Thread: An Amazing Story

Composite Specialties

Default Mal

Yes, that was the pic I was talking about a while back. That is Mal swimming to the shore to his pits as Tom was directing him from the shore line. Man was Tom Harden mad that day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post

Here's a pic Mal's hydro that made Tom so mad. It must have been the second heat of 500 hydro. The first heat my throttle stuck wide open setting up for turn three. It was a little spooky as I had never experienced that before. It took several seconds to get it to back off. Not knowing what was going on, I didn't trust it enough to continue racing so I returned to the pits. I didn't go out the second heat, so that's when I took this pic.
    Just so everyone knows........Mal's boat is the one with the pickles sticking out of the water!!

The boat passing by is driven by Dan Kirts.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Jeff....

.....here's one for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'll be..................

I'll have to try to get in touch with Glen to tell him about this site, and your fabulous pics.

Glen's rig, a Shultze he named Honeycomb, was the 1st 4 banger Konig I ever saw race, and finish when I was a kid. I had seen them b4, but they always had problems and failed to finish. That was around 1973ish.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Glen!

So cool----Speaking about racing and memories we had back in the racing days. Memories like that shared with someone else who was there seem like it happened just yesterday, yet in reality, it was over 20 years ago.

I told him about how this thread has turned it's attention to the race in Hinton, and how you have posted pics. Expect him to register and log on soon. He even told me some stuff about conversations he had with Baldy

I'll leave that up to him to explain.

Welcome to BRF Glen!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking forward to it.

I'm having trouble getting lighting and contrast correct between my computer and BRF. They had been gaining contrast, now this one darkened up. Here's a test.

Some down time at Hinton while the rain washes the pits down, and somebody had more motor troubles than they thought.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd one is still too dark. That's better. I overshot the brightness to see what would happen.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, thanks for the pictures from Hinton, I'll have to check to see if I have pictures as well.

This is a mental file that I have not been into in some time. The last power boat race I was at was in Littleton, New Hampshire, September 1984. Ed Desaire from Utica, New York came over top of me and dislocated my hip. A short time later a fellow came by and bought all my equipment.

I rember pitting beside the Master Oil Team, and Baldy commenting on my breakfast culinary skills. "Burn it and Scrape it!!" he would say . Sadly I no longer have my Master Oil T-shirt as I traded it to some Frenchman at the UIM World Championship in Dayton, Ohio the following year. I still Have the Circle Motonautique - Paris shirt which I got in return.

The #41 Schulze hydro was actually a "B" boat which I ran in "C", a wee tad on the small side for courses like Hinton, but really good in rough water that we usually had in Ogdensburg or Tonawanda. The boat had been imported into Canada in 1968 from Austria by Jim Bell if I remember correctly. The engine was VC73319 and was one of the few engines that Ric Hall had brought directly to Canada from Germany and not through Scott Smith.

George Andrews Sr. I believe was the tech inspector at this race and thought that the boat was one that he had built. The boats that he had built to a great degree were Schulze copies and he was suprised to see an original. I think that I ended up 5th overall, having a DNF due to a wire break from the battery in the first heat and a 3rd in the second heat of the finals.

Was a great regatta in a great location.

Glenn Coates

Post Thanks / Like

Say Glenn..................Did you make it through all 40+ pages of the amazing story yet?? Every time I check who's online........You're still there!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Glenn!

Jeff--I can remember when I first started this thread you and David L-6 were running back and forth from your other projects to get through and it was not even two pages long yet.

Hey Glenn--welcome. I'm trying to figure out the scenario in which he might say something like that. Maybe toast? Or, I doubt you had cabrito. You could cook it quickly over a hot fire real close then scrape off the charcoaled bits. You must have clicked something in his brain.

Since I have been posting here I have come across letters from many old racing friends. Among them are some from you. I look forward to your posts.

Thread Information