Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hal Kelly, Foo Ling ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chad Hill's Dawe A Runabout

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...family&page=13

This was Chad' last A Stock race. He started 45 after winning straight heats at Bakersfield, he was 15 and too big for "A".

Scroll down some, boat has some Hal Kelly lines, doesn't it???

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom Fin

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    My dad never cared about horse power because he said we were racing BOATS......Not horses...

In 1956, I finished third in AU at the Cambridge, Maryland Nationals. I lost to good company. Dean Chenoweth was first and defending National Champion, Bill Schumaker was second.

53 years later, I still feel I would have won that Nationals had I been able to run my good motor. My good motor had been torn down for inspection and we were headed from the Divisionals to the Nationals and no way to put it back together, plus every part of my good motor was polished or chrome plated (California Bling), my Old man feared we'd get DQ'd for the polish, so we ran a BONE STOCK engine and gave away 1 mph.

After the Nationals this picture was posted in Boat Sport of the AU start. The picture hangs in our shop today. But, in studying the picture, I decided to back cut my fin on the angle of the water. I picked up 1 1/2 mph by doing this.

All my runabouts after that had "Back Cut" fins. Running a fin backward is almost the same thing, in the fact that the fin can come out of the water and not drag...

Also, the backward fin has less leading edge to cut through the water (4") compared to 6". More drag, less speed...

So, a shark's fin may be better under water, but a boat runs out of the water part of the time...
    The way the drawing looks, is exactly the way everyone mounted them with the long slope from top to bottom going aft as the leading edge. Did you actually turn them around, or did you cut the bottom edge so that it was slightly deeper in the front then the rear so it cleared the water on the straights?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default So Right!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    I would also agree that a KG9 would be a handful on a B, Would you be able to reign in the porpoise?
    I ran a speeditwin on a 10' van pelt , took some setup but sure was fun as i was only about 160 then.
    Richard

Thread Information