luck because a lot of people who had something like that sitting around in storage for a long time might have just junked it. My thanks to you.

Finally---I've seen a lot of fine looking restorations on BRF. Any hints from you restorers on how to clean up the block without dissassembling everything? What about Armour All on the plastic and rubber parts?

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne.........I recently got a 700cc Konig in the same condition. Crank, rotary valve and l/unit stuck TIGHT
    I took it to a local engine rebuilder and had him put it all (except coils and condensers) into his hot tank for a few hours. I gave him a couple of gallons of Klotz / Alky mix to run through it after it cooled to flush out the tank mix. The engine came back castor free and I was able to take it apart and rebuild it.

As for the rust on the elbows, pipes and tower, I used a water based cleaning solution that sizzled as it attacked and neutralized the rust. Can't remember the name of the stuff, but remember it smelled like rotton eggs (or was that me? ) Then emery cloth and elbow grease did the rest.

As for the pitting and staining on the block, I used a superfine emery and steel wool--------It worked really well.

Ed thirlby will still have the hard to find bearings and stuff if you need them. He should have pipes and a pooched unit as well if you're just going to hang it on the wall.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff. May have been some kind of sulfuric acid base. It will throw off H2S that smells like rotten eggs. The motor is free. It had a slight hang, but I was rotating it with all the holes filled with stuffing, so a piston was probably catching that in an exhaust port. One of the heads had no nuts on the studs and a quick inspection of the pistons and cylinders on that end looked good. The steel wool and emery cloth should work great on the tower housing, but seems like a lot of polishing on a casting. First I want to try something a little less time consuming. & a pooched unit is just what I need.

Tubby, or anyone else. Do you know how to get ahold of Michael Lopez? Are these numbers still good. I just want to see if he has any other stories to add regarding this motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Tape up the milled/polished surfaces and give it a light soda or media blast then.
    Don't suggest silca for obvious reasons. That should cut the emery/steel wool time to a minimum, and save your fingertips as well.

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Thanks Jeff. May have been some kind of sulfuric acid base. It will throw off H2S that smells like rotten eggs. The motor is free. It had a slight hang, but I was rotating it with all the holes filled with stuffing, so a piston was probably catching that in an exhaust port. One of the heads had no nuts on the studs and a quick inspection of the pistons and cylinders on that end looked good. The steel wool and emery cloth should work great on the tower housing, but seems like a lot of polishing on a casting. First I want to try something a little less time consuming. & a pooched unit is just what I need.

Tubby, or anyone else. Do you know how to get ahold of Michael Lopez? Are these numbers still good. I just want to see if he has any other stories to add regarding this motor.
    I send you a private msg on Mike Lopez contact number.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill, I got it. I sent a pm back to you but my box was full and I don't know if it made it out the door. I will try to call Michael tonight.

In the meantime I talked to Marshall Grant this morning and this is what he told me.

The motor D41994 was built for him. He didn't keep records of the motor or numbers and he doesn't know why that number was stamped on it, nor had any clue to the meaning. I don't think Dieter ever did anything randomly. The numbers mean something, but unless Peter Konig or someone else in Dieter's family can give us a clue, I guess we'll never know.

Anyway, Marshall picked up the motor in Berlin in pieces in 1970. The Johnny Cash Show was going very strong then, and Marshall was going to be in Europe and wanted to get a new D Konig with certain parameters he wanted. He got Dieter's phone number from Scott Smith and phoned up Dieter to give him the list. First he wanted the block to be square and the sleeves line bored true. Then Marshall wanted identical pistons with wrist pins bored square and the pistons fit properly. Most importantly, he wanted the crank to be 100% true and perfect. Marshall considered the crankshaft to be the heart of a superior racing engine. Essentially he wanted the basics of a blueprinted engine. Off the shelf, Konigs were pretty good, but Marshall wanted one with all major components squared off and perfectly in line.

What Dieter did was to do all the pressing, machining and measuring himself. So when Marshall got there all the parts of the engine were laid out on a table. They went through each piece and when Marshall was satisfied that Dieter had gotten him what he wanted, he took everything back to his shop in Tennesse where he assembled it.

Marshall told me that the engine always ran very strong, but sometimes it would begin to flutter the last 1000 rpm's. One time at Lakeland the brass post that one set of points swiveled on came loose and he had to retighten it. That was the same one that gave us fits. Billy Seebold won numerous hydro and runabout races with the motor from 1970 through 1972 when he moved to OPC.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:

I had an old boat of mine come back to me some 20 years later, cool feeling driving the old gal again.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...hread.php?t=81

Post Thanks / Like

That was a good series of posts Jeff. If those boats could tell a tale about the drivers they had, imagine how great that would be to sit around and listen to. I am so amazed at how people are able to track down these old treasures. One of those great success stories is Kenny Kitson resurrecting his Switzer Wing "El Diablo".

Post Thanks / Like

At first Marshall didn't exactly remember the year he got the motor, then he recalled it was when Carl Perkins was pitting for him at Alexandria. He said "It was 1970. The TV show was going, and Carl was pitting for me. We won both qualifying heats". Those were D hydro and D runabout. Billy Seebold went on to win the NOA World Championships in those events as well. He repeated in 1971 winning both classes at Alexandria, but Marshall didn't show in 1972 or 1973. The following year, the motor was ours.

I haven't found all the info yet on APBA 1970-74.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 700 konig

Wayne, I talked to my brother this week about the 700 and he said he ran one about a half dozen times on one of Harry's Italian"Popeally"(sp)? boats...He's got some good video of it ....He also said that he never paid a whole lot of atention to the engine #'s and stuff. he was just a young kid wanting to win every thing at WFO! He wished he piad more atention now Not sure who ended up with Harry's stuff.

The info I gave you on the Butt's was wrong "sorry"...The butt's he drove wasn't Harrys It was Tom Gouldstone's witch Tom had bought from one of the Biagio's(sp) from J&G marine in Napa. My brother said he thought Biagio bouhgt it at the pro nat's in the mid 80's?

Tom striped all the paint and re finnished the boat the way you see it in the photo's... my brother drove this boat in the 88 season for Tom with a 500 on it.. he still get's upset talking about it cause Tom would't let him run it with Tom's "good" 700.. He did say it was by far the best boat he had ever driven!

Sorry I cant be of more help..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Jeff 93-C

Thread Information