Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All good information is helpful Jeff....

....even if it's not what you thought at first, it could keep you away from a dead end. Nice looking boat, & good job of refinishing. Looks like a little too much fin though unless it's a long straight with tight turns.

Turned out I gave some bad information myself. I had thought I did a kilo record and a competition record with 41994 in the same year. That was my goal, but it didn't happen. The competition record I set in 1976 was also with a Marshall Grant motor, but it was the double rotary valve "F". I have to spend a little time getting all of this straight because I lost some notes and my files are all scattered.

Marshall didn't keep notes on serial numbers and I don't think many people do. I did through part of my racing career and quit toward the end, but I would never remember a number in the wee hours of the morning from any other motor we had unless it was the "Donald Duck" motor. The fact that the number was so unusual and that we spent more than six weeks trying to figure out how to correct this perplexing high speed miss must have ingrained that number in my brain from writing up so many test sheets.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally had a little break yesterday and examined my motor a little more closely. Took the stuffing out of the ports and the heads off. It turns as easily as if Jack Chance had overhauled it last week. Crank looks good. Pistons all good, and the rings are free. Doesn't appear to be much time on the cylinders since the last rework. There was some shrapnel hits on no. 3 and no. 4 cylinder heads--more on 4. One 2-3mm scrape on No. 4 cylinder liner that a hone couldn't take out, but for a 36 year old racing motor, it looks in good shape. In fact it looks so good internally that I believe with new electrical components and a tank full of fresh fuel, it would fire right up.

Found the rest of the APBA results from the time Billy Seebold ran this motor for Marshall. Billy and Dan Kirts dueled back and forth in D hydro and Billy ended up with 2nd overall in 1970. Billy finished third in D runabout. In 1971 Billy again finished 3rd overall in D runabout, but I could find nothing on D hydro. He was not in the top three. Billy won his qualifying heat for D hydro in 1972, but something happened and he doesn't show up on the top three for the finals. He did win the nationals in D runabout this time though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a thought............

I know you said you were going to display this engine, but just in case you get the urge to hear that sound and smell the castor..............

Does it have retainers w/loose needles on the wrist pin end or caged needles?
    If option #1, change the retainers and spacers!! (If not all the bearings top to bottom.) The only tough one to get might be the split center one, but I'm sure there are still some around.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can appreciate your thinking Jeff....

....but this ol' girl has come home to rest on a red wall. If I cranked her up and tore out a chunk, I would have lost some of the magic.

It's not the old style crank, and short of tearing it down where I can get a peak at the pistons from the backside, I'm saying they are the caged needle bearings. As I turned the motor there were no slight tight spots, stickiness or anything that felt like the bearings were bad or gummed up.

However, the bearings for the rotary valve belt are another story. They look like the same ones I last laid eyes on. They need to be injected with that purple stuff people take to loosen up their joints. But I am glad to have them as all they need to do now is provide tension for a replacement belt. I will have to find one of those. The one that came with the motor would only come down halfway down the top carb. BTW, what plugs do people use now. Are AC M40ffg's still around? I have no plugs either.

So I guess the plan is to get an incense pot. Fill it with a 20:1 methanol/castor oil mix. Light it off. Pop a top. And sit back listening to the Marshall Tucker Band while looking at the motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    So I guess the plan is to get an incense pot. Fill it with a 20:1 methanol/castor oil mix. Light it off. Pop a top. And sit back listening to the Marshall Tucker Band while looking at the motor.

Now That would be awsome....LOL
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marshall Grant

Wayne ,I think the Tennessee Three album would be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe me Joe the Tennessee Three and Johnny Cash get a lot of play here. Especially when I'm hanging something on the wall or filing old boat racing files. And I use the Tennessee flag that Marshall gave my Dad to cover my recorder. It, and the Texas flag match the color scheme.

But....it happens that a certain Marshall Tucker album I associate with that motor after we first acquired it. I guess if I gave her a name, I would call her "Dee".

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default johnny Cash

I remember seeing a picture of a stock D U runnabout on the cover of a boat racing magazine , in late 50's or early
    6o's , with name "Ring of Fire " on the bow . Supposedly Johnny Cash liked boats and sponsored this one, some .

Post Thanks / Like

Roy, that was Marshall Grant's boat ... use the search feature for Marshall or Grant and you will learn all the details
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grants boat

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H
    Roy, that was Marshall Grant's boat ... use the search feature for Marshall or Grant and you will learn all the details
    O k, I had NO idea who owned the boat, i am lucky to even remember that cover. I just thought it was appropriate for a cover on a magazine . It must have been his song "ring of fire " . Come to think of it, i had been in a couple of boat races before that in 1957 -family ski(outboard) boats in RODEO,Calif.

Thread Information