Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Sam said, the search will lead you to some interesting information Roy. You'll also find a number of OPC guys with stories about Johnny Cash's drummer WS "Fluke" Holland who used to race OPC.

At the 1972 NOA World Championships, with Billy Seebold off racing tunnels in Europe, Marshall had Billy Hulgan driving his hydros and Jerry Simison his runabouts. While Billy Hulgan won both heats of F hydro with Marshall's double rotary valve Konig, he doesn't show up in the top 4 of D hydro. Have to presume some type of motor trouble.

However, Jerry Simision scored 2 seconds with the motor in D runabout. Unfortunately, the guy he trailed in both heats was the same one, so he finished second overall.

For those who don't know, the first pic is Billy Hulgan, second Jerry Simison and third is Jerry and his crew with Marshall Grant looking at something on the motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by jrome
    Wayne ,I think the Tennessee Three album would be better.
    Who's the bass player in this song?

http://members.cox.net/jlharmon3/digmeup.wav

Post Thanks / Like

You got me on that one David

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "mazin story "

Please tell me about these "double Rotary Valve Konigs". Don't think i ever saw one . The konigs I saw seemed to have one large disc in front , instead of reed valves . it seemed here in calif. , that , if you're not RICH , don't even think about a konig .

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've only seen one myself Roy...

...and this is it. VF7023. It was acquired from Marshall Grant at the same time as the D motor. There is quite a history behind it also and like the D, it went to Harry Bartolomei, so at one time it was in California. Don't know where it is now.

Marshall brought some of the first, if not the first, square block Konigs to the U.S. As far as I know the first square blocks were built in 1970, or maybe being cast in late 1969. Maybe Sam could help us here.

I don't know if any other double rotary valve konigs exist. This one has another rotary valve and set of carbs on the exhaust side. The block was cut away and this rotary valve was mounted offset, slightly higher (may correct after I see the photo) than the other rotary valve. This is because it runs the same exact belt as the front side rotary valve, but they run on the same gear--one belt above the other.

The primary problems costing a race were two. Blown lower unit and losing one rotary valve belt. Belt problems normally occurred when the motor was started. If it happened, it would be one belt popping. Once the motor was running, it was surprising how few belt problems there were.

As one pit man learned, don't look into the carb on the exhaust side when Jack squirted gas in the motor to start it. You could see clear through the motor on the carbs where the valve was open. If the gas didn't hit the crank, you would get a shot of gas in the eye.

As I research the D motor, info on the DRV F pops up so after I get down with this I may post some more stuff on the F. I keep finding things I forgot about. Here is a photo of the F. I was just looking at this pic to try to figure out which motor on the rack was the D.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that was the block Konig developed for use in motorcycles. On bikes it laid flat and had the normal intake side blocked off, running the rotary valve and exhaust both out of what became the the top of the engine. The same type block would be used for the 1000cc back to back dual 500cc Konig outboards
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default That's right Sam

What is the front side on an outboard is bolted down with some kind of gaskets and becomes part of extra water jacket. You can the the bosses molded into the block which can be tapped for the motorcyle engine. I just know don't know exactly the year they came out, but I believe it was 1970. I also think that perhaps D41994 was originally scheduled to be a motorcyle engine when Marshall asked Deiter to gather up the components for his new "D". That is the only thing I can come up with at the point for the strange serial number. The "D" motor I ran before we got Marshall's was a round block no. 6995.

Post Thanks / Like

This pic shows both sides of a square block.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wayne....Do you have any more pics taken in the factory?

Post Thanks / Like

beauxcoups (boo-coo) as Armand might say.

Thread Information