Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old and Slow

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old and Slow

Here is a photo of the start of BSR at the "puddle" in Los Angeles. This would have been in the mid 1950's I am in boat 393-C, great for a photo, but a lousy start wouldn't you say?

Ron Loomis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Ron: A DeSilva by the looks of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This race was at the Puddle...

Thisis either one of the Speedboat Rodeo Races or the Tommy Mitchell Regatta. Speedboat Rodeo was 26 weeks of TV racing. Tommy and his wife, Billie, were very active in the USA Boat Club (United Speedboat Club). Tommy passed away with cancer.

Why do I rememer stuff??? I don't know but 383-C is Ron Loomis. 120-C was Bobby Willard (Boby ran A,B,C and D runabout. He was from Oildale. He and his father came to all 26 weeks of TV racing. In those days us younger drivers had a "CLUB" called The Boat Racing Syndicate. Roy Willard, Bobby's dad was such a good guy to us younger guys made him a member. One time down at San Diego, he took a bunch of us kids to the amusement park....We rode the roller coaster about five time, Roy and me in the front seat. After that, anytime that he got the chance he'd tell people that he got to sit in the front seat of the rollercoaster with the President of the Boat Racing Syndicate (Of course, I was the President)....we never did much, play croquet when we weren't fooling around at the races...

108-C Mickey McCoy. His dad Carl, could weld a cyclinder heat in a Merc when they was completely blown out. The weld held too as a D Motor I had, that ran well...had a head welded by Carl McCoy. Bought that blowned 55-H from Walt Guadarian, a 75 year old man that lived in Blythe, and raced D hydro until he blew his motor and I bought it.

Carl was the first one I ever saw to make propellers by welding the blades on and hammering on them until they went fast.

A-186-C was Rich Job...the same name of a guy that raced kneeldowns off and on for the last 20 years. This is the YOUNG Rich Job's uncle. Uncle Rich or RE Job Construction fame...Wonderful family. His daughter married Howard Thompson, who won the Needles Marathon in this "A" DeSilva with a B on it. Howard's son, David Thompson owns a Go-Kart Shop in Temecula, California.

Lo Ball, 340-C was Ward Rogers, he had a son who raced A runabout for awhile.

B-534-C-C was Mac McClellan from Long Beach.

524-C was Gene Bettis.

This picture is from is from TV Guide...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-03-2004 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default TV Racing...

Dick Lane announced all 26 weeks of racing. He got so he really loved the sport. He'd come early to moring testing and you could hear him practiceing his commentary...He's same when a runabout would bounce "Whoa Neely"...He loved the 36 Runabouts, becasue they went slow and he could see the action develop. And on TV speed doesn't really show...

Every live broadcast started witha TROPHY Dash. 2-C was Howard Thompson who, by his numberber, told the story. Unbeatable. but this day Junior Hill, my brother got the jump on Howard, which was UNUSUAL....Junior was the worst starter in the state, but Russ won this trophy dash. He always ran C-6 as his was a LOYAL ALKY driver. Russ loved the Stocks, but really his heart never left the fitting of piston, polishing heades and gas tanks of the ALKY days...

Here is russ coming up to be interviewed, his boat waas called the Bellflower Flash!!!! At Long Beach State the College newspaper called him Russ Thrill!!!

We invented the three minute gun for TV racing....time was money. Winner got $150 per class and they paid down to 5th, also stuff advertised, live on TV, were given out as prizes..Free Sta-Lube oil every week.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-03-2004 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default At the races...

If you notices, there are cars around the puddle. They had grandstands, but we raced in the winter and it was usually cold. So, if you came early, you could get a parking space, front row on the PUDDLE...

Here Russ is being interview by Dick Lane. Dick called the Hills REAL SHOWMEN... The lady in the pucture was the Vanna White of the time.

We we the number one sports show in the nation. On the way home from the races, prople would honk and wave at us.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle
    Ron: A DeSilva by the looks of it.
    Hi Jeff,

Yep, a DeSilva. My dad had the Merc dealership in the front half of the building, and Ralph and Bill had their business building boats in the back in Culver City, CA building.

During the 50's, all of my runabouts were DeSilvas. I was going to college at USC from 1956 till I graduated in 1960, and I worked part time in the shop doing engine repairs for the customers of Loomis Sales and Service (my dad's business). I worked there with Johnny Craven (292-C) which many of you may remember. He was a close friend and we kept in touch over the years until he passed away.

I had a Swift A-B hydro in the 50's too, but having grown up with runabouts, I was partial to driving them.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howard Thompson wins BU..

Here's a picture of Howard Winnig BU in the Needles Marathon.

He won two new motors....a Mercury and a Champion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default TV Racing

Seem to have LOST the original photo, but this is Dick Lane giving me a set of Proto Tools, live on TV for winning the Most Popular Drive contest!!!

I've still got the ears!!!! and some of the tools..

Who neely, Dcik Lane signed the picture!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raven Craven...

Johnnu Craven, at Needles, in DU.. A champion boat.. He usually ran DeSilva...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same race...

Everett Baggs, from Dana Point in a HOMEMADE boat, rope start KG-9.

Thread Information