Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Formula1 Oz Tunnel Boats

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile MolinariBert Hines

Hi Ron,
    Wow thats a great run down, i will be visiting Bert in the next couple of weeks hopefully, would you like to pass any messages on to him? he and his wife Helen still live in Sydney and are very well I will pass on the message we have spoken on the internet. Thanks. Yes your boat is very similar, I think Bert may have seen yours and wanted one the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell Bert and Helen...

Tell them to get on here and post some pictures...Bert had quite a background in this business..

Tell them also, that I'm glad they are doing well....and no I'm not coming to visit....

I looked off and on all day, for a post I did with Bert and Helen in the picture, but failed to find it...

I did find, however, a picture of Scotti in a blue and white Scotti, V-6 boat that was JUST LIKE Bert's Scotti that he got from Mike Wallace... I also found a picture of my old Scotti, now in Australia, that Bert Hines sold for me.... ANd I found apicture of me, in my old Scotti, October, 1973, just days before my daughter was born...My wife scored the race, and Molly Bleau worried the whole race that my wife would go into labor right there at the race...I won, on a Lake my dad loved...His mother's home was on that lake, and my dad died living on that lake...I was the first and only one in my family to win a race there...

ADD: Ask Bert about the history of his Bullet Boats he built!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Bert Hines Molinari

Hi Ron,
    I will pass on your message that you will be visiting Bert and Helen for christmas! I would like to find and restore your old boat if it is around anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a caution.....That is a LOT of boat and engine. Back in the day the worst accidents were reserved for those who put a newer generation motor on an older generation hull (Ron can back me up on this).... which is precisely what you seem to be doing....... not to mention the fact that even a CCC on that boat is a true handful.

Bottom line be very careful......... always watch the horizon..and don't feel you need to run wide open......

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caution

T2X brings up a very good point. We never had much luck putting V8's on boats designed for the V6. The additional weight and power changed the balance enought to make the boat handle poorly. I love to see the old boats restored, but must always remind myself of all the really good drivers who were hurt in boats before safety cells. You are creating a wonderful toy but remember it can kill you, treat it with the utmost respect.

Between the CCC V6 and V8 we built some 3-litre V6 Loopers which were used by the factory drivers. They ran on the CCC midsection and made really good power. Code name was 727. Renato would have had one. Perhaps this is what may have been on your boat. When the V8's were available all the 727's were returned to Waukegan.

Preserving OMC Heritage LIQUID NIRVANA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I need your help to save our heritage!!

Can you please help me to save the heritage of OMC. I can only do so much. I'm spending 14 hours a day on it now. If WE don't do it it will be gone forever. I am trying to bring all those seen and unseen images, video's & accumulated knowledge which has been hidden for too long. It like doin your family tree. If WE don't do it those who are with us now & those who come after us will lose it forever. Please get involved. OUR heritage is part of you.

See the beginings here http://community.webshots.com/user/LIQUIDNIRVANA
    My email is

kenfin2006@yahoo.com.au

In anticipation of your help, I THANK YOU

Ken Finlay

Post Thanks / Like

Jim:

About 2 years ago Jimbo and I were talking about old stuff, and he was telling me about the 727.

If I remember correctly, 727 was a "code" for something, but I cannot remember what.

Can you explain?

Joe Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by NERSTROM
    T2X brings up a very good point. We never had much luck putting V8's on boats designed for the V6. The additional weight and power changed the balance enought to make the boat handle poorly. I love to see the old boats restored, but must always remind myself of all the really good drivers who were hurt in boats before safety cells. You are creating a wonderful toy but remember it can kill you, treat it with the utmost respect.

Between the CCC V6 and V8 we built some 3-litre V6 Loopers which were used by the factory drivers. They ran on the CCC midsection and made really good power. Code name was 727. Renato would have had one. Perhaps this is what may have been on your boat. When the V8's were available all the 727's were returned to Waukegan.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Molinari OZ

Thanks for your warnings on the potential danger of this rig, it is accepted that it will be fast and dangerous and will be driven with much respect, and will also be used in a semi competitive nature, not flat out gunnel to gunnel racing .
    It is intersteing that it stands out as a scary machine as I would expect an Alison or STV at 130 - 140Mph a more scary proposition!

This old boat was used last , ten to twenty years ago with a moded 300 4LtrV8 on a CCC mid with a shifting OMC box and did that quite well and achieved speeds up to 130 mph winning many races here, I feel it should run quite well with a lighter engine with a bit more power and quick foot.
    And before that ran quite well with a 327 Chev on its end, didnt corner well but that was a weight issue, we should have overcome that I believe.
    Tell me are we nuts or sort of on track? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guy hanson
    This old boat was used last , ten to twenty years ago with a moded 300 4LtrV8 on a CCC mid with a shifting OMC box and did that quite well and achieved speeds up to 130 mph winning many races here, I feel it should run quite well with a lighter engine with a bit more power and quick foot.
    And before that ran quite well with a 327 Chev on its end, didnt corner well but that was a weight issue, we should have overcome that I believe.
    Tell me are we nuts or sort of on track? Thanks
    None of those setups makes me stop and say: "Gee I wanna drive THAT"

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC 727 motor

Does anyone have a 727 Motor or have any pictures or information? sounds like something not too many of us have any knowledge of? it would be great to know how it compared to the Mercury race motor of the time, and was it the same as the V8 with two less cylinders????

Thread Information